Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:03 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,343,001 times

Advertisements

I can't help but comment on this thread. Does anybody here realize the problem is humans, not the coyotes. We are developing their natural environment and want to keep its rural feel so we think we are in the country. If we want to live in an environment which mimics their natural environment you have to expect wild animals. Development is inevitable, but if people chose to live in communities which didn't invite wild animals they would be less likely to see them.

This is the problem with the Atlanta metro area. Everybody wants to live on one acre lots so a lot of greenspace remains for wildlife to run free. If you look at denser cities you rarely see wildlife unless you are greenbelt trails and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 10:18 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
I'm pretty sure that coyotes are not indigenous to Georgia. They and other animals like armadillos have migrated here. Essentially they are an invasive exotic which is causing more harm than good.

True, human intervention and increased development, as well as building bridges across large rivers, has contributed to their spread, but coyotes in Georgia are nothing to get soft-hearted about.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:19 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,343,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I'm pretty sure that coyotes are not indigenous to Georgia. They and other animals like armadillos have migrated here. Essentially they are an invasive exotic which is causing more harm than good.

True, human intervention and increased development, as well as building bridges across large rivers, has contributed to their spread, but coyotes in Georgia are nothing to get soft-hearted about.
Something I did not know, thanks for the info.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:08 PM

481 posts, read 2,822,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
The same exact thing is true for humans...

Of course, neither coyotes nor humans are anywhere near endangered, so whatever. Conflicts have to be resolved... usually the easiest thing is for one to kill the other.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM

45 posts, read 209,986 times
great im moving away from gators in fl to deal with coyotes.How dangerous
are they and are they afraid of humans.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,983 times
My family and I are considering a move to the Canton area for a job opportunity - I think I would be more concerned about living next to a hillbilly who kills wildlife because he thinks they are annoying. Taking a personal vendetta against coyotes who have no concept that it's YOUR cats.. to them, they see a meal. HELLO!!!!!! Get a clue buddy...

Old 07-31-2007, 03:18 PM

136 posts, read 478,492 times
Canton does have coyotes like most of GA, but I never had an issue with them. I did however have to move from Canton due to the meth and crime problem there.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:49 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,257,297 times
Heck, we have coyotes in Vinings.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:32 AM

4 posts, read 13,158 times
Default Meth

clsmith...were you the one with the meth problem? I live in Canton, and I'm sure there are meth users, but I never here about it in the news. I also NEVER here police sirens, so I'm not sure where you claim all this crime is! By the way, I live 1.5 miles from downtown, on Riverstone Parkway.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:36 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,497 times
I live very close to Canton, and you're not likely to run into much wildlife within town, or in areas due south of Canton, such as in Holly Springs or Woodstock. However, if you were to drive north or west, or perhaps even east, you might see deer. Though there are Coyotes in this part of the United States, you generally don't see them. I've seen a dead one along Ga. 20 west of Canton, as well as a dead bobcat. You might see a dead deer every once in a while.

Note this about wildlife, though. Deer can live in very suburban environments, as long as there is a moderate-sized wooded area nearby. The same can be said for Coyotes or lots of other larger sized animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta