Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times

Advertisements

Could the Chattahoochee River become Atlanta

Quote:
Atlanta is a rarity among big cities for its lack of a waterfront. Well, it has one in the Chattahoochee River, which forms a healthy chunk of the city's northwest border. And that part of the vital waterway south of the popular Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area isn't an area many people venture to in order to relax.

A massive plan is in the works to change that, however, by redeveloping a 53-mile stretch of the Chattahoochee south of Vinings as public parks and private uses. On May 7, a vision for this new River Park — including a line of towers to highlight the now-overlooked river's course — created by Georgia Tech students was unveiled as inspiration for a planning process that will launch early next year.

"The Atlanta region does not know it has a river," said Richard Dagenhart, an emeritus professor of architecture at Georgia Tech, presenting the students' studio work at the Museum of Design Atlanta. He likened the river's opportunity and potential to the Atlanta Beltline, which was also hatched by a Georgia Tech student.

Advocating for the river's rebirth is Chattahoochee NOW, a Decatur-based nonprofit that has partnered with practically every government agency around; fellow big-thinkers like Atlanta Beltline Inc. and the PATH Foundation; and many real estate interests, too. Its board chair, Jodi Mansbach, is a vice president at development titan Jamestown, which in addition to Ponce City Market is creating the Riverview Landing mixed-use project along the river in Mableton.

Accessibility, as well as assembling land for redevelopment, are big challenges. But, Dagenhart notes, many streets and bridges already provide public rights-of-way that are "low-hanging fruit" for expansion. And in a really big plan, the students envisioned MARTA extending light rail from the Bankhead and Hamilton Holmes stations to a 10-mile stretch of railroad along the river, where a new route could shuttle between attractions.

"This 53-mile corridor has the opportunity to increase value — through the attraction and retention of businesses and residents — while providing more access to nature," Kettering said in an email. "The river has historically been a divide. These plans illustrate how it can be a unifying attraction for the region."
Would be awesome to see the Chattahoochee turned into a proper waterfront with connections to intown. Wonder how Cobb will react to their moat getting flipped to a place to bring people in the region together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:25 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,910 times
There are many affluent homeowners along the most northwesterly stretches of the Chattahoochee River. Further south and west, it is pretty industrial/ ugly. I have always felt that the former site of Bankhead Courts (really right on the bank of the Chattahoochee) would make an excellent site for a glorious river front development. In my imagination I have envisioned an Atlantic Station type development with retail, restaurants, offices, condos, and townhomes. Stretching across both sides of Bankhead Highway along the riverfront, this could really be a fantastic catalyst for redevelopment to neglected and "down on their heels" parts of West Atlanta and truly neighboring cross river Southern Cobb areas. They could really remake Bankhead Highway into a grand Avenue straight into the western edge of downtown/midtown. The street starts off as Bankhead Avenue downtown anyway (U.S. 78) just like Ponce de Leon Avenue (another grand avenue in my opinion. This suggestion has me excited. I hope something comes of it!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:42 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

Would be awesome to see the Chattahoochee turned into a proper waterfront with connections to intown. Wonder how Cobb will react to their moat getting flipped to a place to bring people in the region together.
Why did you feel the need to take an interesting story on a very good idea into a snarky remark against Cobb? For goodness' sake, the Riverview Landing project that is being planned and has been approved is IN Cobb.

It's already a wonderful place for people to come together, on both sides of the river. The stretch of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area between Sope Creek and Vinings is one of the entire region's best assets, and it gets great use on both shorelines. Here's to leveraging the river even more with projects like the ones described in the article.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:48 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,254,683 times
Quote:

That is its present state.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:35 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,217 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Why did you feel the need to take an interesting story on a very good idea into a snarky remark against Cobb? For goodness' sake, the Riverview Landing project that is being planned and has been approved is IN Cobb.

It's already a wonderful place for people to come together, on both sides of the river. The stretch of the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area between Sope Creek and Vinings is one of the entire region's best assets, and it gets great use on both shorelines. Here's to leveraging the river even more with projects like the ones described in the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I strongly second what evannole and Southern man say.

The area mentioned in the article is south of Vinings, along Bankhead and Sic Flags. I'm sure most folks on both sides of the river would love to see some major development in that area.

If people were shouting for "development" along the popular National Recreation Area--Sope Creek or near the Chattahoochee Nature Center, or any other lovely spot to experience nature so close to the city; THEN there'd be a problem.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:39 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
I've always thought the river was an underutilized asset....shoot, freaking Helen makes better use of the river than we do, and up there it's just a little creek!

I use the river all the time because I let my dog swim in it, but it would be nice if there was some good development along it.

This caption really made me laugh:

Quote:
A long stretch of the river south of Vinings could feature a mix of uses. But how would intowners get there?
OMG, how in the world would they ever get there?????

Old 05-22-2015, 11:41 AM
bu2

24,071 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post

Yes. Its been kept kind of natural in that area. The NRA with its hiking trails runs along it. There are some houses and restaurants (Canoe, Ray's on the River). Lovett School is on the river. I think its kind of nice that they haven't made it too commercial in that stretch. Not everyone needs to do their waterways the same way.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:28 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,870,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don't think it's current state counts as a "waterfront" to most people. Look up definitions, it is usually more of an urban "dockside district".

Quote:
Why did you feel the need to take an interesting story on a very good idea into a snarky remark against Cobb?
Not really snarky. I would love to see them get involved, but do you really expect Cobb leadership to get behind a project that will bring "those people" from the city to their border?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:20 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,943 times
Quote:
I would love to see them get involved, but do you really expect Cobb leadership to get behind a project that will bring "those people" from the city to their border?
Chattahoochee NOW news

Quote:
Community Support

Chattahoochee NOW is pleased to have the support of 8 jurisdictions in realizing a new future for the river! The leadership and support from these communities will greatly benefit the river by working collaboratively with Chattahoochee NOW to articulate a vision for the 53-mile corridor that will advance the quality of life of the Atlanta region. Thank you for your support!

- City of Atlanta
- City of Chattahoochee Hills
- City of Douglasville
- City of Smyrna
- Carroll County
- Cobb County
- Douglas County
- Fulton County
Must be that time of the month again, for jsvh's phantom dead horse beating ritual.

No worries, we all have our snarky days.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:41 PM

364 posts, read 418,154 times
The metro can't come together and work for the common good when people from different camps continue to take pot shots at each other any chance they get SMDH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta