Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 715 times

Advertisements

I'm a 27 year old Latino from NYC who is interested in relocating out of NY to another city, most likely ATL. I know their have been numerous threads on living in ATL, however I want to be more specific into what I am looking for. My career is in Nursing, and once i finish nursing school I plan on leaving NY for a change. Don't get me wrong, NYC is an amazing city with incredible opportunities in my field, however I'm looking for a change. I don't enjoy the long and frigid winters with snow and prefer a warmer climate. In addition, the fast paced lifestyle and living conditions of NYC are not for me anymore. I am a masculine gay male who is also looking for a city where I can meet young professionals like myself for networking, friendship, dating, etc.

I have been to Atlanta many times in the past few years and I love the nightlife, the environment, and vibe of the southern city. As a young Latino who is mostly attracted to African-American men and culture, I am wondering if Atlanta is really a good move for me with respect to my career, lifestyle, and love life. Is ATL a good city for young professionals? Is it geared more towards African-Americans? Has anyone moved from NYC to ATL and regretted their decision? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 07:57 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Yes definitely, and the ATL has a mix of many different cultures including a strong African American and Latino culture. We also have a strong medical field so you'll be likely to find good work here.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:10 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
Sounds like Atlanta would be great for you. Let's be honest though. You have...for the most part already made up your mind and just want confirmation.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:08 PM

115 posts, read 103,810 times
Atlanta has both a very strong and active gay community as well as a diverse healthcare industry that is averaging starting incomes above the national average for nurses. The latino community is also very large and diverse. The Mexican community is the largest, however there are large numbers of Columbians, Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Brazilians as well. I am actually married to a Brazilian guy that I met here.

One of the best things I love about the city is the affordability given how large the city is. I lived in NYC for college and if I were still there, even with my great paying job, I would still be living paycheck to paycheck and paying rent. Here, I bought a 3/2 bedroom home very close to the city center and subway. And...I have enough left over every month to save. Atlanta is not NYC. The vibe is closer to that of Los Angeles as is the way things are spread out. Great, cheap flights to the Caribbean, Yucatan and other hot vacation spots.

Welcome to Atlanta!

Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKaten88 View Post
I'm a 27 year old Latino from NYC who is interested in relocating out of NY to another city, most likely ATL. I know their have been numerous threads on living in ATL, however I want to be more specific into what I am looking for. My career is in Nursing, and once i finish nursing school I plan on leaving NY for a change. Don't get me wrong, NYC is an amazing city with incredible opportunities in my field, however I'm looking for a change. I don't enjoy the long and frigid winters with snow and prefer a warmer climate. In addition, the fast paced lifestyle and living conditions of NYC are not for me anymore. I am a masculine gay male who is also looking for a city where I can meet young professionals like myself for networking, friendship, dating, etc.

I have been to Atlanta many times in the past few years and I love the nightlife, the environment, and vibe of the southern city. As a young Latino who is mostly attracted to African-American men and culture, I am wondering if Atlanta is really a good move for me with respect to my career, lifestyle, and love life. Is ATL a good city for young professionals? Is it geared more towards African-Americans? Has anyone moved from NYC to ATL and regretted their decision? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't blame you man. N.Y.C. is very much pushing poor people and the middle class out of the city. I know a lot of people from the Boroughs who made the move.

Most I know have not regretted their move because like you, they can't stand the cold. Just kidding but I do remember one person saying she misses New York but she can't deal with the cold and so she probably wouldn't consider moving back. I have heard most people from N.Y. say that they moved to Georgia to buy a house. They could not afford a house in N.Y. for what they wanted/needed but could in Georgia. Some people just wanted to have their own little yard.

There have been a few who could not get used to Georgia and have had to find a way to move back. I knew someone in school who was sent to Georgia as punishment (that's what she called it). Some people can't live without N.Y. But most who come down here are ready to somewhat settle and establish a life for themselves. They tend to be ready for the change. They also tend to have good experiences as they move with family.

You've done the right thing in visiting Atlanta a few times to get a feel of the place. For that career, I don't think you will have any problems at all. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: