Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:01 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times

Advertisements

APS proposes spending over $90 million to ease Grady cluster crowding

Main take away:
  • Grady Expansion: $22 Mil. for 18 Classrooms and 3 Labs; $11 Mil. for additional upgrades / repairs
  • Howard Middle School: $52 Mil. for renovation and an additional 25 Classrooms.
  • Walden campus Athletic Fields: $8 Mil. for turning property into practice fields for Grady cluster schools.
  • Inman Elementary School: $0 Mil. Simply turn Inman into Elem. School
I like this plan overall. It's not a 9th grade academy, and reactivates a large, and historically significant property as an institution of learning.

There will be resistance to changing Inman into an Elem. school, but I think it's pretty much necessary at this point.

I'm supper happy to see Grady getting upgrades out of this. Maybe they can get rid of those awful trailers. Actually, I hope all the schools can get rid of their trailers. Really, they're just horrid things being made to far outlast their intended uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:06 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,325 times
The entire cluster would have MS at Howard?

Old 09-25-2015, 10:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
APS proposes spending over $90 million to ease Grady cluster crowding

Main take away:
  • Grady Expansion: $22 Mil. for 18 Classrooms and 3 Labs; $11 Mil. for additional upgrades / repairs
  • Howard Middle School: $52 Mil. for renovation and an additional 25 Classrooms.
  • Walden campus Athletic Fields: $8 Mil. for turning property into practice fields for Grady cluster schools.
  • Inman Elementary School: $0 Mil. Simply turn Inman into Elem. School
I like this plan overall. It's not a 9th grade academy, and reactivates a large, and historically significant property as an institution of learning.

There will be resistance to changing Inman into an Elem. school, but I think it's pretty much necessary at this point.

I'm supper happy to see Grady getting upgrades out of this. Maybe they can get rid of those awful trailers. Actually, I hope all the schools can get rid of their trailers. Really, they're just horrid things being made to far outlast their intended uses.
Walden is prime real estate, sell the property.
Of course any easier and cheaper solution is to zone Mary Lin for Jackson Cluster. Boom overcrowding solved in one move.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:09 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,325 times
Would that fix Inman?. Doubt it.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:13 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Of course any easier and cheaper solution is to zone Mary Lin for Jackson Cluster. Boom overcrowding solved in one move.
Except for the overcrowding at Morningside. The article mentioned that APS had tried that, but that the effort was suffocated under parental objection.

I wouldn't mind selling Walden either, through I'm still okay with their plans.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:18 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
That'd go over like a turd in the punchbowl in Inman Park, Candler Park, and Lake Claire, and those are the people who know how to get organized and make t-shirts.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Except for the overcrowding at Morningside. The article mentioned that APS had tried that, but that the effort was suffocated under parental objection.

I wouldn't mind selling Walden either, through I'm still okay with their plans.
Of course parents north of DeKalb don't would complain, but when Kirkwood and East Lake expressed objection over getting thrown out of Grady cluster, APS didn't care. I guess they only care about the neighborhoods North of DeKalb. They always have and always will.
I have a better solution for the athletic fields, Coan School is being closed. Why not use that site for the fields and sell Walden off. Coan has a lot more property.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:25 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Of course parents north of DeKalb don't would complain, but when Kirkwood and East Lake expressed objection over getting thrown out of Grady cluster, APS didn't care. I guess they only care about the neighborhoods North of DeKalb. They always have and always will.
True, the squeakier wheels get the grease.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:33 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Does this mean that they think the Druid Hills Annexation is unlikely? Or, is it already dead?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Could be at the point that there wouldn't be much difference between Grady and Jackson if Lin did change zones--probably zero difference in level of education--but home values would probably get pummeled in the Lin district for the medium to short term (conversely, it would be a major boon to Jackson)--probably wouldn't be so bad if Inman kept its current zoning in the short term. Wild guess: it would be about 5 years for Lin Zone prices to recover--horrible if you have to sell a house in that time--so, yeah many folks would be very unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: