Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:46 PM

410 posts, read 432,939 times

Advertisements

(UPDATE) Atlanta annexation bill intended to resolve DeKalb 911 issues - Decaturish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 03:47 PM

410 posts, read 432,939 times
State Rep. Howard Mosby, D-Atlanta, has introduced an annexation bill that would bring several DeKalb County neighborhoods into the city of Atlanta.

Mosby said he has introduced the bill due to concerns about 911 response times in that area of DeKalb County.

“We had a number of people who have gone into serious arrest and we’ve had a couple of people die because of the lack of response between Atlanta and DeKalb and we want to clean that up,” Mosby said.

If the bill passes through the Legislature and is signed by the governor, it would have to be approved by voters in a referendum this November. If approved, it would annex between 10,000 and 15,000 people into the city of Atlanta.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:54 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,084 times
Quote:
Decaturish asked Mosby whether the map conflicts with the map for the proposed city of Greenhaven.

“I don’t care …
How most feel about Greenhaven, though I don't see anyone asking for this annexation either. Surprising though how most neighborhoods on any side of town would rather be in the COA.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:05 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Sounds good in principal. The southern boundary of Atlanta in DeKalb County is a bit of a mess and should be evened out.

Now some of these sound like they would fit better into Decatur or Avondale Estates, but you can't tell without a map.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,878,856 times
here's the map; it took a few minutes but this should give a clearer picture of what's actually being annexed. it directly abuts the south and east city limits of atlanta and decatur.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Ws&usp=sharing

Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
here's the map; it took a few minutes but this should give a clearer picture of what's actually being annexed. it directly abuts the south and east city limits of atlanta and decatur.
Oh la la. Love this.

But, I think the City of Decatur should've gone for Midway Woods when they had the chance.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
What about Katie Kerr, Forest Hills, and the rest of Belvedere Park?

Old 01-19-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What about Katie Kerr, Forest Hills, and the rest of Belvedere Park?
those aren't included in the proposal. the areas to be annexed are just the voting districts listed in the bill.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
those aren't included in the proposal. the areas to be annexed are just the voting districts listed in the bill.

Oh. Those neighborhoods were listed in the article.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Oh. Those neighborhoods were listed in the article.
the proposed area includes parts of some of those neighbourhoods, that's probably where the confusion came from. i used the HB and census data to put together the map of the area; personally i would be fine if the city of atlanta was to annex everything around the city of decatur, since decatur doesn't seem to want to annex anything themselves.

if they want to annex belvedere park i'm fine with that too, but the bill only includes the areas on the map; if they are planning on annexing more than that, they need to amend the bill.

i'm thinking either i'm missing something or mosby is; he said this in the article: “If 911 knew everything west of Candler Road and north of Memorial Drive was Atlanta, Georgia, they’d know they’d send Grady EMS to 911,” Mosby said. “If it were east of Candler Road, it would be DeKalb County. It would be a simple thing for them to know to do.”

however the bill he proposed doesn't do that. it leaves out katie kerr (between decatur and avondale estates) which is north of memorial drive, leaves out everything west of candler road and south of tilson rd, and includes a pretty big area that is east of candler road.

i'm going to re-read the bill and make sure i haven't made a mistake, but i went over it several times already.

Last edited by bryantm3; 01-19-2016 at 10:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta