Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:04 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I happen to think that DeKalb's corruption is generations deep. So, there was ample corruption when DeKalb was majority white. What changed was the impact of that corruption, perhaps?

I believe that the many of the private entities based in DeKalb thrive off the corruption and thus, support candidates/elected officials who will protect the status quo.
I do think that the corruption didn't start yesterday...it is way too embedded in the administration. It's almost like at some point it took on a life of it's own. I don't think it existed in the 70s, however. Not do l think the Maloof administration was guilty of wrongdoing, although it was a period of VERY autocratic rule thanks to the still controversial CEO system. I have never thought this was a good and frankly think it was a factor in DeKalb's downside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 09:42 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,094 times
http://www.dekalbcountyga.gov/Operat...ssion_1979.pdf

An interesting piece of history.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:46 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It is ironic, given the deep corruption at the state level, to hear Georgia state politicians try to make DeKalb County their whipping boy. And FFS we're only talking about one DeKalb official here. Anybody know how many other officials this report investigated?
Try reading an article on the report before making comments. They are condemning all the commissioners other than the 2 elected in the past 6 months for questionable or illegal expenditures. They are questioning staff all over the county for stealing from the county.

And Lee May is CEO because Ellis got convicted and is in jail. The two new commissioners are because May got moved to CEO and another commissioner is already in jail.

As for the "deep corruption" at the state level, care to give examples? I don't think you can match 100% of the officials as they have here in DeKalb.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:49 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Massive fail on their part. To improve accountability???????

Biggest fail was their list of "experts." Quick scan, looked like all Georgia and all urban or Dekalb.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:16 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,161,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Try reading an article on the report before making comments. They are condemning all the commissioners other than the 2 elected in the past 6 months for questionable or illegal expenditures. They are questioning staff all over the county for stealing from the county.

And Lee May is CEO because Ellis got convicted and is in jail. The two new commissioners are because May got moved to CEO and another commissioner is already in jail.

As for the "deep corruption" at the state level, care to give examples? I don't think you can match 100% of the officials as they have here in DeKalb.
No need to try to silence me, bu2. Georgia's lack of control over corruption is legendary. Georgia should clear its own house of corruption before trying to return the favor.

Having contemptuous opinions of the governments of both Georgia and DeKalb County is allowed, you know.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times
Quote:
No need to try to silence me, bu2. Georgia's lack of control over corruption is legendary. Georgia should clear its own house of corruption before trying to return the favor.

Having contemptuous opinions of the governments of both Georgia and DeKalb County is allowed, you know.
Then start a thread on state-level corruption.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Then start a thread on state-level corruption.
Sure, we can do that too.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 AM
bu2

Quote:

Not trying to silence you, just trying to get something with substance. Not just opinions backed up by nothing.

I find the dismissal of DeKalb's extreme corruption pretty disturbing. That type of attitude is why people like Sutton keep getting elected.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Not trying to silence you, just trying to get something with substance. Not just opinions backed up by nothing.

I find the dismissal of DeKalb's extreme corruption pretty disturbing. That type of attitude is why people like Sutton keep getting elected.
Nope, never did I say or imply that DeKalb's corruption should be dismissed. What I actually said was that we should hold the state as accountable as its counties. These "secret government" shenanigans in our statehouse need to stop.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:33 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,487,902 times
Quote:
Nope, never did I say or imply that DeKalb's corruption should be dismissed. What I actually said was that we should hold the state as accountable as its counties. These "secret government" shenanigans in our statehouse need to stop.
Precisely...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta