Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,356 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're living in a rented house atm and looking to buy our own home early next year. We're in Marietta and like the area although think we'll get more for our money a bit further out from Atlanta.
We're a married couple with grown up kids not living at home, so schools are not a consideration.
We're in our fifties and semi retired....run own business from home, so dont need to be close to Atlanta.
We're looking in the range $100 to $150, 2bed....want large yard for our dog.
Really know nothing about Powder Springs, except like the look of the area when driving through.
Would appreciate any views, positive or negative and pros and cons for the area.
Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 11:37 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,236 times
Did look first in the area south of Lost Mountain before buying in Marietta, lots of development since then but still some older homes with a (hopefully) large enough yard in your range. Only minor issue ever encountered is waiting quite awhile for a train to pass at that crossing by the park just past the tiny historic town center. Also, like everywhere else, traffic seems to be exceedingly heavy at the usual morning and evening rushes, but if you're not in it unless absolutely necessary, no worries.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:01 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila07 View Post
Hi,
We're living in a rented house atm and looking to buy our own home early next year. We're in Marietta and like the area although think we'll get more for our money a bit further out from Atlanta.
We're a married couple with grown up kids not living at home, so schools are not a consideration.
We're in our fifties and semi retired....run own business from home, so dont need to be close to Atlanta.
We're looking in the range $100 to $150, 2bed....want large yard for our dog.
Really know nothing about Powder Springs, except like the look of the area when driving through.
Would appreciate any views, positive or negative and pros and cons for the area.
Many thanks

Ok, I understand with the "atm" part of rented house atm means. Maybe my brain checked out fro the weekend, but I can't think of anything that doesn't involve a teller machine.

I have a few friends who moved from apartments intown to large houses in Powder Springs because the price was roughly the same yet they got so much more space. Since you and your hubby are semi-retired, I don't really see that much of a difference between Marietta and Powder Springs for you. You know you can get a yard for your dog either place, but I'd still prefer Marietta if it were me. Its like every time I have to go to a friend's house, I have to drive through a maze that crawled out another maze's backside.

There can be parts of any area that don't have the basics like a grocery store, drug store, or even a gas station near you, but I think you have a better shot at being comfortable in Marietta. That doesn't mean I think Marietta is the best choice you could possibly make in the metro, but I do think it is better that Powder Springs.

Expand your search to include other areas before you buy so you can have a good understanding of your options and what really appeals to you. Don't shut out any areas because they are not familiar; check them out and familiarize yourself.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,356 times
You both make good points.
We want somewhere fairly quiet, but also near stores, restaurants etc.
Would also like somewhere with a community feel, be nice to have friendly neighbours.
We'll have to drive around a bit and see what else is out there.
We've lived here a couple of years but dont really know much about the various areas.
Any other areas that might fit our needs?

Old 11-11-2015, 09:04 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,236 times
Hard to say that you get more for your money, the further from Atlanta you go. If you're only talking sq ft, either in house or yard, then it might be true. Although there are shopping centers at nearly every major intersection anywhere in the county anymore, might not be much else at some, at least not yet.

If you don't want to wait for further development to catch up, then looking more intensively in Marietta itself (since you already like it) might be the way to go. Whether you can find something "fairly quiet" with "friendly neighbours" within your budget might take quite a bit of luck these days, but not impossible.

If you really can't locate anything appropriate, then start looking further afield.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:08 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,378,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Ok, I understand with the "atm" part of rented house atm means. Maybe my brain checked out fro the weekend, but I can't think of anything that doesn't involve a teller machine.
It likely means "at the moment."

Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
It likely means "at the moment."
Ok, I can go along with that since I've got jack with a side of squat for anything remotely sensible "atm" could mean. So would "at the moment' mean a month-to-month lease, the move-in date is immediate, or what?

Old 04-17-2021, 02:22 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Default Powder Springs “Seafood festival” to feature Otis Redding III

The City of Powder Springs is planning to hold a sea-themed community festival May 14-16 at Thurman Springs Park in downtown Powder Springs.

The festival will feature musician Otis Redding III, son of legendary soul singer Otis Redding, and will be free to the public.

Quote:
The City of Powder Springs is holding a festival May 14-16 that will feature music by Otis Redding III, the son of the legendary singer, and Sonny Emory, who is the former drummer for Earth , Wind & Fire.

The free festival has a salt-water sea theme, including fresh seafood, and is entitled “Bringing the Sea to the Springs.”
Powder Springs Festival Features Otis Redding III (Cobb County Courier)

Bringing The Sea To Powder Springs Seafood Festival May 14-16 2021
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta