Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 07:57 PM

32,036 posts, read 36,861,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Streets will be much safer when drivers are forced to realize they're not the only ones entitled to using them.
Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,910,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2201987 View Post
https://encrypted.google.com/maps/@3...7i13312!8i6656
I mean, you could have done a simple google map search to see a speed limit sign on 360/MacLand...
Which is still too fast for a suburban artery road.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:53 PM

Looks like the possibility of bike lanes on the south end of Peachtree is getting slimmer.

Quote:
A huge community backlash appears to have scuttled a plan to put bicycle lanes along part of Peachtree Road in Buckhead.

People deeply familiar with the plan say the bike lanes have been killed.

More...Seems Atlanta outcry has killed plan for bike lanes on Peachtree | www.myajc.com

Last edited by arjay57; 12-03-2015 at 07:05 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 07:02 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,134,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Looks like the possibility of bike lanes on the sound end of Peachtree is getting slimmer.
Chalk up another reason to not renew my apartment lease next summer. Pathetic if true.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:09 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,636,203 times
Now they can all get their kids to baseball practice.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:20 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,265,031 times
Buckhead's traffic problems are solved! On the upside, this will be much less expensive and hopefully GDOT will spend the money they save on bike lanes in a neighborhood closer to me.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
Buckhead's traffic problems are solved! On the upside, this will be much less expensive and hopefully GDOT will spend the money they save on bike lanes in a neighborhood closer to me.
The difference wouldn't be more than a few gallons of paint.

Old 12-03-2015, 10:07 PM

In my opinion this discussion got overheated on all sides.

No, Brookwood is not the ideal place for bike lanes and yes, the number of people who would use them is pretty small compared to the number of motorists.

But I doubt that a mile and a half of bike lanes is going to destroy the city. Mayor Massell is probably right that it's a generational thing. At this point you just don't have enough folks in central and northern Buckhead who are into riding bikes on Peachtree Road. Revisit it again in 20 or 30 years and you might get a different consensus.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:

No, Brookwood is not the ideal place for bike lanes and yes, the number of people who would use them is pretty small compared to the number of motorists.

But I doubt that a mile and a half of bike lanes is going to destroy the city. Mayor Massell is probably right that it's a generational thing. At this point you just don't have enough folks in central and northern Buckhead who are into riding bikes on Peachtree Road. Revisit it again in 20 or 30 years and you might get a different consensus.
The problem was opponents characterizing this project as putting bike lanes in just to do so without delving into the prime reason for the safety project (the center turn lane). They were acting as if GDOT was trying to ban cars altogether off Peachtree.

Here's a telling quote that pretty much sums up the shortsightedness of this decision:

Quote:
Jeffrey Kirsch, who lives in a condo in Peachtree Hills and sometimes bicycles on Peachtree Road, said he is disappointed by talk that the bike lanes are a no-go.

“They are getting what they asked for,” Kirsch said. “More traffic, more crashes, more deaths. It’ll get worse as more developments go up. It’s just going to be more and more congestion.”

Old 12-04-2015, 06:58 AM

364 posts, read 419,017 times
Quote:

The Peachtree Rd corridor in Buckhead is adding more and more high density developments. The last thing we need is a 3 lane throughway that only will give the speeders what they want so they can bob and weave around cars to continue their addiction to speeding. In some of the comments about this posted prior by residents it was easy to read between the lines about why some opposed it. But I say let Buckhead do its own thing and choke on the traffic it is going to generate with limited alternative modes of transit. Other neighborhoods in the city can lead progressive push to offer alternative modes of transit that help support higher density development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta