Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:00 PM

52 posts, read 51,790 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving my family from Hawaii to Kennesaw. We are a family of 8 (2 adults 6 children) could someone please tell me which would be the best neighborhood in Kennesaw? We are mixed race (Native Hawaiian/Portuguese) and have NEVER lived anywhere but Hawaii. Any help would be most appreciated. Aloha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 10:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Nothing wrong with most of Kennesaw, but why are you focused on that town? Do you know where you'll be working?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:45 PM

We just know that we're moving to Georgia. We want to be fairly close to the city but still be in a "family town" after extensive research we decided on Kemnesaw. Then we found out our neighbor lived there and he loved it so much he wants to go back! We do not have jobs yet. We are selling our business here (pool service) and moving. Husband may get back into pools and Kennesaw has a bunch of them but he's looking for something else. I am a stay at home mom but have been doing bookkeeping for over 13 years. There are a lot of positions for me in Kennesaw, Marietta, and the surrounding areas. So I may work while he's a stay at home Dad. We'll just have to see. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Old 10-23-2015, 11:03 PM

Also, Kennesaw is (by Hawaii standards) fairly cheap in terms of Renting or Buying.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:58 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Well Kennesaw is definitely a good area. I can't speak for certain but I imagine if your husband can get back into pools he can find plenty in the Cobb area or other nearby north Atlanta areas. My uncle owns a pool business in Gwinnett and got plenty of work. The last few years have been rough with the recession but before that he was doing good business and never had to travel too far. A commute to anywhere outside of Cobb for normal office jobs could be rough though.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:22 AM

Thank you so much. I was looking at Gwinnett at first, but since our neighbor had no idea about it I wasn't too sure. Do you think Gwinnett would be a better fit?

Old 10-24-2015, 06:10 AM

122 posts, read 186,481 times
I live in acworth right by kennesaw. As you mentioned, the prices here are much much cheaper than anything you'll find in Hawaii. I wouldn't be too concerned about the specific neighborhood... This is a very safe family friendly area that is also quite diverse. You'll fit in no problem.

You should look into all of north Cobb, which includes Marietta, Woodstock, and acworth addresses. Schools are generally good across the board. The ones in east Cobb are the best ranked, but they come with higher price tags on the homes.

One thing to keep in mind when thinking of jobs is that 75 and Cobb parkway, the two major arteries into the city, are both incredibly congested at rush hour. The biggest drawback of the area IMO.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:19 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
I can't say for sure. I would suggest at least taking a look at Gwinnett (also, North Fulton and southern Forsyth county). In Gwinnett, you'd probably want to look at the area from the east/northeast side of Duluth up through Suwanee and into Buford.
It's among the most diverse areas in the metro area, particularly in regards to asian backgrounds. I know that's not an exact match for native Hawaiian or Portuguese, but I imagine the asian population is pretty high in Hawaii and if you want the closest match to that in Atlanta, that corridor will do. That's not to say Cobb isn't diverse, just that Gwinnett is more diverse overall.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:52 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiitoKennesaw View Post
Hello, I am moving my family from Hawaii to Kennesaw. We are a family of 8 (2 adults 6 children) could someone please tell me which would be the best neighborhood in Kennesaw? We are mixed race (Native Hawaiian/Portuguese) and have NEVER lived anywhere but Hawaii. Any help would be most appreciated. Aloha.
What will you do on kill hoaie day? Just be careful, plenty are armed.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
I'm divorced with no children, and the first thing I did when I moved here was buy a house in Kennesaw. It was such a nice sized house in a clean looking subdivions for the money that I couldn't resist. Didn't know it would make my commute a living hell or how restrictive HOA's can be. My intent was to put an in-ground pool in the backyard eventually - not a thing that could happen because of the rules.

As far as Cobb County goes, I like Kennesaw just fine but not for me, but if I were going to move back,I'd look at the subdivisons along Kennesaw Due West. You could also consider Marietta because they are pretty free to do what they want to with their yards which would result in more pool business. Although Marietta is not really on the true outskirts of the metro, the further you go out, the fewer restrictions there are and lots with more land so that could only be a plus for the business.

I've only been to Hawaii once and I know I liked it but my I was so friggin tired by the time that I got there that I'm not sure I fully appreciated what a paradise it was. You will not find anything even remotely similar here.

Everything will be fine though. Just try to rent before buying so you can check out some other areas that you cannot possibly understand the dynamics of remotely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta