Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 PM

18 posts, read 26,069 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate to either Cherokee or Forsyth counties. I have Cherokee pretty well mapped out for subdivisions, but could use some help identifying desirable Forsyth communities. Looking for a swim community at the very least, but a park, sidewalks, playground, tennis, fitness center would all be welcome amenities. Even open to golf communities, but I think those will be out of our price range. Large subdivisions are more appealing than those with just one or two cul-de-sacs. Commute is not an issue, but easy access to 400 and shopping, restaurants, movie theaters are musts, and we wouldn't want to be more than 45min-1hour outside of Atlanta in ideal traffic conditions. We'll be renting for a year but would ideally buy in same area, so rent not more than $1600/mo, home price $200K-$250K. Ideally the community would be a mix of homes $175K and up (we'd like a mix of like and more affluent neighbors). Needs to be near a good high school, but I haven't been able to identify a bad a high school in Forsyth...?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 02:13 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4pvowife View Post
Looking to relocate to either Cherokee or Forsyth counties. I have Cherokee pretty well mapped out for subdivisions, but could use some help identifying desirable Forsyth communities. Looking for a swim community at the very least, but a park, sidewalks, playground, tennis, fitness center would all be welcome amenities. Even open to golf communities, but I think those will be out of our price range. Large subdivisions are more appealing than those with just one or two cul-de-sacs. Commute is not an issue, but easy access to 400 and shopping, restaurants, movie theaters are musts, and we wouldn't want to be more than 45min-1hour outside of Atlanta in ideal traffic conditions. We'll be renting for a year but would ideally buy in same area, so rent not more than $1600/mo, home price $200K-$250K. Ideally the community would be a mix of homes $175K and up (we'd like a mix of like and more affluent neighbors). Needs to be near a good high school, but I haven't been able to identify a bad a high school in Forsyth...?
I just took a quick peak at the MLS real estate listings for Forsyth County....And it appears that the real estate pickings in your desired price range (of no more than $250k to buy or $1600/month to rent) currently are really slim on the MLS listings (both in terms of homes for sale and residential rentals) in Forsyth County, something which isn't surprising given the intense competitiveness of the current North Metro Atlanta real estate market and the given the extremely high quality of the schools in Forsyth County.

In this current real estate market (a current real estate market which is highly competitive), you more than likely are not going to be able to have your pick of subdivisions to choose from. In this current real estate market in North Metro Atlanta you more than likely are going to have to take whatever decent option might present itself, particularly at your desired price range.

The "best" most highly-regarded subdivisions (most of which are in the southern part of Forsyth County roughly below (south of) Georgia Highway 20) appear to have very little (if any) housing inventory for sale or rent at the moment.

There appear to be more houses for sale within your desired price range in the northern half of Forsyth County (above (north of) GA Highway 20), but the inventory of rental houses within your budget in the entire county appears to be somewhat limited (...as of this writing, there appear to be only about 12 homes for rent in all of Forsyth County).

Sale and rental home inventories also appear to be somewhat limited in neighboring Cherokee County within your price range and rental budget. Though neighboring Gwinnett County (which neighbors Forsyth County to the east, south of Lake Lanier) appears to have many more sales and rental options within your desired sales price range and rental budget.

If you want to buy or rent in a fairly affluent and highly-regarded subdivision community in Forsyth County in this current real estate market, you likely are going to have to increase your budget....Otherwise, you either are going to have to be prepared to either buy or rent whatever decent/acceptable/habitable housing option may come available at your price range/rental budget in a highly-competitive Forsyth County real estate market or look in other nearby areas where there may be more houses available to buy or rent within your budget.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:39 AM

18 posts, read 26,069 times
On Zillow, I see 220 single family homes for rent and 315 on Realtor.com in Forsyth County. When I look at homes under $1600/mo, those numbers reduce to 54 and 68 respectively. Most listing are clustered around Cumming with a little less than half south of GA Highway 20. If I check the "pool" box, numbers reduce again by half. So it appears doable, even if the inventory is slim...if the homes are in decent subdivisions. I found a couple in Manchester Park and a couple in Bethelview Downs? And 7 others made my list, but I only have street address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta