Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 01:04 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No bike lanes are being removed. To the contrary, they are being added.

Instead of trying to squish more bike lanes into the torrent of trucks, cars and buses on Peachtree, however, they are routing the new lanes down Maple. That way they can connect with the existing bike lanes on Pharr, and take advantage of the traffic lights at Pharr and East Paces Ferry. That's much smarter.

As far as "back alleys", the folks at Pricci, Buckhead Atlanta, Aria, MSG, Aldi, the Fish Market, Istanblue, Petsmart, Elle, Allure, the new Gables tower, Frankie Allen park, and the many other restaurants, businesses and residences will no doubt be interested to learn that you've demoted them to third-class citizenship.

Those are major thriving streets, cq. And they are vastly better suited for bike lanes.
Side streets should already be going slow and safe enough to not need bike lanes.

But bikes need direct access options on all roads that are not limited access, otherwise bikers will just get mixed in with traffic causing delays and safety risks for all.

If you want to keep Peachtree in Buckhead relatively fast moving and safe for all, bikes need protected lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:11 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Side streets should already be going slow and safe enough to not need bike lanes.

But bikes need direct access options on all roads that are not limited access, otherwise bikers will just get mixed in with traffic causing delays and safety risks for all.

If you want to keep Peachtree in Buckhead relatively fast moving and safe for all, bikes need protected lanes.
The Lenox area is currently the only section of Peachtree that has bike lanes and they are just painted on like the ones on Ponce.

But, yeah, if they want to put a protected bike lane on Peachtree all the way from downtown to Buckhead I could live with it. I doubt that many folks would use it but at least the bikers could go sailing down Peachtree if they want to.

However, there doesn't seem to be any more enthusiasm for this in downtown or Midtown than there was in Buckhead.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
However, there doesn't seem to be any more enthusiasm for this in downtown or Midtown than there was in Buckhead.
There is more enthusiasm than you realize. I stopped by the downtown master planning public input session last week and the proposal to put bike Lanes on Peachtree had huge support.

However, if not for the streetcar tracks in the street, I think bikes are fine sharing the lane on a downsized three lane Peachtree in Midtown and Downtown.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:20 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
I still think it's a death wish to ride down that street with all those curb cuts. Protected bike lanes don't fix that massive risk, as far as I understand. You are taking a massive risk assuming drivers are paying attention. Give me a side street any day.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:35 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Any street inside Glenwood Park, Ponce in downtown Decatur. Heck, most neighborhood streets that are 30 ft wide and has on-street parking on both sides. I'd say most of our streets already fit the criteria since most are neighborhood streets. You probably live on one.
So, you're saying that 95% of our streets should be very narrow, with very tightly-packed houses (seriously...I think some of those houses are touching), almost right on the street? Yeah, no.

Quote:
There is more enthusiasm than you realize. I stopped by the downtown master planning public input session last week and the proposal to put bike Lanes on Peachtree had huge support.
Wait...you mean to tell me that you found huge support at a master planning public input session? WOW!!! I have also found that almost all people prefer country music after doing my research at a NASCAR event.

Quote:
What exactly is a "direct access option"?

Quote:
I just wish I saw more people using these lanes. Even on tenth street next to Piedmont Park, which has barrier separation, I rarely see more than one or two bikes, if any. Not that Street Vview is a reliable research tool, but I went back every year that it has an image, and overall, I think there are three bikes in view total. That's kind of crazy.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So, you're saying that 95% of our streets should be very narrow, with very tightly-packed houses (seriously...I think some of those houses are touching), almost right on the street?
Yep. I am saying most our streets should be relatively narrow, with I street parking and no painted lines, probably like the street you already live on. If you really prefer wide, fast, dangerous roads, you should go live on one.

Quote:
Wait...you mean to tell me that you found huge support at a master planning public input session? WOW!!! I have also found that almost all people prefer country music after doing my research at a NASCAR event.
Wait, the local bingo hall didn't all bike there? Forgive me if I give more credit to the public planning meeting.

Quote:
Not having to go miles out of the way. Spoiler: people won't and you will be stuck behind them in traffic.

Quote:
I just wish I saw more people using these lanes. Even on tenth street next to Piedmont Park, which has barrier separation, I rarely see more than one or two bikes, if any. Not that Street Vview is a reliable research tool, but I went back every year that it has an image, and overall, I think there are three bikes in view total. That's kind of crazy.
If you don't notice them from your car then it is working as designed. Ever notice bikes in your lane? That is because they dont have a safe lane to get out of your way.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
So, you're saying that 95% of our streets should be very narrow, with very tightly-packed houses (seriously...I think some of those houses are touching), almost right on the street? Yeah, no.

Using a 30 sec snapshot is not a good base of research.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yep. I am saying most our streets should be relatively narrow, with I street parking and no painted lines, probably like the street you already live on. If you really prefer wide, fast, dangerous roads, you should go live on one.
The street I live on is median-divided with center parking for guests, and driveways for resident parking. Most people drive around 20mph. But, I don't see that as the best option for "most roads". Maybe most roads within a neighborhood, but it is highly impractical for going much further than half a mile. And yes, I know what you're getting at is that we should all live in little cocoons and just walk to everywhere nearby. Like my friends who live in NYC and have no idea what exists outside their 3-block radius.

Quote:
Wait, the local bingo hall didn't all bike there? Forgive me if I give more credit to the public planning meeting.
just saying...the kinds of people who show up to public planning meetings are largely people who support things like that. So, of course you're going to see lots of support at planning meetings. You'll also see lot of support for dubstep at an EDM music festival, even though it's the worst excuse for music in existence.

Quote:
Not having to go miles out of the way. Spoiler: people won't and you will be stuck behind them in traffic.
So, nearly every road should have some sort of protected bike facility, or go so slow that bikes don't cause a delay? That also seems highly impractical.

Quote:
If you don't notice them from your car then it is working as designed. Ever notice bikes in your lane? That is because they dont have a safe lane to get out of your way.
Wow. Completely missed the point there, didn't you? I'm saying that I've rarely seen more than one or two bikes in that lane, and almost none in any of the other bike lanes around town. You see, I actually do have eyes that allow me to see things that are not directly in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Using a 30 sec snapshot is not a good base of research.
Sure. It's not like I've driven down 10th street only once. Got any stats of how many people actually use these bike lanes? I've just never seen any of them utilized much at all. I'm all for bikes having their lanes where it's practical, and have been fully, 100% in favor of the Peachtree re-do to lose two traffic lanes and gain two bike lanes. However, let's not pretend that once there are protected bike lanes on Peachtree, that we'll suddenly see thousands of bikes per day on them (which I would like to see).

Old 06-21-2017, 11:37 AM

Sam, I am sure those people that live in New York have much more interesting things in that three blocks around them than you do during your weekly 5 mile drive to Applebees for dinner. Think you would find most people would be thrilled to have everything they need in walking distance of their home.

Quote:
So, nearly every road should have some sort of protected bike facility, or go so slow that bikes don't cause a delay? That also seems highly impractical.
I know you may think you are entitled to drive down the city streets where I live at 50 MPH, but you are not. Safety comes first. If you are not happy with how long your commute takes you need to either suck it up or move closer to work, not force cities to sacrifice desirability and safety of their residents so you can speed through 1 min faster.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Sam, I am sure those people that live in New York have much more interesting things in that three blocks around them than you do during your weekly 5 mile drive to Applebees for dinner. Think you would find most people would be thrilled to have everything they need in walking distance of their home.
First of all, I haven't eaten at an Applebees in years. Most of the places we eat are either single locations or local chains. And stop deluding yourself that there is more to do in a ten minute walk in NYC (or anywhere for that matter, including downtown ATL) than I can do in ten minutes of driving. It's simply not true.

Quote:
I know you may think you are entitled to drive down the city streets where I live at 50 MPH, but you are not. Safety comes first. If you are not happy with how long your commute takes you need to either suck it up or move closer to work, not force cities to sacrifice desirability and safety of their residents so you can speed through 1 min faster.
You see, that's not at all what I said. Not even a little bit. I don't even know how you managed to decipher that.

But do tell, why are you entitled to ride your bike anywhere and everywhere you want without any issues, whether it involves removing travel lanes, blocking traffic, or anything else. Why, in your mind, should everything you prefer get top treatment at the expense of anything else, and everything else must give way to your desires?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta