Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 11:57 AM

787 posts, read 969,268 times

Advertisements

The sad part is that most likely many of his colleagues and even others around the country think the same way but are not stupid enough to post in on social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 12:18 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
The sad part is that most likely many of his colleagues and even others around the country think the same way but are not stupid enough to post in on social media.
Sort of wonder-- if his group of friends and family were so insulated and bigoted that none of them thought that posting this *stuff* was, at at a minimum, a really bad idea, or did he have some friends and family all but begging him not to post this *stuff*, and but he was too stupid to listen. Either way, it's good he's gone.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:21 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
Yet another example of how institutional racism injects itself into our classrooms.

Georgia lawmaker wants amendment protecting Confederate carving | The Watchdog blog

Now a Georgia Lawmaker (aka: somebody who votes on educational policy in this state), Benton was a middle school history teacher. Here is a quote from him out of the AJC article I linked:

'"...Benton said there are two sides to that story as well. The Klan “was not so much a racist thing but a vigilante thing to keep law and order,” he said. “It made a lot of people straighten up,” he said. “I’m not saying what they did was right. It’s just the way things were.”'

Again, please think about it before you comment. This man was a history teacher! He taught students, black and white. He thinks the Klan WASN'T RACIST. Do you think he gave his black students equal attention and opportunity as his white students? Do you think he made any minority student feel that they were capable of learning or achieving, when teaching history he taught his students that the Confederacy wasn't about slavery, and that the Klan was what was needed to keep law and order at the time? Come on now, as more of these nutbags are outed, how can people continue to stay institutional racism doesn't exist, and doesn't impact our students - and in the long range, our society? Unbelievable.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:42 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,486,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
Yet another example of how institutional racism injects itself into our classrooms.

Georgia lawmaker wants amendment protecting Confederate carving | The Watchdog blog

Now a Georgia Lawmaker (aka: somebody who votes on educational policy in this state), Benton was a middle school history teacher. Here is a quote from him out of the AJC article I linked:

'"...Benton said there are two sides to that story as well. The Klan “was not so much a racist thing but a vigilante thing to keep law and order,” he said. “It made a lot of people straighten up,” he said. “I’m not saying what they did was right. It’s just the way things were.”'

Again, please think about it before you comment. This man was a history teacher! He taught students, black and white. He thinks the Klan WASN'T RACIST. Do you think he gave his black students equal attention and opportunity as his white students? Do you think he made any minority student feel that they were capable of learning or achieving, when teaching history he taught his students that the Confederacy wasn't about slavery, and that the Klan was what was needed to keep law and order at the time? Come on now, as more of these nutbags are outed, how can people continue to stay institutional racism doesn't exist, and doesn't impact our students - and in the long range, our society? Unbelievable.
Now that is one idiotic moron. He knows the Klan would have killed any person of color or Jew on sight, yet he makes these type of "they weren't this..." statements. This is why nonwhites and social egalitarian whites need to vote in every single election that is held from here on out because these type of a-holes need to be removed from the majority of public offices in this state...

Old 01-28-2016, 03:43 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:

That kind of revisionist "history" is really bad. Yes, it is true that the Klan also attacked some white folks, but it's indisputable that Klan members were white and that their primary focus was on terrorizing blacks.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:54 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:

I was also taught that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. I knew that this was complete bulls*** and I could recognize it from that early on. Most people don't think and that is the problem with our society. People don't think and just believe everything they hear. That is why there is such a huge push in Texas to continue the whitewashing of history books (which are already whitewashed if you ask me). They know people won't care about the truth enough and will just believe everything they read/are taught.

I'm very concerned with the students he was teaching. I'm curious to know if and how many black and Hispanic students received lower marks on their papers, quizzes, tests, etc., than they deserved; I am also curious to know how harshly he punished black students versus white students. These teachers know what they are doing and are in this position to further their hatefulness and keeping certain people down while helping out their own. You will find the same in the police force, etc. They are everywhere and have a mission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta