Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 11:26 AM

9 posts, read 9,246 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Our family will hopefully be making the move up to the buford area within a year... ive been looking at the number of hispanics in the area, and im curious as to where they are from? I, myself am cuban, and my husband is colombian. We currently live in south fl so we have a mix of cubans, puertoricans, colombians, venezuelans and central americana.... id like to know what type of hispanic influence there is in georgia? South americans, carribeans, mexicans?.... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 11:36 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
We don't have as big of a Cuban Population. That still seems to be predominately in Southern Florida and NYC.

We do have a big Mexican population and a decent number of Puerto Ricans and Central Americans scattered about.

In short, Gwinnett County. In the western part from Lilburn north of US29, through Norcross, and the southern part of Peacthree Corners. This continues into bordering Dekalb County down a narrow slither on Buford Highway, but there is also a heavy mix of Asians on that stretch.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:39 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Mostly Mexican. Buford Highway / Peachtree Industrial cooridor is the hot spot. Central Cobb and a couple other pockets exist.

I'm personally against concentration of ethnicity since I think it leads to prejudice / racism. However, I understand language barriers can complicate integration.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:41 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
In case this helps

Old 07-12-2015, 11:48 AM

http://hankmillerteam.com/wp-content...racial-map.jpg

Also, go here: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com zoom in on Atlanta and click Hispanic Population.

For specifics used usa.com

Start here: Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Marietta Metro Area Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢

Midway down the page is a map, you can zoom in and choose a smaller area, like census tracts and census block groups. Then click on the population/races tab. It will tell you the amount of hispanics, as well as some of the common populations (Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc..)

Maybe you can find a Cuban/Columbian diamond in the rough (?).

Old 07-12-2015, 12:59 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Like others have said, mostly Mexican. however, I knew a few from Honduras, Venezuela, Colombia, and Costa Rica. Other than that, it's hard to say.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,796 times
I think there is an assumption that most are Mexican, but I really don't know if that's true. My boyfriend is Peruvian and perhaps on sight, it may be assumed that he's Mexican. i am sure there are a lot of Mexicans here, but I pretty much only run into people from Peru (obviously), Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina, and The Dominican Republic.

OP, may I ask you a question though? I have gotten the impression that there is sort of a class thing/pecking order regarding the originating country with your ethnicity. I am American, I don't speak much Spanish, but I'm astute enough to notice a pattern of of words and even an attitude thing regarding some countries. I wasn't really expecting that, but I have been around my boyfriend's family enough to recognize it. Is there a perceived situation based on where the person is from?

Old 07-12-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
I think there is an assumption that most are Mexican, but I really don't know if that's true. My boyfriend is Peruvian and perhaps on sight, it may be assumed that he's Mexican. i am sure there are a lot of Mexicans here, but I pretty much only run into people from Peru (obviously), Cuba, Puerto Rico, Argentina, and The Dominican Republic.

OP, may I ask you a question though? I have gotten the impression that there is sort of a class thing/pecking order regarding the originating country with your ethnicity. I am American, I don't speak much Spanish, but I'm astute enough to notice a pattern of of words and even an attitude thing regarding some countries. I wasn't really expecting that, but I have been around my boyfriend's family enough to recognize it. Is there a perceived situation based on where the person is from?
Check out my earlier links.

The entire metro are is 10.39% Hispanic (as of 2010)

Out of that...

57.4% are Mexican
7.9% are Puerto Rican
3.2% are Cuban
13.8% are from a Central American country
8.7% are from a South American country

Old 07-21-2015, 09:41 AM

9 posts, read 9,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

I think it comes down to differences in "language"(slang, meaning of words in different coutries) a word might mean something in cuba, and a totally different thing in colombia.... i grew up in the united states, and especially here in south florida where there are so many hispanics from different countries, there is definitely a sort of "rivalry" amongst different countries.... therr are alot of sterotypes when it comes to different hispanic countries as well. I dont know why... i dont buy into them, but i know first generation hispanics tend to. I mainly asked thr question about the different hispanics because our food is so different, i primarily want to make sure there is a hispanic isle in the grocery that doesnt just have ingredients for mexican dishes lol. Cuban and mexican food are totally different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta