Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,985,357 times

Advertisements

So I guess all those concealed carry permits and lax gun control laws don't actual make Georgians as safe as they thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 06:51 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,701,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What about the minority? It only took a few to cause death and devastation in Paris. It won't stop there. So spare me that treacle.
Those few weren't all (or even close to majority) Syrian though. Some were French Nationals. Others were Belgian. The one Syrian passport found was identified as a fake.

ISIS wants us to deny refugees. They want us to isolate the war-zones and deny help to people looking to get away. That way they can breed (at that point, well deserved) hatred against the U.S. and European powers who left those people to die. That's how you get terrorist to fight for you, you feed off the fear and resentment and betrayal of the people you with to subjugate and convert.

If we shut out Syrian refugees, we will only hurt ourselves by allowing them to go back and either die or join in the fight for ISIS.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,246,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Do you even know any Syrians? I do, and have for many years.
That literally means nothing in this discussion.

Its like the feels folks can't see the forest through the trees.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,501,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Those few weren't all (or even close to majority) Syrian though. Some were French Nationals. Others were Belgian. The one Syrian passport found was identified as a fake.

ISIS wants us to deny refugees. They want us to isolate the war-zones and deny help to people looking to get away. That way they can breed (at that point, well deserved) hatred against the U.S. and European powers who left those people to die. That's how you get terrorist to fight for you, you feed off the fear and resentment and betrayal of the people you with to subjugate and convert.

If we shut out Syrian refugees, we will only hurt ourselves by allowing them to go back and either die or join in the fight for ISIS.
How many refugees has Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain and Qatar taken in?
Where's all the outrage and hatred over them for not taking any refugees?

Create a safe zone in the middle east where these people can live until the dust settles, but do not bring them here. Even if only 1% turn out to be Jihadist, that's ~1,000 terrorists that will now be living inside our country.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
That literally means nothing in this discussion.

Its like the feels folks can't see the forest through the trees.
It's more like the close the boarders folks can't see the forest for the one thorn bush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post

Create a safe zone in the middle east where these people can live until the dust settles, but do not bring them here. Even if only 1% turn out to be Jihadist, that's ~1,000 terrorists that will now be living inside our country.
Considering this topic is about the U.S. , I was sticking to the U.S. 's policy. Seeing as the U.S. isn't taking in anywhere near the brunt of the refugees, it really shouldn't be a problem for us to handle.

On the topic of those other countries, yes, they damned well aught to be helping. I believe in a unified effort of Middle Eastern countries fighting in coalition with one another. I believe they should be banning together and pooling resources to help their fellow man. I believe that the major world powers should be aiding them and providing support in their efforts in handling a major humanitarian crisis.

In the meantime, these people very much need help, and they need it sooner rather than later. The U.S. has its methods of checks in place, and I can almost guarantee you you and I would have a hard time passing them just due to their depth of investigation.

It's no where near 1% though, not here where there were maybe 2 Iraqis out of the 100,000+ we allowed sanctuary. That's 0.002%, and they were actually caught. There would be FAR too much documentation and scrutiny on anyone coming into our country from a literal Terrorist State for them to get away with anything. We stand to loose far more by refusing help to these people, and we ever could by letting them in.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:28 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,123,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post

Those countries have taken in a lot actually. Lebanon, a tiny country, has let in roughly one million refugees.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Those countries have taken in a lot actually. Lebanon, a tiny country, has let in roughly one million refugees.
Sadly, according to this CNN article from September, Saudi, Kuwait, Oman, and Bahrain have not accepted any refugees, though the UAE has accepted over 100,000 on its own.

That's not to say other Middle Eastern Countries aren't taking them in. Turkey has nearly 2 million. Lebanon (as you said) has over a million. Jordan has nearly 630,000, Iraq has nearly 250,000, and Egypt has over 130,000.

It's not like the Middle East is completely ignoring the refugees, in fact, far from it. The reality is, though, that the countries in the region barely get along with each other, an a unified middle eastern force is nearly unimaginable. We should be leveraging for them to work together better, but that'll take more time than these people have.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:48 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,264,120 times
You're welcome to take an anti-immigrant, anti-refugee stance if you'd like, but please spare me the empty rhetoric about our nation's Christian values.

I'm an atheist, but even I know Matthew 25:40; "The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Old 11-16-2015, 08:22 PM

23,491 posts, read 44,162,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post

I really give a good goddam what ISIS wants from us at this point. This is not a chess game. At this point, the game is called Attrition. That game we can win.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I really give a good goddam what ISIS wants from us at this point. This is not a chess game. At this point, the game is called Attrition. That game we can win.
And that attrition is literally leaving thousands of innocents at the hands of psychopaths until they're all dead or a part of the problem. That's **** foreign policy and will only serve to fuel to anti-U.S. views. I will not stand to let people who have done nothing wrong be sent back to that **** hole. Not when they can become productive members of our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta