Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:08 PM

29 posts, read 31,712 times

Advertisements

Hi.

How are you? Hope you're doing well!

I'm a guy already living in Atlanta (South OTP). I'm getting a new job next month downtown. I want to move to a new area of course that would make commute much simpler, and my life far more enriched.

I've narrowed it down to Midtown/Decatur (30030). I've done some research for a few weeks through your archives and heard plenty of results for both places. I still can't seem to come to a concrete decision but right now, I'm leaning towards Decatur. Here's a breakdown of my preferences:

1. Budget - $800-$1000. Now, I could afford upwards to $1200 if all utilities are included, but otherwise, I'd prefer that range even if I'm likely to be making something around 45k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Apartment preferred if only because I'm not interested in maintenance yet..
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Already said. Downtown commute.
4. Children(public school vs. private) - None.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - I certainly prefer quiet to noise and commotion. Does that make me suburban?
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - Not important, but incredibly convenient if next to a Marta station.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - Like-minded liberal people my age, preferably nerds. I hear a lot of stuff about nightlife in Midtown, but believe me when I say I'm not a bar type of guy. I like artsy/nerdy people more, if that makes sense.

If I were to rate what I'm looking for in order of importance from most to last..

Commute
Demographics
Safe
Public Transit/Marta/Walking Convenience as far as things to do outside of nightlife..?

Last edited by Perfect Geno; 12-16-2015 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:21 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Decatur may be cheaper, and you're not too far from Atlanta either driving or taking MARTA. Other than that, it's really a wash. Unless you give more specifics (which I'm not necessarily advising you to do on the internet) there's not too much more to say. Just be advised that the 30030 zip code extends about 2 miles from downtown Decatur which could be a 5-10 minute drive depending where and what time.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:29 PM

Cheaper certainly helps if it's not much different. 30030 is the zip code I've heard if anyone wants to move to Decatur; at least, from what I've read on this forum. Feel free to tell me other areas within range that would be better.

I'm not really sure what other specifics to give other than whichever unique things both places offer on a convenience/demographics scale. Right now I'm just thinking to myself, if I were to choose Midtown, what would I exactly be paying extra for, other than a ridiculously easy commute mile wise?

Did I mention that I loathe traffic?

Old 12-17-2015, 04:20 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Well, any location along MARTA's Blue Line east of Atlanta to Decatur would be ok too. Look for neighborhoods like Kirkwood, Edgewood, Candler Park, Inman Park. They are not only closer to MARTA, they are ok in their own right and not too far from Midtown on the roads.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
It would be tough to find a place in Midtown for your budget. You may be able to swing your budget on the eastside, south of DeKalb Ave, but those are all good areas and close to MARTA.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:55 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,194 times
Midtown is closer to downtown than Decatur which I'm sure you know, but it is definitely not less expensive. I'd say they are both about equally safe. I live in Midtown and think there is more to do than in Decatur, but I guess it depends on where you live in either location.

If I were your age and moving to Decatur, I'd live near the square, but that doesn't satisfy your criteria for quietness.

As far as things go, Downtown is pretty quiet after 6 so you might want to consider it. Nothing is going to be open after the sun sets, but that would certainly solve the commute issue.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:02 AM

For those recommending neighborhoods and places along East Atlanta, any specific apartments you'd personally recommend?

Also, I'm not too big on the whole nightlife thing. Not that that's all Midtown and some of these areas are about but, it's not extremely important for me to be near an area outside of convenience to work.

Last edited by Perfect Geno; 12-17-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 12-17-2015, 06:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Geno View Post
For those recommending neighborhoods and places along East Atlanta, any specific apartments you'd personally recommend?
Tell this free service the areas you are looking at
Promove - Atlanta Apartment Finder

Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 AM

197 posts, read 184,128 times
Live in Inman park or candler park in a duplex. You can find them under 1,200 with lots of charm, close to marta.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:25 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,300,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post

As far as things go, Downtown is pretty quiet after 6 so you might want to consider it. Nothing is going to be open after the sun sets, but that would certainly solve the commute issue.
This was once true about Downtown, but is not the case any longer. As GSU has increased the number of students living Downtown, many businesses are now open at night to accommodate their needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: