Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Trying to get a perspective from someone from Florida that has moved to Atlanta recently. We are a couple in early 30s. I'm in IT and my wife is a nurse manager that works from home. I come from a Caribbean background. We don't have kids yet. We live in Tampa like 7 miles from downtown. Average commute is 20-30 minutes which is below average for this city. I have lived in Orlando and Miami and now Tampa. Wife wants out of Florida, she is from Midwest and wants to be closer. Flights are easier to the Midwest from Atlanta and she has an uncle there. I can't do the Midwest at all, too blah in comparison to Florida. I trying to find a compromise. Can't imagine not being near the coast. How was the move and culture shock if any. I have been to Atlanta many times. Find it more suburban, segregated then Orlando and Tampa, but by the size appears like a lot more jobs and more business oriented. If we did move not sure what part of town but I can't live in far off suburbs. Thanks ahead for feedback. Post written from cell phone....
Dont do it. Check your private messages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 06:02 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,194 times
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes Carrolwood is suburbia. It starts right pass Busch Blvd going North on Dale. I am right before it on Waters. Is the Perimeter Center basically he Perimeter mall area too. Dunwoody area right? I have been in that area. It's nice but I remember only a few apartments and town homes in that area. Have fun at Jacksons. That place has a very beautiful view.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:06 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Thanks, and am definitely planning on checking out Downtown St. Pete! We're staying on St. Pete Beach for two nights, and I've heard so many great things about Downtown lately.

I have always enjoyed the Bay Area, ever since my first visit as a kid many years ago.
Glad to hear, and thanks for the nice comments on my hometown. I'd gladly move back if I could take my job with me, though I'm becoming more enamored with my new city every year!

Best restaurant in town right now is Birch & Vine, on Beach Drive. Reservations highly recommended. And they have an incredible rooftop bar with tremendous views of the Vinoy Basin and Tampa Bay.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:09 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes Carrolwood is suburbia. It starts right pass Busch Blvd going North on Dale. I am right before it on Waters. Is the Perimeter Center basically he Perimeter mall area too. Dunwoody area right? I have been in that area. It's nice but I remember only a few apartments and town homes in that area. Have fun at Jacksons. That place has a very beautiful view.
Yes, Perimeter Center is the area around the mall. There are quite a few apartments there now, with more coming. The big thing a few years ago was older office buildings being torn down on some of the side roads, replaced by dense new apartment complexes 'wrapped' around parking garages.

And thanks, regarding Jackson's! Great view indeed, and we've reserved space on the terrace.

They also have amazing sushi.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Glad to hear, and thanks for the nice comments on my hometown. I'd gladly move back if I could take my job with me, though I'm becoming more enamored with my new city every year!

Best restaurant in town right now is Birch & Vine, on Beach Drive. Reservations highly recommended. And they have an incredible rooftop bar with tremendous views of the Vinoy Basin and Tampa Bay.
Same here! I moved up from Orlando years ago, and I don't know if I could leave - but I've been thinking about it more and more lately. My job is virtual from San Diego, so you never know...

And Birch & Vine sounds wonderful, thanks! Will have to be on a future visit as we are going very beach shack and doing Crabby Bill's our first night, and dinner with friends the next.

Of course, stopping off at Ted Peters on the way to the hotel to stock up on some smoked mullet spread. TED PETERS FAMOUS SMOKED FISH

Old 09-23-2015, 06:54 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,315,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Same here! I moved up from Orlando years ago, and I don't know if I could leave - but I've been thinking about it more and more lately. My job is virtual from San Diego, so you never know...

And Birch & Vine sounds wonderful, thanks! Will have to be on a future visit as we are going very beach shack and doing Crabby Bill's our first night, and dinner with friends the next.

Of course, stopping off at Ted Peters on the way to the hotel to stock up on some smoked mullet spread. TED PETERS FAMOUS SMOKED FISH
Great call. I have been eating Ted Peters' fish spread since I was 3 or so. Even my dad grew up on it. Have an extra big helping for me!

Old 09-23-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Great call. I have been eating Ted Peters' fish spread since I was 3 or so. Even my dad grew up on it. Have an extra big helping for me!
LOL! I will for sure, I love it.

I can remember my parents buying fresh smoked mullet from roadside stands in Pinellas when we were kids. It came in newspaper cones, and we ate it like popcorn. I've loved it and the spread ever since. Talk about old-school Florida!

Last edited by JMatl; 09-23-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta