Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:57 AM

95 posts, read 86,165 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to Atlanta this summer. We are looking in the Marietta / East Cobb area due to the schools. My office is will be located off of Camp Creek Pkwy near the Camp Creek Marketplace, just west off of 285.

Anyone have any current rush hours commute times for this? We are looking in the area of Indian Hills CC.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 10:59 AM

787 posts, read 970,867 times
Why Marietta/East Cobb? Why not live closer to work?

Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Good question. We have 1 small child and another on the way, so we are seeking an area with good public schools. Also, we have friends and family in that area that can help with the kids. My wife and I both work, and my schedule can be quite unpredictable.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:09 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,318,838 times
Indian Hills is pretty deep into East Cobb, and pretty far from Interstates 75 and 285 as a result. I imagine that Roswell Road and Lower Roswell Road can get pretty backed up in both the morning and evening. Google Maps estimates a 45 minute commute in typical morning rush hour traffic, and around 50-55 minutes in typical evening rush hour traffic.

You might make it a bit easier on yourself if you searched a bit closer to I -75, nearer to Old Canton Road.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Indian Hills is pretty deep into East Cobb, and pretty far from Interstates 75 and 285 as a result. I imagine that Roswell Road and Lower Roswell Road can get pretty backed up in both the morning and evening. Google Maps estimates a 45 minute commute in typical morning rush hour traffic, and around 50-55 minutes in typical evening rush hour traffic.

You might make it a bit easier on yourself if you searched a bit closer to I -75, nearer to Old Canton Road.
Thanks for the recommendation! I really wanted to stay in the Sope Creek Elementary to Walton HS district. I will see how that area looks for schools. As long as I can keep my commute regularly under an hour, that is my goal. We are moving from Orange County, CA, so I am used to traffic, but obviously want to minimize to the extent possible.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:24 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,318,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Vol View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I really wanted to stay in the Sope Creek Elementary to Walton HS district. I will see how that area looks for schools. As long as I can keep my commute regularly under an hour, that is my goal. We are moving from Orange County, CA, so I am used to traffic, but obviously want to minimize to the extent possible.
Certainly good choices as far as both schools are concerned. The area immediately adjacent to Sope Creek is extremely expensive, though I don't know how far that school's zone extends. Honestly, I would think that any elementary school that feeds into Walton would be very, very good, so I wouldn't limit yourself only to Sope Creek.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Certainly good choices as far as both schools are concerned. The area immediately adjacent to Sope Creek is extremely expensive, though I don't know how far that school's zone extends. Honestly, I would think that any elementary school that feeds into Walton would be very, very good, so I wouldn't limit yourself only to Sope Creek.
You are definitely correct. Looks like East Side is another good elementary school that feeds Walton. That definitely opens my search some. Trulia estimates the commute time to be around 45 mins. Anyone think that is realistic from the Lower Roswell Rd area?

Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,780,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Vol View Post
You are definitely correct. Looks like East Side is another good elementary school that feeds Walton. That definitely opens my search some. Trulia estimates the commute time to be around 45 mins. Anyone think that is realistic from the Lower Roswell Rd area?

45 minutes is way too optimistic.

I live in Smyrna and drive to Camp Creek Pkwy once a week (at about 7:45am) - It takes me 30 minutes. 10 minutes to drive 3 miles to I-285 and another 20 minutes to drive 20 miles to Camp Creek.

I live approx. 9-10 miles southwest of Indian Hills CC and I drive there once per week about 7:00pm and it takes me 30 minutes with average traffic.

My guess is the BEST of conditions will put you at 1 hour. Note that Lower Roswell is torn up these days and will be for several months ahead so traffic for now I expect is not fun in the morning.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:08 PM

246 posts, read 316,860 times
I used to drive that general direction, using 285 South but then to I-20, and then downtown. What usually should have taken 30 minutes took about 40-45 at rush hour, which compared to my poor I-75 commuters, was pretty good.

Just my opinion--I think you might have to commute/work an off-peak schedule, unfortunately. East Cobb is convenient to just about nothing as far as interstate access. I have had to be in East Cobb also at 5:30 p.m., and I hated life at that moment.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:24 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,757,037 times
You could try moving to Powder Springs or Lithia Springs and have a straight shot commute to your office. Not sure about Lithia Springs high but Mceachern High is an excellent high school. The neighborhoods in each city are safe and nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta