Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:37 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times

Advertisements

I rarely hear it mentioned and when it is, it's usually in response to folks who like to insinuate that Atlanta is some podunk backwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 07:41 AM

23,493 posts, read 44,162,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I rarely hear it mentioned and when it is, it's usually in response to folks who like to insinuate that Atlanta is some podunk backwater.
In other words, on City-Data.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:41 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,791,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoflin View Post
I mean no disrespect here. I love Atlanta. Heck I love the 1996 Summer Games. It was the first Olympic Games I can remember seeing as a kid, and I loved everything about it. The women's gymnastics team, the opening ceremony....even the weird Izzy mascot. However is it just me or does Atlanta still seem to reference the games a lot? I get that it is/was a source of pride and the underdog story of Atlanta hosting the games to be a great one. However are most other former Olympic game host cities so hung up on former Olympic glory like Atlanta? I just see it mentioned a lot even on this board and throughout the city by locals and such. Atlanta has so much to offer in my eyes and I'd be lying if I didn't say the constant mention of the games seems a little off to me (for lack of a better word). It happened, it was great, it should be acknowledged in history but I feel like the city clings to it too hard. I wasn't in Atlanta when the games occurred and was just a kid, so am I wrong here? Perhaps I can get another perspective.

Maybe it's just seen as some turning point of the city arriving on the world stage. The only other city I have been to that I am aware hosted an Olympic Games was Munich (the 1972 games) and I never really heard anyone mention or saw reference to games with the exception of at the Olympic park that they preserved from the games themselves.
Cities and states are always in competition, competition to bring in businesses, competition to bring in new events. No other city in the South, and only a handful in the world have hosted an Olympics. So, of course, it is mentioned as part of the City's resume.

As far as the comparison with Munich goes (even taking Atlanta's own bombing into account)-maybe having 11 Israeli Olympians massacred in a nation that was trying to deemphasize that it was responsible for the extermination of 6,000,000 Jews, is the reason why the Olympics is not "resume material" for Munich.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:45 AM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
In other words, on City-Data.
Precisely.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:28 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,313,877 times
I hear more references to Sharky's Machine than the olympics in my day-to day life.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,901,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I hear more references to Sharky's Machine than the olympics in my day-to day life.
It's all because of Burt.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:45 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,843,854 times
I haven't heard anyone in Atlanta outside of these boards mention the Olympics since 2000-2001

Old 07-24-2015, 10:45 AM

81 posts, read 154,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Show me an Olympic game since that generated a profit, built venues that are still in use, and used corporate sponsorship to fund the infrastructure.
um...Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 both ended up debt free, made profit, and built some spectacular new venues that are definitely still commonly in use...

East London is booming with new modern housing developments and a recently built mall that puts Lenox Square to shame. Jobs and businesses have increased dramatically in areas that were previously considered tourist-free zones.

Vancouver revitalized it's public transit system and built another monorail line, making the dense city even more accessible without the need of a vehicle. Think Boston/San Francisco walkability.

Sochi from what I heard was a complete disaster, so I understand where you're coming from. Corporate funded infrastructure is also pretty impressive

Last edited by pugsnotdrugsmang; 07-24-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 10:57 AM

16,718 posts, read 29,574,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Show me an Olympic game since that generated a profit, built venues that are still in use, and used corporate sponsorship to fund the infrastructure.

Amen.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,901,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugsmang View Post
um...Vancouver 2010 and London 2012 both ended up debt free, made profit, and built some spectacular new venues that are definitely still commonly in use...

East London is booming with new modern housing developments and a recently built mall that puts Lenox Square to shame. Jobs and businesses have increased dramatically in areas that were previously considered tourist-free zones.

Vancouver revitalized it's public transit system and built another monorail line, making the dense city even more accessible without the need of a vehicle. Think Boston/San Francisco walkability.

Sochi from what I heard was a complete disaster, so I understand where you're coming from. Corporate funded infrastructure is also pretty impressive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games
Vancouver:
Quote:
A final audit conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers released in December 2010 revealed total operation cost to have been $1.84 billion and came in on budget resulting in neither surplus nor deficit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_W...ics#Financials
London:
Made $52M pounds but cost the taxpayers $4.4B pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta