Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 01:17 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Ahhhh Atlanta is at a cross road. It's a confluence of LGBT e I e I ohhhhh, Gays, progressives, and weird business ideas (Ferris Wheel in downtown with a trolley car named no desire) and that's JUST the city....the other 80% of the metro is pretty traditional. You will know them by the one big suburb called the metro....can't miss it....the ones with the red brick house....

The real liberal haunts (San Fran, Chicago, NYC, Austin, etc...) are dripping liberal if for no other reason than to prove it.....funny.

Atlanta? Where else can you go and watch a heshe trapse around with gang bangers the next block over on the down low waiting to either love on em' or, put em' in a grave......where else can you go and see "Steve and Kevin" enjoy a brunch and some slob getting executed a few hours away......

Where else can you watch a fashion show of all sorts of mal adjusted gays and drive 45 minutes in each direction and watch Cletus and Skippy perform all sorts of stoooopid red neck antics with the prelude; "hey ya'll, watch this!"

Atlanta? It's just confused....the town that wants to be nationally prominent for something.....anything...while the rest of the suburbs simply put it on auto-ignore until they have to commute in. And that is an issue relative to EXACTLY how far "in" they have to push...

No. Georgia is not liberal. It just has a smattering of a few characters here and there that pretty much keep within the DMZ (Inside the Perimeter or ITP as the hipsters call it from the comfort of mon n' dad's BMW) for safety as most of us are armed to the teeth (or teef depending on where you live) and there, they make a LOT of noise....to the rest of us, it's just more traffic and distractions.....I'm just hoping they don't install a log flume next in downtown or I am leaving out of sheer embarrassment within the business community....picture that, a bunch of folks consisting of homeless, tourists, and business people getting around in a log flume....it would NOT surprise me......

Atlanta has some folks vocal folks determined to open up bath houses for a "me too" effect.......for now, those folks have to settle on or Golds Gym, Anytime Fitness, Lifetime Fitness or some privacy in a parking lot.....nothing more....And mercifully, the staff and the public at large look dimly upon too guys "stretching" in the sauna.....
Try not s***posting for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 01:43 PM

47 posts, read 49,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
From the resident Houston homer? LOL That argument was pretty much hogwash and was roundly refuted by several people; I went at it with him the longest. Most of the Texans in the thread agreed that Dallas was more liberal. If anything demonstrated that, it was the defeat of HERO which came on the same day that Dallas actually strengthened its equal rights ordinance.

There were so few poll votes for Dallas and Houston anyway, compared to Miami and Atlanta, that the actual responses--from Texans--were more telling.
How was that poster a homer? From what I saw, he/she seemed pretty reasonable in general, and gave all the cities credit where it was due. Some of his/her points, yes, were out there (like the comparison with Provincetown when you consider HERO's defeat), but the other points were quite strong, and reasonable, and countered all the opponents refutations.

As far as more Texans agreeing that Dallas was more liberal, no. From what I could understand, most of them said the differences between them were minimal, if any; if anything, I saw more people, Texans included, saying that Houston was more liberal.

And Dallas's strengthening of its ordinance was an entirely different scenario than Houston's rejection, as Dallas made the decision through city council, while Houston's rejection was by popular referendum. Keep in mind that the Dallas ordinance's time for referendum was expired (since it had been in place since 2002), so it could not be subject to the legal/political gymnastics that Houston's ordinance was subject to. Also keep in mind that in the Spring of 2014, Houston passed its ordinance with the same level of strength as the new Dallas ordinance through city council; for about a year and a half, Houston had a stronger ERO in effect than Dallas did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Somehow I missed that. Still, it seems we can't discuss anything about Atlanta on this forum without bringing other cities into the conversation. We could have a topic on gas stations, and within the first five posts someone would be talking about Oregon.
My guess is that the OP was looking more for the factors that allowed Atlanta to stand out as quite liberal compared to the other large southern cities, despite demographics/traits that would suggest the city being more conservative.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:47 PM

60 posts, read 65,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would say the city proper leans liberal but it is not overwhelmingly so. Voting Democratic doesn't necessarily translate into liberal views on social concerns, the military and foreign policy, the environment, or a host of other issues.

Agreed. Georgia's 2nd tier cities are a textbook example of socially conservative places with Democratic local governments.

And to the OP.......Atlanta's status as the biggest city for hundreds of miles around is what makes Atlanta relatively liberal compared for the rest of the South.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:51 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.0.N.I.C. View Post
How was that poster a homer? From what I saw, he/she seemed pretty reasonable in general, and gave all the cities credit where it was due. Some of his/her points, yes, were out there (like the comparison with Provincetown when you consider HERO's defeat), but the other points were quite strong, and reasonable, and countered all the opponents refutations.

As far as more Texans agreeing that Dallas was more liberal, no. From what I could understand, most of them said the differences between them were minimal, if any; if anything, I saw more people, Texans included, saying that Houston was more liberal.

And Dallas's strengthening of its ordinance was an entirely different scenario than Houston's rejection, as Dallas made the decision through city council, while Houston's rejection was by popular referendum. Keep in mind that the Dallas ordinance's time for referendum was expired (since it had been in place since 2002), so it could not be subject to the legal/political gymnastics that Houston's ordinance was subject to. Also keep in mind that in the Spring of 2014, Houston passed its ordinance with the same level of strength as the new Dallas ordinance through city council; for about a year and a half, Houston had a stronger ERO in effect than Dallas did.

My guess is that the OP was looking more for the factors that allowed Atlanta to stand out as quite liberal compared to the other large southern cities, despite demographics/traits that would suggest the city being more conservative.
Oh! Never mind...welcome back.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:27 PM

47 posts, read 49,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh! Never mind...welcome back.
What do you mean?

Old 12-23-2015, 02:52 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Because Austin is the liberal hub of Texas, not Dallas or Houston, which are more of business cities. Atlanta is the main liberal/progressive/LGBT-friendly/educated/open-minded hub of the southeast.

Also it has to do with suburban sprawl, and how this area is more of a region and less a city. The actual city is still a small chunk of the metro area population. So given the usual lifestyle preferences and trends, most of the conservatism in Atlanta does not actually live in Atlanta. Buckhead has conservatives, but it has liberals as well. And the rest of the city is majority liberal.

Miami probably leans conservative because it's the wealthiest city in the U.S.

Miami is the wealthiest city? It's not even ONE of the wealthiest cities, what on earth? It's one of the poorest! Last I checked, there was more to Miami than beach front mansions and condos, homeboy. Go into the in-land areas, go to Allapatah or Overtown. Jesus H. Christ. Miami's not even ALL that conservative, either. Most of it's conservatives are Cuban Americans who are middle class.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:03 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
By and large they are... this is not a debatable fact. Especially gays. Because by definition, conservatives views line up counter to LGBT and most minorities.

Pretty much if you are not a rich, white male, you have no business voting republican. But tons of mouth breathing, broke as hell white people still do because they hate blacks so much
Found the liberal moron. I'm gay, and I'm politically independent. I agree with viewpoints from both liberals and conservatives, and disagree with others. I know conservative gays AND conservative blacks. Lots of liberal policies are extremely racist just in a more subtle way.. cough cough affirmative action cough cough.

Can't a man marry another man, but also own a gun, get his dinner with it and oppose illegal immigration, all while being a native Spanish speaker? Ay ay ay! Can't stand all these stereotypes and assumptions of what political viewpoints I should have, because of where I stick my prick in. Americans love to pigeonhole one another.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:22 PM

163 posts, read 156,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I wouldn't argue that Atlanta is more liberal than Miami.

Perhaps in the aggregate it is. If Miami skews more conservative than Atlanta, which I don't think it does -- but if it does, it's due to the large Cuban population which is almost 100% conservative. You can look up why, I'm not sure myself, but I believe it dates back to conservative US viewpoints on Castro. Almost all Cubans in Miami are Republicans, last time I checked.

I also think Atlanta is much more diverse than Dallas, which seems to include mostly white and Hispanic people, with a few blacks. Atlanta is white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, and everything else in the world.

So it's kind of a weird question....Houston and Dallas are conservative because they are in Texas, and it's highly debatable whether Miami is more conservative than Atlanta.
Dallas Metro black population @ 1 million and Houston metro @1.1 million

Old 12-23-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.0.N.I.C. View Post
What do you mean?
Nice try Anthony. Welcome back.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Found the liberal moron. I'm gay, and I'm politically independent. I agree with viewpoints from both liberals and conservatives, and disagree with others. I know conservative gays AND conservative blacks. Lots of liberal policies are extremely racist just in a more subtle way.. cough cough affirmative action cough cough.
Affirmative action is extremely racist???? Give me a break Abby.

But nobody's saying that gay people can't be conservative but it's plainly obvious that there's an extremely strong correlation between liberal cities and cities with large gay populations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta