Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:57 AM

11 posts, read 18,575 times

Advertisements

We are doing a corporate relo from Cincinnati and have decided to rent, until we learn our way around and get more info as to how long the relo will be. Our price range is $3500-$4200 and we are willing to sign a 2 yr lease. We have decided on Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Roswell area. However, we are having a horrible time finding a nice house!! We have been outbid on 2 properties and the others are snatched up before they are even listed. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,966,235 times
Ugh, tell us about it! That's just what the market is like right now, especially in those highly sought-after areas.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:28 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,319,019 times
Well, at that price point, your options are going to be pretty limited, I would think. We are probably talking about $600k houses, and most of those are probably going to be owner occupied. I don't think this is the kind of market where people hold on to those kinds of properties as investments. Additionally, in the areas you're considering, properties of that value are likely to be in a neighborhood under the auspices of an HOA, with the usual accompanying caps or outright prohibitions on rentals.

Keep looking and hopefully you will find something that works. Depending on where your jobs are, you might try looking further south in areas like Sandy Springs and Buckhead. There are more older neighborhoods in those areas and they are less likely to have HOAs with rental restrictions.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:43 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,041,241 times
HOA rental restrictions are the real problem in terms of you finding a rental. It doesn't help that the real estate market here is fairly active which is making it more attractive for owners to sell rather than rent.

Long story short, demand is higher than it has been the past couple of years due to employment improving, but supply is constrained in the more family friendly residential areas.

As evannole pointed out, not a lot of people put up their 4 bedroom houses for rent because there aren't a lot of renters with that kind of income that do not opt to buy instead.

I don't have any real suggestions.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:08 PM

404 posts, read 621,475 times
There are 10 listing in MLS in those areas between $3500 - $4500...are you working with a realtor who knows the area? My wife is a realtor (and originally from Cincinnati) she maybe able to help you. PM me if you would like her info.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:53 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,828,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yr1986 View Post
We are doing a corporate relo from Cincinnati and have decided to rent, until we learn our way around and get more info as to how long the relo will be. Our price range is $3500-$4200 and we are willing to sign a 2 yr lease. We have decided on Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Roswell area. However, we are having a horrible time finding a nice house!! We have been outbid on 2 properties and the others are snatched up before they are even listed. Any suggestions??
It just isn't a renter's market in this area right now. I would not say go so far as to say buy first; I would actually say do not do this. I made that mistake and squeaked by selling the house at a good profit right before the crash.

Call a real estate company like Harry Norman or Coldwell Banker to find a home to rent. If you were looking for an apartment, I'd say say give Promove a try. I totally get everything about what you're saying even getting something that is valid if only to save yourself hassle during the relocation.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,267,346 times
Are you looking at Craig's List. There are several houses in your range:
atlanta apartments / housing rentals "alpharetta" - craigslist

Zillow:
Rental Listings in Alpharetta GA - 4 Rentals | Zillow

The apartments at Avalon are supposed to be WOW. Staying there would give you time to look around and get your bearings. You'd have a pool and a lot of luxury amenities including being uber close to the Avalon mall with Whole Foods, a huge movie theater, ice rink in the winter etc. etc.

Good luck!

Alley

Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,082,242 times
I'd look for the largest volume realtor in that area. Doesn't have to be the best, just the largest volume who knows the area extremely well (anyone know who that is?)

You may be able to find a situation where a family is being forced to relocate for a finite period of time, but intends to move back. Most HOAs will allow a rental exception for a situation like this. Say a doctor or something is doing a fellowship overseas or in another state for just 12 months, or something like that. You might even negotiate a deal like you pay less than market rent in exchange for making their lives easier by cutting the grass and arranging your own fixes for anything that breaks in the house up to a certain price point. The highest volume realtors are most likely to know of anyone in this situation. Just a thought.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 AM

8,488 posts, read 15,025,870 times
You'll probably have better luck finding a house to rent in Buckhead, Brookhaven, Dunwoody, or Sandy Springs. North Fulton has only really been heavily populated for about the last 20 years, so most houses there are going to be owner occupied. The other areas I mentioned above are much older, but not lacking in quality in the least.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 18,575 times
Thank you, Alley!! I have looked at everything BUT Craigslist and you are right! There are some great listings on there Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
Are you looking at Craig's List. There are several houses in your range:
atlanta apartments / housing rentals "alpharetta" - craigslist

Zillow:
Rental Listings in Alpharetta GA - 4 Rentals | Zillow

The apartments at Avalon are supposed to be WOW. Staying there would give you time to look around and get your bearings. You'd have a pool and a lot of luxury amenities including being uber close to the Avalon mall with Whole Foods, a huge movie theater, ice rink in the winter etc. etc.

Good luck!

Alley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta