Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:55 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't get it.

The drawing looks like every other mega office complex in the area.

What exactly is new here?
I see major differences. I see buildings that are sitting on the street. It's not set far back from the roads amongst a "garden-like" setting. It has pedestrian plaza's. It has street-level retail and restaurants. It is near a transit station. Dunwoody isn't ever going to be downtown but this can be a vast improvement.

A lot of the people could live in a highrise in Midtown or Buckhead and take MARTA directly to the workplace. It's definitely not the same at all to the original Perimeter Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:12 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
The main difference is the main building, being built now on the old Chequers site will connect to the Marta platform. So it's looked at as more progressive. Sad thing is, majority of the assoc that work there including myself can't take it, because we either live too close or where the Marta doesn't extend. Out of all the State Farm projects I think the Atlanta and Phoenix go neck and neck. Dallas City Line looks plain and boring.
Wait, they closed Chequers? What the What! Granted, I have not been there in a while, but I did enjoy their crab cakes.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
I never thought of Dunwoody as an outdated suburb. It seems like a better-than-average suburb to me. This is a good looking development, but I don't see it transforming the entire area.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Wait, they closed Chequers? What the What! Granted, I have not been there in a while, but I did enjoy their crab cakes.
The last time I went to Chequers was about 25 years ago. It was there for a long time.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:36 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
The State Farm concept for these hubs is "live, work, play" right there.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:59 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I never thought of Dunwoody as an outdated suburb. It seems like a better-than-average suburb to me. This is a good looking development, but I don't see it transforming the entire area.
Same here, Joe. I used to work out there, in Sterling Point across from the California Pizza Kitchen on A-D.

Dunwoody has morphed into one of the most successful 'Edge Cities' out there, with a traditional very nice suburb attached. The commercial area around the mall is set to explode, and the CID has a handle on it as much as they can in my opinion.

Out of State Farms 3 new ops centers in Phoenix, Dallas and here this seems to be the most urban in design. The first tower going up now will have direct platform access to the Dunwoody train station.

With the updated plans released today, along with High Street set to go across the street I'm guessing the area around the mall will shortly resemble the area around Lenox.

Welcome to High Street

Old 05-02-2015, 03:12 AM

410 posts, read 432,554 times
Yes I was going to bring up High street, with all the development and future plans this area will have a pretty dense skyline

Old 05-02-2015, 05:12 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
It moved to East Cobb at GA 120/Johnson Ferry.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,897 times
Unfortunately most will not be taking a train and the area is can't accommodate traffic as it is.

It's insane that more traffic would be dropped right there - with many commuters likely trying to get on 285 WB.... and will be stuck because of the major flaw of having a ramp onto 285 where existing 285 traffic is blocked them in (to get onto 400).

Yes I know there are plans to change that years from now.

I'm willing to bet most who comment that I'm just wanting to complain don't get stuck on Ravinia Drive every night for 30 minutes just to make it through the traffic light at Ravinia and Ashford Dunwoody Road

Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

I'm willing to bet most who comment that I'm just wanting to complain don't get stuck on Ravinia Drive every night for 30 minutes just to make it through the traffic light at Ravinia and Ashford Dunwoody Road
I'm glad I work in Cumberland for this reason. It doesn't have the same side street traffic problems as Perimeter Center or even Buckhead. They were even smart and made a separate lane that curves around to avoid US 41 and goes straight to the 75N/S and 285E C/D road. A bunch of right turns, no lights, no stop signs, no waiting in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta