Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

DC metro or Atlanta, cost of living, more education people, sizable black middle class, cultural activities, diversity, young educated black professional with masters degrees

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 03:02 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times

Advertisements

Whatever city you choose, live in the city to really experience what the city has to offer. Choose a suburb and you might as well stay where you are. Between these 2 cities I would definately pick D.C. They are so different imo. Between these 2 D.C. imo is a much better city culturally, architecturally, for bike and pedestrian friendliness, better public transporatation and less car dependent and a more interesting city imo. I lived in D.C. for years and use to always attend the Howard/Morehouse games. No one mentioned Houston which was voted best city for blacks in yet another publication a few years ago. It has over 2 million residents but has more blacks than the entire population of Atlanta. Chicago and New York are great choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 12:51 PM

49 posts, read 232,477 times
Default Go to D.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving?? View Post
Ok,
I have to be honest. I want to live in a city with a big black population. Right now I am in Seattle so if that tells you anything or you can just go read the Seattle forum. I have been reading the pros and cons on both but I need more info. I want an area that is safe enough for me to use my common sense and not always have to look behind my shoulder. I want museums, bookstores, culture, restaurants,malls, colleges , great scenary, and 4 seasons, family friendly, diversity, etc. etc.

Recent grad with masters degree
young black professional
will rent an apt.

I guess, I just need help, I don't know what else to say...I want to know what you liked and didn't like about the areas and which one you prefer and why..I need all the information you can give me. A one time visit just don't justify what you all can tell me. All info needed. Crime, traffic, job market, public transportation, info on things to do, info on churches, info on diversity--- i need it all and anything else you can think of ..Also if you think there is a better area or better city than D.C. metro or Atlanta with lots of black people and all the things I listed, I want to know so I can research it--any recommendations welcome! Thanks
This is interesting because I was born and lived in Seattle until I was 9, moved and was raised in Atlanta, and I've visited D.C. and plan to relocate there later this year.

I understand your situation in Seattle regarding black population. We aren't abundant or even visible there. Now if you want to see a refreshing and vibrant black environment. Atlanta and D.C. are 2 very good choices. I would advise you to go to D.C.

Honestly, Atlanta is becoming too crowded, the city and the surrounding suburbs. IMO you will see middle class blacks here, but many are very materialistic and bougie. Alot of native Georgians are getting really angry too. And if you don't have family down here already it will be very hard for you to meet people who you can establish a serious connection with. A while ago they called Atlanta the "Black Mecca". Not anymore. Marta sucks.Traffic is horrible too. Worse than Seattle and D.C. in my opinion. And I don't know if you are a woman or man. If you are a woman, don't expect to meet your soul-mate. I'll be honest and say, me being a black man, I can't see myself having a serious relationship here because of the density of woman. It's sad, but true and many men feel the same way as myself.

Now after all that, DMV (D.C., Maryland, Virginia) is just a better alternative. There's much more culture and attractions to experience. It has 4 seasons. A vehicle is not a necessity unless you absolutely need one. It's much more diverse than Atlanta, but still has a strong black population that you are looking for. And it's not in a drought. Baltimore is 1 and a half hour train ride away and NYC is 3 hours. Many young black prof. like ATL. Has an urban feeling of a big city although it compares weakly to huge cities like NYC or CHI.

I could go on and on but I'm tired. I might come back later and bring some statistics of the 2 cities.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 PM

315 posts, read 761,143 times
Honey do not bother with new york because while it is the most exciting place on earth it will give you a headache. There is too much congestion, too much attitude and the price of living is way to high. Try atlanta first because you can get a house with a yard for cheaper than the cramped apartments in nyc. And atlanta has just as many fabulous restaurants and shopping as nyc. And as someone said earlier you will have no problem meeting really nice people in atlanta.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:54 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic215 View Post
I will not try to be biased in my comment, because i currently live in DC and I planning on moving to Atlanta.

Atlanta and D.C. are the same in alot of ways, but my friends and I say Atlanta is a nicer version of D.C.

Now both city's have a nice sized black population, both areas have all of what you are looking for. But the thing about the DC metro area is that i would say people are not as friendly or nice as the Atlanta area. I live in PG county and I have visited Atlanta ALOT in the last few years.

Since you have a masters you have to look at what kind of industry you are in and what industry will be good for the area you want to move to. Such as DC is full of government, and contractors so if you want to work in the government or be a consultant it would be a good for you. (Because if your not in the Government in DC you will be running the rat race.) If not I would look at another area, because the cost of living is extremely HIGH to live in a NICE place. I live in the only gated apts in PG county and it cost me 1440 a month for a 2 bed room.

And dc does have alot of black people but everything is clique-ish not alot of people are as outgoing or friendly as in Atlanta. Atlanta is so easy to meet people, not just from Atlanta but from alot of other places in the nation. So it is a good mixing bowl. Another thing is that there are 100 times more restaurants in Atlanta then there are in DC area that are good places to eat at. Both places have the same amount of crime and the transportation is just as bad in both places. But DC has a better public transportation system set up.

My vote is for Atlanta for me personally the friendliness of the people is important for me, and also the cost of living is cheaper, more types of job opportunities. Atlanta has alot of fortune 500 companies there. Atlanta has a better culture for black people then DC does, if that is what your looking for in my opinion.

But another place to look at is Charlotte, NC it is a city on the rise with a large Black population, there big industry is banking so it wont be hard to find a job there. Plus Charlotte is booming alot of people are moving there. So research that city too.

Hope that helps
I would personally not recommend Charlotte, Raleigh or NC in general. I have lived in Charlotte (actually went to college there) and also Raleigh...Both of these "cities" are good only for the following 3 groups of people:

-Retirees
-Families with small children
-College students

If one does not belong in one of the above groups, I would not recommend moving there. Both Charlotte and Raleigh are quiet and charming but not a lot to do, compared to DC for example. And it is very hard to get a good job too since many are transferring to jobs down there. Even though many blacks do live there, they are not necessarily "well-to-do" or middle-class. In contrast, D.C has a lot of well-to-do blacks and getting a job is much much easier there. I would not go by what I read in Money magazine, BET, etc who say that such and such town or city is the "best place to live". That is truly misleading and untrue. I don't know what criteria they use to rate a place for being the best for a certain group of people but just know it is all fake! Remember this: the only way to see the true flavor of any town/city is to actually live there for a while (like about 2 years), then its true colors will be revealed! Getting to know a town/city is just like getting to know a person. To get to know a person, you need to spend a lot of time around that person and observe him/her over a LONG period of time, then his/her true colors will come out. If I had to choose between ATL and DC, I would choose DC if the high standard of living, the congestion and high HIV rate does not bother you. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2008, 04:01 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving?? View Post
Ok,
I have to be honest. I want to live in a city with a big black population. Right now I am in Seattle so if that tells you anything or you can just go read the Seattle forum. I have been reading the pros and cons on both but I need more info. I want an area that is safe enough for me to use my common sense and not always have to look behind my shoulder. I want museums, bookstores, culture, restaurants,malls, colleges , great scenary, and 4 seasons, family friendly, diversity, etc. etc.

Recent grad with masters degree
young black professional
will rent an apt.

I guess, I just need help, I don't know what else to say...I want to know what you liked and didn't like about the areas and which one you prefer and why..I need all the information you can give me. A one time visit just don't justify what you all can tell me. All info needed. Crime, traffic, job market, public transportation, info on things to do, info on churches, info on diversity--- i need it all and anything else you can think of ..Also if you think there is a better area or better city than D.C. metro or Atlanta with lots of black people and all the things I listed, I want to know so I can research it--any recommendations welcome! Thanks
I'm sure the 'racist' crap will come out for this comment...but you say you want a city with low crime, thriving arts/culture scene, and 'lots of black people'.....You may be pretty hard pressed to get that.
Maybe there's one I'm unaware of, but when I think of cities with majority black populations I think of:
Atlanta
Detroit
Cleveland
Baltimore
Gary, IN
Milwaukee
Memphis
D.C.
St. Louis

They are all high in crime, and/or lacking any type of cultural scene.

So maybe you need to be willing to live around more crackers, or change your question to include that you just want to be "near" one of these cities.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:25 AM

86 posts, read 415,948 times
All I can say to the above comment is WOW. Back to the OP request: I'm relocating to ATL for culture, entertainment, and a better quality of life. I'm presently in a suburb outside of Cincinnati, Ohio. I hate it here, there is no type of adult entertainment here and that is what Im looking for. No decent artists give concerts or anything here. We don't even have a decent pro football/baseball team LOL. Also the racial tension here is extremely high and the gangs/violence is ridiculous. I looked into the DC area but I was worried about the high cost of living. I know that I love ATL weather, diversity, affordable living, entertainment scene and I have family there...LOL. You just need to decide what is MOST important to you and then make your decision. A friend of mine moved from ATL to Charlotte and she said she hates it and is moving back to ATL as soon as her residency is over. She says there are alot of black people in Charlotte but its VERY slow esp when you are used to the ATL scene. I must agree with another poster that if you're looking for the Suburbs then it really doesn't matter where you go. That is why we are looking to rent ITP where there is more diversity in all aspects. Beside my almost 18 yo dtr needs to be close to things and not have to depend on me to take her everwhere so being close to any type of transportation is a plus.

Last edited by SynMelRN2007; 01-27-2008 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: ****ed up typing

Old 01-27-2008, 09:47 AM

663 posts, read 1,863,777 times
Another issue with Atlanta in general is that if you are from a larger and/or more established city, then it can become quite boring here after a while. But where can you really escape to for a bit? The DC area is a convenient 1 hour drive to Baltimore, 2-2.5 hrs. from Philadelphia, and 4.5 hours from NYC. You've got the shore closer by and real skiing not too far away. This is more than Atlanta can say.

Also, there is very little tradeoff when it comes to weather between Atlanta and D.C. They have very similar climates summer and winter. I would not even consider that as a factor. Between Boston and Atlanta? Yes. Between D.C. and Atlanta? Marginal differences.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:56 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
Just another litle tid bit... if travel (national/international) means anything to you, pick DC! There, you have MULTIPLE international airports to choose from. You'd have the luxury of picking the airport with the cheaper fares. Ugh, I REALLY miss having multiple airports. The closest international airport to ATL is Birmingham... I mean, Southwest flies there, but usually it's not worth it.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
agd

1 posts, read 2,393 times
I feel like I am in the same boat. I currently live in Seattle-Tacoma area. I too am currently researching a new residency. There is defiantly money to be made in Seattle but if you are a young black women with a head on your shoulder forget about having a social life or getting a man. Not to be rude but the few good brothers that do live out this way are excited about white and Asian women. I myself have been to ATL several times and DC once. I think it all depends on your career and how much money you are making. ATL does not have the best job market, compared to Seattle or DC. I know people that live in ATL with college degrees and work 2 jobs. One of my good friends just moved to DC and he loves it. Although he did say the cost of living is high but you are so close in proximity to Philly, NY, etc. there is always something to do. Unlike Seattle where you can either go to Canada or Portland. Just a note: Do not move to ATL without a job. Also ATL is becoming more like LA, everyone wants to be a superstar. So really checkout your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta