Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2015, 10:42 AM

12 posts, read 42,472 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been living in Philadelphia for the last 5 years and was with my late wife for most of that time), but I have many reasons to relocate - and Atlanta is looking pretty attractive (yes, I've witnessed the traffic firsthand but never lived in ATL so I don't know "the commute"). When my late wife died unexpectedly from a seizure about half a year ago (and our dog died a week later), everything changed (sorry about the downer - it's pertinent ).

It's OK - I have a great family, we had no children, and although it was painful life goes on. Plus there are other forums for that subject . Even after changing the decor and furniture arrangement of our (now my) apartment completely, I realized that all I had left in Philly was a handful of relatively new friends and my job. My late wife also worked for my employer until the first dozen or so seizures put a stop to that, but we used to walk there together (Lifestyle note: I currently live in center city Philly and enjoy a walking commute of 15 minutes to the office, plus I'm a 10 or less minute walk to everything one needs except big box stores, and for that there's Zipcar - so I don't need and therefore don't currently own a car.)

All of my family and close friends are still in the Southeast US as I grew up in Huntsville, AL (where my parents live, who aren't getting any younger) and went to college in Tuscaloosa. I have friends and family a short distance away in Birmingham, where I'll have a new baby nephew next spring.

Basically, life in the Southeast is looking a helluva lot better than staying in Philly.

The problem was that I really like my job, employer, and seniority/tenure. After a long talk with HR, I opened the door to an approval for relocating and working with my team remotely (as a couple of others on the team do) as long as it's from another one of our corporate offices. We happen to have a fairly big office in downtown ATL near Baker & Peachtree Center!

But where do I live? Where do I look? I'm single (not by choice, of course - but I don't plan on being alone forever), don't care about schools (and can move if that becomes a factor), and need to get to work at Peachtree in the morning and want a home and social life I'll enjoy!

1. Budget: $1500-2000/mo
2. House/Condo/Townhome? I'll be renting at first, but I'd still like private outdoor space to grill and entertain.
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute, to Boyer & Peachtree downtown.
4. Children(public school vs. private) NONE
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: 3/4 urban? Not sure how close I can get to my office to have a walkable neighborhood I can drive to and from easily. I live 100% urban in Philly and frankly I'm tired of tripping over the panhandlers and whiffing the urine of the homeless on my way to work.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? May be a necessity if I live so far out I need to take MARTA to Peachtree Center Station in order to have a sane commute.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Short commute, please! (I know, I'm spoiled.) I happen to be Caucasian but don't care what ethnicity my neighbors are as long as they're not criminals, keep their property in fair/good shape, and are somewhat friendly to strangers. I don't mind living amongst families with young kids but don't want to be the only single on the block. In fact my Preferable Demographics of MY desired neighborhood is a large concentration of awesome, intelligent, hilarious, genuine, beautiful, adventurous, kind, fun, heart-of-gold type women

In all seriousness, I'd be grateful for any suggestions and welcome questions that would help narrow things down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
If you want the "city center" feel, check out midtown. You won't be able to WALK to Peachtree Center, but you will be able to take MARTA.

If you like things a little gritty and want a really urban feel during the day, downtown may be for you. The big problem with downtown is there's not much night life to speak of, it really quiets down after 6pm when the commuters leave. But it is improving, ever so slowly, and some people think it's the next "big" thing.

If you want an urban suburb that is still just a few miles from the city core, you can check out Buckhead. You can easily ride MARTA to Peachtree Center, but you'll probably need a car for your daily errands. Buckhead is a business center, but it is wealthy, safe, and rather dense with its own skyline. This is probably where most people from Alabama like because it is safe and has good shopping. Probably a great place to meet a middle aged single woman, as well. It's a mix of the city and country....a bit conservative.

Midtown is more "city", you're more likely to meet transplants from other cities. So if you liked Philly, this may be more your speed.

Actually, now that I think about it, downtown probably ISN'T a very good place for someone who wants to be an active single to live.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the advice, ATLTJL!

Old 11-22-2015, 01:05 PM

Midtown may be more my speed, but I'll check out Buckhead too. I like the idea of a melting pot - one where anyone of any ethnicity, gender, or age can feel safe and welcome out running or walking at night (of course in this day & age, one has to be aware of their surroundings - I'd just prefer not to be in a high crime area).

I suppose I should add that I'm not someone who considers diversity "unwelcome". I lean to the left politically, and don't want to be surrounded by racial or religious intolerance, people who judge others more by the content of their bank account more than the content of their character, or any other unsavory attitudes of that sort.

I suppose I have lots of homework to do - if there are any other suggestions or threads (although I DO know how to search ) anyone may want to share, I'd be most appreciative!

Thanks, ATLiens

Old 11-22-2015, 01:20 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Midtown and Buckhead are excellent options. I'd also add Brookhaven to the list. They have townhouses galore and you could take MARTA to downtown. Great shopping, restaurants and tons of folks your age.

The traffic in Atlanta is really not bad that bad as long as you avoid the freeways at rush hour.

Last edited by arjay57; 11-22-2015 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: