Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,853 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
My family and I are thinking of moving to Stone Mountain, GA in the spring of this year. I have heard both good and bad things about the area, and I am really torn. I found what I think is a nice home on Saxony Ct in Countryside Manor Sub division. Is this a good area? My kids will be in Jr. High and High School next year. Are the schools go there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 06:10 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1happywife View Post
Hello Everyone,
My family and I are thinking of moving to Stone Mountain, GA in the spring of this year. I have heard both good and bad things about the area, and I am really torn. I found what I think is a nice home on Saxony Ct in Countryside Manor Sub division. Is this a good area? My kids will be in Jr. High and High School next year. Are the schools go there?
Stone Mountain is home to a large, affluent, African American community, but there are some higher crime areas. I would look at the school that serves the subdivision that you mentioned, and look at the reviews and test scores on greatschools.net. The school report card for the Georgia Public Policy Commission can also give you school info.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Question Hello Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Stone Mountain is home to a large, affluent, African American community, but there are some higher crime areas. I would look at the school that serves the subdivision that you mentioned, and look at the reviews and test scores on greatschools.net. The school report card for the Georgia Public Policy Commission can also give you school info.

Does anyone else no anything about Saxony Ct.?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
Are you use to diversity? If so, you won't find it there-- the schools that your children attend will be all African-American. I tell you this, because DeKalb, especially S. DeKalb suffers from lots of "regrets' when out of towners move in not realizing there is no diversity, esp. in the schools.

ST. Mountain Middle is a brand new school building, though it is an old school (just got a new building)

2006-2007 State of Georgia K-12 Report Card

2006-2007 State of Georgia K-12 Report Card

Is your high schooler a good student? If not, please understand that in Georgia high schoolers must pass 4 tests to graduate, and many don't. Three in ten students at St. Mountain High dropped out. Georgia has a very poor track record in terms of high school completion.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Wow, thanks for that info.
I am one who believes strongly in education, and I have work hard to make sure my children stay on top of their grades. It is sad to hear Georgia has such bad school systems.
Do you know anything about the area we are interested in moving in? The zip is 30083 the street is called Saxony ct. It is in the subdivision called Countryside Manor.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,775,588 times
I heard a rumor that Stone Mountain has a lot of foreclosures right now. Is that true?

Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 PM

22 posts, read 76,932 times
1happywife,

I'm a realtor here in Gwinnett county. I looked up the property on Saxony Ct. I have to ask what is your budget and why must you move to the Stone Mtn. area. You may be able to find a better property if you are willing to look around.

Send me a private message and I'll give you my contact information and see if I can help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: