Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2011, 12:31 PM

17 posts, read 27,439 times

Advertisements

HELLO.
My family and I are moving to GA (or maybe Auburn,AL) next month.My husband is opening up a fast casual mexican restaurant. I was transferred to ATL for my job (Delta F/A). We would like to be less than 1 hr to Columbus GA since we have family there and might need help with our 6 month old while I am on trips for work. And less than 1 hr 30 mins from the airport.
But most importantly we need a good city that can support another local mexican restaurant. We are unable to find a good location in Columbus GA.

Is Auburn a good city to raise a family? Would it be a crazy commute to the airport two times a week ?

SO please help us figure out which city would be the best for us!! I am getting very stressed and time is running out..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Auburn would be a difficult commute. Have you checked Newnan, Ga or perhaps LaGrange, Ga?

Old 09-18-2011, 04:12 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Well...

with google maps the airport is 1 hr 40 minutes (100 miles) from Hartsfield. I think you realize its a long commute, but you wouldn't do it often and you appear to be up for that.

What I'm curious about is.. when?... if you ever have to drive that route during rush hour (or future freeway construction can cause problems as well, especially during summer vacation season with all the extra cars on the road) you can easily add an extra 30min-1hr to that commute.

Also, from what we have seen with gas prices... It is inevitable the prices will go up over time. It is truly a supply and demand issue. There is more worldwide demand and less supply. If you are buying into property (restaurant and home) long-term... I would ask yourself... worse case scenario.... if the price of gas doubles... can you still do that commute?

I also noticed Columbus/Phenix City are about the same distance away Hartsfield as Auburn, AL. If you do give yourself a long commute being in Columbus would at least let you be near your friends and keep from having to drive to Columbus and then Hartsfield.

I would also check into Lagrange. It might not be as nice as Auburn is, but it is where I-185 hits I-85 and goes straight to Columbus, so it is an easy drive. It is also only 60 miles from Hartsfield.

If you want to be closer to Atlanta... I would recommend Newnan. It is a fast growing suburban/exurban area. One thing I want to spot out... it is also quickly growing new businesses and restaurants near I-85. That shows there is enough demand for new local businesses to open. Granted, I don't know how many Mexican restaurants there are specifically or how busy they are. Whereever you go... I would eat out at existing local Mexican food 10-15 times before moving into a city. Go at different times and different days of the week. Count customers... see what they order.... and tally up how much money you could make.

That is the easiest to do a quick "analysis" if the local demand for Mexican food is greater than or less than what is already available.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:33 PM

64 posts, read 215,062 times
You should move to Newnan its still growing very fast here i think a new mexican restaurant would do great here because all the mexican restaurants already here always have a long wait

Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 PM

Thank you for everyones feedback. It is definitely helping me!!

I would love love to live in Newnan BUT when I googled mexican restaurants there were so many that popped up which made my husband very nervous. And a couple of them seem very nice and I have heard its a small city. But Thank you for telling me that they are always busy. My next question about Newnan is .. During lunch hours are the restaurants dead do to most people working outside of Newnan?

We have looked in Columbus to open a restaurant but have not seen any ideal spots. We liked Columbus Crossing but its full of chains and I feel we would be overlooked.We found a place in downtown but they wanted us to be larger than we are comfortable with.

I am not familiar with Lagrange. Do they have a lot of restaurants and stores or does everyone go to Columbus when needing to pick up things?

I feel like I am overlooking some cities but I know i am being very picky with wanting to be close to the airport,family and a great place for our restaurant...

Old 09-19-2011, 04:57 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,774,652 times
Quote:
I am not familiar with Lagrange. Do they have a lot of restaurants and stores or does everyone go to Columbus when needing to pick up things?
LaGrange is a city of 30,0000 residents, has a local college and a large industrial park with several Fortune 500 companies represented. Residents may go into Columbus for some shopping and dining but not a daily occurance.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:35 AM

562 posts, read 1,127,231 times
Outside of Columbus, Newnan and Auburn would likely give your business it's greatest potential for growth. La Grange wouldn't be bad either.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:45 AM

We have decided to open the Restaurant in Newnan. Since there are so many mexican places we are going to go with a new orleans themed cajun place so keep an eye out for us .. Thank you again for everyones feedback

Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,777,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompson10 View Post
We have decided to open the Restaurant in Newnan. Since there are so many mexican places we are going to go with a new orleans themed cajun place so keep an eye out for us .. Thank you again for everyones feedback
Wow, what a change!

Good Luck!

I hope everything works out well for you and you like Newnan!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 PM

Thank you! This is my new thread if anyone in the Newnan area can help

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...l#post21307743
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta