Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 06:34 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Lawrenceville wanted to expand their airport to accommodate commercial service but the locals said HELL NO to that.

Can't say that I blame them.

Maybe the solution is to give regional airports such as the ones in Columbus and Augusta some love.
And Both of those airports have commercial service, are adequately suited to handle, and completely do not have something important called market demand.

People from Atlanta can already go there on their own and don't.

People/businesses across the region want added convenience and options, not an additional 1.5-2 hour drive from the Atlanta airport.

Walker1962,

A site in Gwinnett was never 'selected' to become 'the' 2nd Atlanta airport.

What happened was a private investment firm approached Gwinnett County to privatize the airport and part of that plan was to build a commercial terminal for commuter operations. They only wanted to build a 10-gate terminal and were willing to make a concession on it being limited to a 10-gate terminal as part of the privatization.

That firm then went to Paulding County after Gwinnett passed on the opportunity.

There was much speculation that the firm was going to have a contract with Southwest and it was the way they were trying to enter the Atlanta market, except they never stopped trying after Southwest bought AirTran and even down-sized the foot print out of ATL they had bought.

I suspect they were trying to sell gate space to airlines wanting to take on the Delta monopoly mainly flying between Atlanta and outside hubs and top markets, like NYC and Miami.

Now I happen to agree with this strategy. I don't think Atlanta needs another major airport, a Midway or a Love field. Those are leftovers from when those cities built a larger airport. I think we need 3-4 commuter terminals throughout town to not take-on ATL or be a hub, but offer some premium O&D product differentiation to boost the region's economy.

This is also what I would like to see for Dobbins. I think people in this city have trouble envisioning this and often overplay their impact, because they are so use to what ATL is and the extreme scale of an operation and traffic it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:45 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I can guarantee you that Columbus would be all in for that.
That's what I'm thinking. Why force commercial service on a place that doesn't want it? Why not invest in existing infrastructure that does want to expand some?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:18 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Interesting.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:23 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Interesting.
What's that?

Old 08-28-2018, 07:52 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That's what I'm thinking. Why force commercial service on a place that doesn't want it? Why not invest in existing infrastructure that does want to expand some?
That is why there has been a push for high-speed rail.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:18 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
And Both of those airports have commercial service, are adequately suited to handle, and completely do not have something important called market demand.

People from Atlanta can already go there on their own and don't.

People/businesses across the region want added convenience and options, not an additional 1.5-2 hour drive from the Atlanta airport.

Walker1962,

A site in Gwinnett was never 'selected' to become 'the' 2nd Atlanta airport.

What happened was a private investment firm approached Gwinnett County to privatize the airport and part of that plan was to build a commercial terminal for commuter operations. They only wanted to build a 10-gate terminal and were willing to make a concession on it being limited to a 10-gate terminal as part of the privatization.

That firm then went to Paulding County after Gwinnett passed on the opportunity.

There was much speculation that the firm was going to have a contract with Southwest and it was the way they were trying to enter the Atlanta market, except they never stopped trying after Southwest bought AirTran and even down-sized the foot print out of ATL they had bought.

I suspect they were trying to sell gate space to airlines wanting to take on the Delta monopoly mainly flying between Atlanta and outside hubs and top markets, like NYC and Miami.

Now I happen to agree with this strategy. I don't think Atlanta needs another major airport, a Midway or a Love field. Those are leftovers from when those cities built a larger airport. I think we need 3-4 commuter terminals throughout town to not take-on ATL or be a hub, but offer some premium O&D product differentiation to boost the region's economy.

This is also what I would like to see for Dobbins. I think people in this city have trouble envisioning this and often overplay their impact, because they are so use to what ATL is and the extreme scale of an operation and traffic it is.

Peachtree Dekalb Airport would actually be a perfect 2nd ATL airport, as it is rigt by MARTA rail line and 30 mins North of Hartsfield, but would never happen though.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:41 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,992 times
Columbus is 1.5 hours away from Atlanta. A second Atlanta airport needs to be in within metro Atlanta.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Peachtree Dekalb Airport would actually be a perfect 2nd ATL airport, as it is rigt by MARTA rail line and 30 mins North of Hartsfield, but would never happen though.
I agree it is a good option.

What is noteworthy about PDK is the local neighborhood resistance is particularly strong, but there is also a reason for it.

In many ways Dekalb messed up zoning policy in the '50s and '60s and placed too many single family homes too close to the airport and flight paths.

They have since made some very positive changes in removing a runway with a poor flight path and made their new longer runway place over an industrial/commercial corridor. They also bought out some of the older properties on that flight path using a program from the FAA to increase airport buffers.

The ultimate problem, is it already mobilized the community into a strong group.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:25 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Columbus is 1.5 hours away from Atlanta. A second Atlanta airport needs to be in within metro Atlanta.
Well, that and 95% of metro Atlanta would have to drive past Hartsfield to get to Columbus.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:44 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Well, that and 95% of metro Atlanta would have to drive past Hartsfield to get to Columbus.
That right there knocks it out of the competition.
The most solid proposal for a second airport continues to be Dobbins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta