Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 AM

85 posts, read 285,195 times

Advertisements

Anybody live near or know what the mosquito situation is nearby to any of the lakes around metropolitan Atlanta? Such as if it's worse than other places around metro Atlanta, how bad is it, and/or if it is an unusually longer mosquito season.

Niskey Lake
Silver Lake
Laurel Lake
Pine Lake
Echo Lake
North Lake
Kenilworth Lake
Lake Prestwick
Placemark #16 (ooops, disregard that one... d#mn Google maps)

Depending on the size of a lake, if it's stocked with fish, the fish help keep (some of) the mosquito population down.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Anybody still there in Atlanta... did the last person turn off the lights?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:07 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishere View Post
I suspect most of us simply don't know the answer.

I drive by Laurel Lake almost every day, for example, and only live a few miles away on Cooper Lake Road, and I can tell you a lot about the general area, but I can't answer the question you ask because I have no idea.

It's a very nice little lake, though.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:15 PM

697 posts, read 3,020,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnishere View Post
You sort of answered your own question -- as you mention, mosquitos don't tend to be a problem around lakes, unless there are other nearby areas of standing occasional water. Any water that's around more or less permanently is going to its share of predators for mosquitos. It's the places that have transient standing water, or standing water sources that are physically raised above the ground (barrels, piles of old tires, etc.) that are breeding grounds (you should excuse the expression) for mosquitos.

Fortunately, the terrain around Altanta tends to be sloping enough (and our drought has been going on long enough) that you don't tend to get lots of occasional standing water.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 AM

360 posts, read 1,010,981 times
I will be checking the mosquito situation around Pine Lake this summer. I think it's such a cute little town, and that's about the only potential downside I see to it.

The mosquitoes were pretty bad around my neighborhood in Scottdale late last summer.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,054 times
The mosquito situation??? I never heard that forecast on the news...

"And today, the mosquito count is below average with 23 billion out there..."

Mosquitos are the state bird... Gotta get use to it...

Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,131 times
Default Pine Lake

I live in Pine Lake. I'm not on the lake, but my kids practically live on the beach. I hate mosquitos amd they love me, and I've never felt them to be out of the ordinary. Some people who live along our eastern "wetlands" complain, but that's more standing water than a lake, and primarily one road that backs up to it.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
The mosquito situation??? I never heard that forecast on the news...

"And today, the mosquito count is below average with 23 billion out there..."

Mosquitos are the state bird... Gotta get use to it...
{Usually one smart-apple in the bunch} Maybe you don't get out much, but near some ponds and lakes, the mosquito situation can be much worse than elsewhere.

But just for your enlightenment:

Courtesy of weather.com for Tues, March 10, 2009

Old 03-13-2009, 08:04 PM

24 posts, read 109,345 times
I live on Lake Allatoona and on the actual shore, there's enough wind to keep them away. But go back just a few feet and it is absolutely horrible. Worst I've ever experienced in my entire life. You can't even really go outside for a minute during the summer, even at night, without getting bitten many many many times! Be sure to find out if they spray in the area, and definitely hire a good pest control service if need be. I'm definitely doing it this summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: