Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 11:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin85 View Post
That's because the DC area is more high maintenance than Baltimore area. It's always been that way for years.
I lived in both cities back in the day and what I found was DC was a much more culturally progressive city than Baltimore, I'm not sure about it just being high maintenance...and this was when DC was the murder capital. Out of all the good times I had in Baltimore I found that it was a place that could feed me culturally or intellectually at that time. The only draw was the low cost of living back in the 90s. I'm sure it has changed somewhat now, but I do understand the attitudes. It's like how NY'ers view Newark, NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 PM

48 posts, read 71,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
What's crazy Is I thought Go Go was garbage in DC because I only heard it on the radio. Never went to see a real Go Go performance. A few years ago here the Chuck Brown band performed here after he passed (RIP) and I went to it. It was so live in there and I was like damn I missed all of this when I lived there lol smh. It's not bad if you like live music
I can listen to Chuck Brown music sometimes but I never seen his performance. I been to two Go Go events during the mid 2000's era with my cousins just to see how it is. The first one was all age welcome event so I guess it was different bands ranging from different ages. The crowds was mix from teenagers to adults, I thought I was at a rock & roll event because the bands doing all that shouting out different neighborhoods and I never understand that concept at the time. It's like someone sing or rap a popular rap or r-n-b song then someone else on stage change the concept up to just shout out people names in the crowd and neighborhoods. The next one was 21 and older crowd and the bands performing been doing Go Go since the 90's. It was alright and the crowd wasn't that wild. The all age GO Go crowd was to turn up because people was jumping around all over the place and the ladies be twerking like they at the strip club lol.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:25 PM

48 posts, read 71,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
I lived in both cities back in the day and what I found was DC was a much more culturally progressive city than Baltimore, I'm not sure about it just being high maintenance...and this was when DC was the murder capital. Out of all the good times I had in Baltimore I found that it was a place that could feed me culturally or intellectually at that time. The only draw was the low cost of living back in the 90s. I'm sure it has changed somewhat now, but I do understand the attitudes. It's like how NY'ers view Newark, NJ.
True

Old 07-28-2015, 12:37 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
The Go-Go crowds you talking about are the college students from the DC area. Most likely Morgan State or Coppin State students or alumni. Most people in Baltimore doesn't like Go-Go music. it's all about the B-more Club/House music. Those Go Go bands from DC or Prince George's County be trying to find a spot to perform in the Baltimore area. Most of the time they perform at college events. I can't get into that Go Go atmosphere.
A lot of us here in the DMV don't really care for Bmore Club ourselves, including myself....Its not really my most favorite subgenre and culture of House music but I know it's a required taste like Go-Go. Go-Go bands perform throughout the DMV and occasionally up in Bmore (mainly at the colleges) but they also venture outside of it and find a pretty good footing in Richmond, Hampton Roads, and to some extent, North Carolina. I'm surprised to hear how much Philadelphians are curious about Go-Go too. Not to mention, Go-Go has been occasionally incorporated into the music of a decent number of artists such as Jill Scott, Nelly, Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Ludacris, Kurtis Blow, Salt-N-Pepa, Run-DMC, DJ Kool (hometown native), Wale (hometown native), Amerie (hometown native), The Roots, Heavy D & The Boyz, etc. It's kinda ironic considering how insular the Go-Go culture can be at times.

And just so everyone knows, Go-Go appeals to more than just the hood crowd. It also appeals to the grown and sexy crowd, college crowd (it's always nice to get a lot of students not from here hip to the music and culture), old school crowd, buppie/blipster crowd, etc. Plus, a lot of Africans love it too LOL It's a pretty versatile musical and dance art that can adapt and merge to the sound of Neo-Soul, R&B, Hip Hop, Jazz, Gospel, Spoken Word, World, Funk, etc.

Peace to the legendary Chuck Brown for giving birth to just a beautiful form of music, but also a way of life.

Last edited by tcave360; 07-28-2015 at 12:49 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
What's crazy Is I thought Go Go was garbage in DC because I only heard it on the radio. Never went to see a real Go Go performance. A few years ago here the Chuck Brown band performed here after he passed (RIP) and I went to it. It was so live in there and I was like damn I missed all of this when I lived there lol smh. It's not bad if you like live music
Two of DC's biggest styles of music, Go-Go and Moombahton, are definitely MUCH better to vibe with when you're listening to it live in a concert venue, lounge, club, on the streets, etc. than the car radio. I think HarDCore Punk was the same way too (I would've LOVED to have seen a Bad Brains and Minor Threat performance if I was alive in the '70s and '80s).

Old 07-28-2015, 12:45 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Quote:
I can listen to Chuck Brown music sometimes but I never seen his performance. I been to two Go Go events during the mid 2000's era with my cousins just to see how it is. The first one was all age welcome event so I guess it was different bands ranging from different ages. The crowds was mix from teenagers to adults, I thought I was at a rock & roll event because the bands doing all that shouting out different neighborhoods and I never understand that concept at the time. It's like someone sing or rap a popular rap or r-n-b song then someone else on stage change the concept up to just shout out people names in the crowd and neighborhoods. The next one was 21 and older crowd and the bands performing been doing Go Go since the 90's. It was alright and the crowd wasn't that wild. The all age GO Go crowd was to turn up because people was jumping around all over the place and the ladies be twerking like they at the strip club lol.

I went to one in Laurel back in like 2007 ish. 3 months later is closed down because someone got shot. After that I was like f it lol I will just stick with Love and H2O. I know they ran Go Go out of DC clubs, then they got ran out of PG County, then they tried going to Bmore but I don't think the DC people wanted to drive to Bmore. Most of the demographic that likes Go Go are probably scared to go to VA lol.

The event here is called "Wind Me up Chuck Atl"

I might check it out....

3rd Annual ATL Tribute to Chuck Brown
September 5th- Labor Day Weekend @ Clayton Bounty Park and Beach

Featuring:
Chuck Brown Allstar Go Go Band, Vivian Green, Biz Markie and DJ Flezz

Old 07-28-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I went to one in Laurel back in like 2007 ish. 3 months later is closed down because someone got shot. After that I was like f it lol I will just stick with Love and H2O. I know they ran Go Go out of DC clubs, then they got ran out of PG County, then they tried going to Bmore but I don't think the DC people wanted to drive to Bmore. Most of the demographic that likes Go Go are probably scared to go to VA lol.

I might check it out....

Featuring:
Scared of VA?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:51 PM

31 posts, read 64,267 times
I thought DC was Black Bougie Mecca, no?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:53 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Scared of VA?

Most of the DC hood dudes think VA is more strict so they have to be more careful in VA when they want to act ratchet. At least that is how it was when I was there years ago. Im not talking about the professional well traveled people. I'm talking about the hood dudes. My old barber was one of them. Dude almost 40 and never been outside of DC/PG. Bring up Northern Va to him and it seemed like I was talking about another country

Old 07-28-2015, 01:52 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,733 times
Quote:

I might check it out....

Featuring:
GoGo is in DC clubs. All one has to do is go to the U-Street corridor as proof that it is still in the District. The antics of Vincent Gray is the reason why it went through a lull, but it is back...

There are too many errors in that event ad. It's "Clayton County Park and Beach" and it's "DJ Flexx" of WPGC 95.5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta