Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,066 times

Advertisements

I have heard a lot about holding back summer birthdays but wanted to know if anyone knew of the top private schools (which ones in particular) allowing "red shirting" for spring birthdays for maturity reasons? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:55 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And123 View Post
I have heard a lot about holding back summer birthdays but wanted to know if anyone knew of the top private schools (which ones in particular) allowing "red shirting" for spring birthdays for maturity reasons? Thanks!
Almost all of the private schools will allow you to "red shirt" for any reason.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:08 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times
The next thing you know people will be redshirting kids with January birthdays. G-D forbid the kids born in fall will be more mature possibly.

As you can see I'm an advocate for simply getting your kid ready in time since you know it is coming years in advance instead of saying the kid is possibly immature when it is time to go to school. But that's just me.

OP, our kid goes to private school and actually all of the kids get along well in class and are doing just fine. The birthdays span the entire school year. Some have already turned the next year old and school started in August/September. Some will not turn the next year old until May/June/July. I know this for a fact because I know the parents and the kids are having birthday parties already. My kid is born in spring and he's a boy. We just worked with him and he is and has always been an extremely disciplined, well-behaved student and one of the smartest in the class to boot...irrespective of birth month. I just expect him to act a certain way and instill it in him with discipline and encouragement.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
The next thing you know people will be redshirting kids with January birthdays. G-D forbid the kids born in fall will be more mature possibly.

As you can see I'm an advocate for simply getting your kid ready in time since you know it is coming years in advance instead of saying the kid is possibly immature when it is time to go to school. But that's just me.

OP, our kid goes to private school and actually all of the kids get along well in class and are doing just fine. The birthdays span the entire school year. Some have already turned the next year old and school started in August/September. Some will not turn the next year old until May/June/July. I know this for a fact because I know the parents and the kids are having birthday parties already. My kid is born in spring and he's a boy. We just worked with him and he is and has always been an extremely disciplined, well-behaved student and one of the smartest in the class to boot...irrespective of birth month. I just expect him to act a certain way and instill it in him with discipline and encouragement.
And many spring birthdays are like your child, even without much extra practice/work at home. But, for some boys and girls, the extra time is a gift. I have two children with fall birthdays and as they aged, I have to say that being the oldest (and often more mature than their peers) certainly wasn't a negative thing.
I loved that my kids were among the first to drive in their class, because it met that they weren't riding with inexperienced peers. (We didn't let them drive friends for a full year, so they were just driving themselves, but no arguments about riding with friends.)

Old 11-10-2014, 04:19 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,844 times
Westminster now has a hard cut-off of June 1st.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post

I disagree. Your evidence is anecdotal. You cannot extrapolate based on your ease of preparing your child that every child will take to academic work at the same pace if exposed. My children come from a long line of educators, great preschools, tons of exposure, otherwise very social and talkative, inquisitive etc... and they absolutely HATed and had no interest in written symbols through age 5. Sorry!!

Old 11-12-2014, 02:51 PM

126 posts, read 287,781 times
I held back my August 30th birthdate girl by a year...and I couldn't have been happier with that decision for her. She really benefited from that extra year and has blossomed into a confident middle schooler who handles things very well.....

Old 11-13-2014, 07:13 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And123 View Post
Of course they will. How do you think private schools are able to brag that their kids are a year ahead of the public schools?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Of course they will. How do you think private schools are able to brag that their kids are a year ahead of the public schools?
Which private schools are bragging that? Where we live in Buckhead the public elementaries follow roughly the same curriculum as the privates and redshirting is equally as common in the public elementary schools.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Which private schools are bragging that? Where we live in Buckhead the public elementaries follow roughly the same curriculum as the privates and redshirting is equally as common in the public elementary schools.
Maybe its an OTP thing. The ones that I talked to when I was investigating public versus private all bragged that their kids were "a year ahead" of public schools. I quickly found out it was because they were holding many of their students back a year at K or at 1, especially the younger ones (with summer birthdays).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta