Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 AM

6 posts, read 12,779 times

Advertisements

Hi,

It looks like we may be moving to Atlanta so, like so many before me, I have to start the school hunt. I did my due diligence first and searched the threads but did not find any information regarding my personal situation. My will be entering high school next fall. He has ADHD and some other mild learning differences. I'm looking for either a standard public school, magnet or charter that would be most appropriate for such a student. Small class sizes is a must. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thansks,
MSGM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 09:19 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgm View Post
Hi,

It looks like we may be moving to Atlanta so, like so many before me, I have to start the school hunt. I did my due diligence first and searched the threads but did not find any information regarding my personal situation. My will be entering high school next fall. He has ADHD and some other mild learning differences. I'm looking for either a standard public school, magnet or charter that would be most appropriate for such a student. Small class sizes is a must. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thansks,
MSGM
where is your employment going to be?

Can you do private? How do yo define small?

Old 09-08-2015, 02:40 PM

My husband will be working downtown. I'd can do private if I have too. Actually I'd like to know about both public and private. Small class size would be about 20 or less (currently he only has 6 to a class), but I can do more if the school is perfect in every other way.

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
My husband will be working downtown. I'd can do private if I have too. Actually I'd like to know about both public and private. Small class size would be about 20 or less (currently he only has 6 to a class), but I can do more if the school is perfect in every other way.

Thanks.
Twenty in a normal, mainstreamed environment in a public setting isn't going to be likely. However, a co-taught classroom may be a possibility.

Aside from ADD and mild LDs, how he is cognitively? Is he mainstreamed?

What is your housing budget and top housing priorities? Maybe answer these questions as well as mine above, so we can give you better guidance.

Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:16 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Twenty in a normal, mainstreamed environment in a public setting isn't going to be likely. However, a co-taught classroom may be a possibility.
From my experience as a sub, co teacher looking over 1-4 students in a regular class of 25+ or a completely separated class of no more than ten but often 6-7. I don't think I ever had a completely normal class in Gwinnett under 20 students except for some AP in high school.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:09 AM

550 posts, read 988,974 times
https://www.saintfrancisschools.com/about-us/

Old 09-09-2015, 11:33 AM

30 posts, read 41,653 times
Sophia Academy or Ben Franklin Academy

Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Ben Franklin Academy looks fantastic. I wish there were a public version of that. I'll check into that. Anyone know of a public (standard, magnet or charter) that might be a good choice?

Old 10-05-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Ben Franklin Academy looks fantastic. I wish there were a public version of that. I'll check into that. Anyone know of a public (standard, magnet or charter) that might be a good choice?

Commute matters-- any idea where in Atlanta you are thinking of living. Metro Atlanta is about 20 different school systems so advising on public schools is complicated.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 AM

Right now I'm very flexible as to where to live. My husband works downtown and he'd prefer as short a commute as possible, but ultimately the school is the deciding factor. If there's a great public school option then I'd want to live in that school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: