Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 PM

6 posts, read 7,212 times

Advertisements

Hi Georgians,
my Taiwan wife, myself from Munich and our sweet (3.5 y) Liz are relocating to GA/Alpharetta for work starting Oct.

We are city dwellers (and not so inclined to subs like Alpharetta ) really and a northern neighborhood is obvious for my daily commute to work in Alpharetta. My wife however will more likely work in Atlanta...

Which northern subs like Brookhaven, Roswell etc would recommend with good (international?) Kindergarten or pre-school and manageable (Marta?) commute into downtown Atlanta?

We love to bike for shopping, socializing etc and were hoping for "European-hipster-Portland" style neighborhood ?

I lived or stayed in San Fran/Portland/Pittsburgh and know these kind of neighborhoods exist.

First visit is prop.in July and we thank a lot in advance for your kind inputs!

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:14 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,363,225 times
The northern quadrant of the City of Atlanta could fit the bill as could parts of Sandy Springs (the first suburb of northern Fulton County heading toward Alpharetta; although a Suburb, Sandy Springs is still one of Georgia's largest cities with a population around 100,000). The problem with both is the horrible commute (going both ways) on Georgia 400 to Alpharetta. Another possibility is Roswell. It is Alpharetta adjacent, has a charming and historic town center, and would get you closer to Alpharetta and other North Fulton job centers. What people say here about the legendary Atlanta traffic is no exaggeration. It really is best, especially with a young child you want to spend time with, to get as close to your workplace as possible. North Fulton (County) schools also have good reputations. There are many fine elementary schools in the northern fridges of the City of Atlanta near the 400 corridor as well, and the middle and high schools can be good as well if you are in the right programs (International Baccalaureate, etc), but the commute may really complicate your family time. Good luck and welcome to Metro Atlanta!

Old 05-22-2015, 08:44 PM

THX Clayton white guy!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:23 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,611,192 times
Hallo,

Check out Dunwoody, it's right next to 400, has a Marta stop to get into downtown and your commute is opposite traffic patterns on the 400.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:15 PM

439 posts, read 852,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyhw View Post
Hi Georgians,
my Taiwan wife, myself from Munich and our sweet (3.5 y) Liz are relocating to GA/Alpharetta for work starting Oct.

We are city dwellers (and not so inclined to subs like Alpharetta ) really and a northern neighborhood is obvious for my daily commute to work in Alpharetta. My wife however will more likely work in Atlanta...

Which northern subs like Brookhaven, Roswell etc would recommend with good (international?) Kindergarten or pre-school and manageable (Marta?) commute into downtown Atlanta?

We love to bike for shopping, socializing etc and were hoping for "European-hipster-Portland" style neighborhood ?

I lived or stayed in San Fran/Portland/Pittsburgh and know these kind of neighborhoods exist.

First visit is prop.in July and we thank a lot in advance for your kind inputs!

H
Please, note, there is no such thing as an "European-hipster-Portland" style to anything in Atlanta; especially the metro. Atlanta is as far from Europe as one can be. There are some quaint places but purely Southern style -- Georgian style housing, bungalows, post-civil-war relics. Atlanta is comprised of amalgamated/incorporated communities/cities that will support the residents within its borders. Otherwise, Atlanta metro caters to the 'urban' style. You can find an 'international' feel with some expat European families. Posters here will say different, but you will see they will mention nothing of Europe but the chamber of commerce, embassies and European restaurants located in strip malls. Bike for shopping? Not so much. Very limited. International Kindergarten or pre-school? You would find those in DC, not Georgia. I do not believe Atlanta caters to international residents and offer bilingual/multilingual schools; not the ones you may be used to at the least.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,221,765 times
I'm sure you can find an area in Metro Atlanta you will like. However, as far as being able to walk lots of places and bike for shopping, the Atlanta area does not have the infrastructure for that. Metro Atlanta is definitely much more suburban than urban, so if you really don't like suburban living, this is something you have to take into consideration and make it work for you.

Atlanta's infrastructure resembles nothing like major urban cites in the U.S. such as New York City, Philadelphia, Pittsburg or Chicago, much less anything you'll find in Europe that can support biking, walking and using transit full-time as a lifestyle. Most of suburban Atlanta does not have sidewalks, are there are many areas in the city of Atlanta that lack sidewalks as well. Many of the newer subdivisions in the suburbs may have been built with sidewalks, but once you get outside of your subdivision, you have to drive everywhere to do your shipping, as there are no sidewalks or bike paths. There are bike paths here and there, but definitively not enough that are in places where you and your family can safely bike to do your shopping on a daily or weekly basis. Also, the public transit system in Atlanta is not expansive and does not cover a lot of the metro. Your job and your home both must directly be on the transit line to make it work, otherwise it is useless. If you do not strategically choose a job and home on MARTA, you will find that you will have to drive all the way to work or drive to get to the nearest bus stop or train station. Also, buses run every 30 minutes to an hour depending on where you are.

Metro Atlanta drivers are impatient and are not considerate or courteous to cyclists or pedestrians. Atlanta drivers consider them a nuisance. The state of Georgia has one on the highest pedestrian death rates in the country. Atlanta area drivers would literally rather hit pedestrians and cyclists than share the road with them or wait a few seconds for them to cross the street. Even when you have the walk light and are crossing in the crosswalk, Atlanta drives will not stop for you. They will even yell and curse at pedestrians for being in their way. With all that being said, quite frankly, Atlanta isn't safe enough to walk or bike as a lifestyle. The infrastructure doesn't support it and the drivers make it too dangerous. There are places for you to bike in nature for exercise, but being able to bike everywhere to socialize and do your shopping like in Denmark or The Netherlands, that doesn't exist in Atlanta.

Atlanta is its own thing and can't be compared to the places I mentioned above. Not saying it's bad, but it's quite different from what you may be accustomed to. The walkable areas in the city will make for along commute if your job is in Alpharetta. Atlanta and its suburbs are set up to accommodate drivers, not cyclists and pedestrians. If you work in Alpharetta, it would be best to live there, or in Roswell, Johns Creek, or Dunwoody, as traffic is bad and commutes can be long.

If you move to that part of metro Atlanta, you will have to accept that you will be living a suburban, car-centric lifestyle. You will have to drive everywhere. Atlanta is not urban in the way you are seeking.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 05-25-2015 at 07:04 AM..

Old 05-25-2015, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the frank yet clear words Alinka72 and AtlantaBD. I lived in Sacramento in the late 90ties and know (and appreciate!) what you're saying about the suburban car culture. We'll scan Dunwoody and Sandy Springs first...

Looking forward to Metro Atlanta though!
Harald

Old 05-27-2015, 10:05 AM

371 posts, read 456,923 times
Hi there! For schools, look into the Riverwood International High School cluster in Sandy Springs: Riverwood Cluster

I know that the middle school and the high school offer several world languages and the IB (International Baccalaureate) program. I'm not sure about the elementary schools, but do take a look at the website. If you can afford private school, you will also have great preschool options in Buckhead that have an international focus as well.

You guys sound like a fun family. Good luck!!

Old 05-29-2015, 06:59 AM

550 posts, read 989,785 times
Look into Saturday German language school for your daughter. There s a large community of Germans here!

Old 05-29-2015, 11:25 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,730 times
I think you're going to be weighing what is most important to you - the commute time or the no-car culture you desire. The bicycling and walking culture does exist here in Atlanta - I live like that everyday. I bike to work, I take MARTA bus and rail to go out at night, and I walk to local restaurants/bars/breweries. However, I'm lucky enough to have a job that is in Atlanta, and not in a suburb. If you the urban lifestyle is most important to you, check out the following neighborhoods, ordered by proximity to Alpharetta (1 being closest). Keep in mind that all are between a 30-40 minute drive to Alpharetta without traffic, def. doable if you don't work the traditional 9-5 hours. Each of these neighborhoods is very bikable, walkable, and transit (MARTA) accessible. You'll need a car in Atlanta - but my wife and I share 1, and I have never felt stuck. We are a big city and we are progressing in terms of alternate modes of transportation, but we can't be compared to European cities in terms of that lifestyle. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are a few international schools intown - but maybe somebody else knows better. If not, all the ones already mentioned are on the way to Alpharetta

1) Midtown
2) Virginia-Highland
3)Downtown
4)Old Fourth Ward
5) Inman Park
6) Cabbagetown
7) Grant park
8) Glenwood Park
9) Decatur

If your wife works in Atlanta, she'll likely be able to get to/from her job from any of these neighborhoods via MARTA or biking. However, you'll need a car to get to Alpharetta, no question. Alpharetta is a far northern suburb, and if you do not like suburbs, I wouldn't recommend it all. I'm not saying it's a bad place, I'm just saying it is the true definition of a suburb. If the commute is more important to you than the urban lifestyle, the other posters have good suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta