Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 17,889 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be retiring in a couple of years. We would like to purchase a home in the $300k to $400k range. Our preference would have been a gated 55+ community with a two bedroom ranch home. However, we rescued a pit bull seven years ago who has never shown any aggression whatsoever. That being said she is now elderly and giving her up is not an option. Are there any nice, safe neighborhoods in Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek or nearby with sidewalks, perhaps walkable to shopping, where we could find a 2 to 3 bedroom home, master on main that will allow us to take our dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 06:39 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlfamily View Post
My husband and I will be retiring in a couple of years. We would like to purchase a home in the $300k to $400k range. Our preference would have been a gated 55+ community with a two bedroom ranch home. However, we rescued a pit bull seven years ago who has never shown any aggression whatsoever. That being said she is now elderly and giving her up is not an option. Are there any nice, safe neighborhoods in Alpharetta, Roswell, Johns Creek or nearby with sidewalks, perhaps walkable to shopping, where we could find a 2 to 3 bedroom home, master on main that will allow us to take our dog?
Oh, I feel for you. We had a pure pit bull for several years (RIP) who was an absolute gem of a dog -- i never saw her show any aggression to anyone 2- or 4-legged. That dog made friends wherever she went.

Here's a thought: Are you 100% sure this dog is a pitbill as opposed to a mix of something with terrier mixed in? Reason I ask is this: We took in a stray dog that we assumed was a pitbull due to his appearance, although he is a little smaller framed. On a whim I decided to get him DNA tested via an online service a vet told me about. (Wisdom Panel)

It came back that he is predominately boxer, with some terrier mixed in. (Now, the DNA screening IS capable of detecting American Staffordshire Terrier, so I assume that if he was pit it would have shown up that way.)

Even though it doesn't matter to me whether he is pit or boxer or what, I now have the benefit of DNA results that show "boxer" that I can present to a HOA or whatever if needed. It's not a card I think I'll have to pull but you never know.

Anyway, your dog may be pit but if there are other characteristics you might want to check it out.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:14 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Your biggest challenge may be finding a gated community. While it is common for apartments and condos to be gated, it's not that common for SFHs. The only gated subdivision that immediately comes to mind for me is Country Club of the South which is in Alpharetta.

I don't think you have to worry about breed restrictions if you are buying a house. I know someone in Acworth who owns a wolf that he walks around on a leash; I won't put my hands anywhere near it, but he seems friendly enough. I have not done any research, but the only state I hear about on the news with breed restrictions is Florida.

Most of the suburbs you mention have sidewalks, but that doesn't mean they are all that walkable. In that I mean, if you want to walk around your subdivision then good but if you actually want to walk to a store, then you probably need to get in the car unless you're up for a 10K stroll.

Of the choices, I'd go with Roswell. Alpharetta and John's Creek have a lot of young families and you might get snubbed by people with young children for having a dog that looks like a pit bull and while having sidewalks, it's like the walk to nowhere.

It's not on your list, but it seems like Peachtree City might suit you. It's on the south side of the city though. You might also like Smyrna, but hurry because the prices are rising due to the construction of the new stadium.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:30 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Check into the Orchards communities. Some of them have areas set aside for dogs, so they are definitely pet friendly. The neighborhood in Crabapple would be an easy walk to groceries and pharmacies too:

The Orchards At Crabapple in Roswell Georgia

Old 04-07-2016, 08:52 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
As far as I know, breed restrictions are the realm of apartment communities and landlords. I guess an HOA technically COULD issue them, but I don't know of it happening.

Not sure where you are coming from, but down here, rescue dogs are quite common. And in Georgia, if you're rescuing a medium or large sized mixed breed dog, chances are good that there is at least some pit in the dog. Pits and pit mixes are very common down here, and so log as you are a responsible owner and keep the dog on a leash, nobody cares.

Just take a look at the Gwinnett county animal shelter. Generally speaking, half the dogs there are pits or pit mixes: https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/porta.../AvailableDogs

The sheriff of Gwinnett county is also a big dog person and he has pitbulls. R. L. “Butch” Conway – Sheriff | Animal Legal Defense Fund

Interestingly, you are technically not allowed to own a pitbull if you live in Lawrenceville, which is the county seat of Gwinnett county. I don't live there, but I'm guessing the law isn't enforced given how many pitbulls there are in the area. Something to consider, though!

I think overall you aren't going to have trouble getting acceptance for your friendly pitbull anywhere around here. There may be HOAs that mention aggressive animals, but I would imagine outward bans are the exception and not the rule.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:06 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
As far as I know, breed restrictions are the realm of apartment communities and landlords. I guess an HOA technically COULD issue them, but I don't know of it happening.

Not sure where you are coming from, but down here, rescue dogs are quite common. And in Georgia, if you're rescuing a medium or large sized mixed breed dog, chances are good that there is at least some pit in the dog. Pits and pit mixes are very common down here, and so log as you are a responsible owner and keep the dog on a leash, nobody cares.

Just take a look at the Gwinnett county animal shelter. Generally speaking, half the dogs there are pits or pit mixes: https://www.gwinnettcounty.com/porta.../AvailableDogs

The sheriff of Gwinnett county is also a big dog person and he has pitbulls. R. L. “Butch” Conway – Sheriff | Animal Legal Defense Fund

Interestingly, you are technically not allowed to own a pitbull if you live in Lawrenceville, which is the county seat of Gwinnett county. I don't live there, but I'm guessing the law isn't enforced given how many pitbulls there are in the area. Something to consider, though!

I think overall you aren't going to have trouble getting acceptance for your friendly pitbull anywhere around here. There may be HOAs that mention aggressive animals, but I would imagine outward bans are the exception and not the rule.
It used to be something like you had to have a fence with a minimum height of 6 feet or something like that. We adopted a pit from the animal shelter for sister's ex (owner got arrested or something like that). They said they don't even bother giving pits to people living inside Lville limits because the law is so strict but we're unincorporated so we were allowed to. They may have gone outright banning them since then (2010).

Old 04-07-2016, 06:51 PM

Default Thank you all

We will probably go the route of buying a house. After 7 yrs. there is no way I would allow my dog to spend her golden years anywhere else than with us. I did not mention that she rescued me from a home invasion. We live in a fairly affluent neighborhood in New Jersey where people believe they are safe from harm. She snapped and snarled and deterred the person from trying to force open my back door. She has more than earned her right to be with us till she dies. I will look into purchasing a regular house. Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Your biggest challenge may be finding a gated community. While it is common for apartments and condos to be gated, it's not that common for SFHs. The only gated subdivision that immediately comes to mind for me is Country Club of the South which is in Alpharetta.
There's quite a few in that area. But probably not in the 300K to 400K range, and not 55+ communities. Off the top of my head: St. Ives, St. Marlo, one or two along Bell Road, one or two along the northern shore of Lake Windward. I'm sure I would find more around Alpharetta and Roswell.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 PM

761 posts, read 906,285 times
It's not on your list, but it seems like Peachtree City might suit you. It's on the south side of the city though. [/quote]

Peachtree City may be a good option. It's an affluent suburb south of Atlanta (avg. income around 110K). There are several 55+ neighborhoods in PTC, and a few 55+ communities in your price range. There's also a great senior city in the heart of Peachtree City, and as a bonus, you'll be able to travel anywhere in a golf cart.

It's also been rated one of the top 10 places in the country to retire.

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website - Active Adults - 55 and Over

Peachtree City, GA - Official Website - The Gathering Place

Here are a couple of sample communities.

Somerby of Peachtree City Retirement Community | Fayette County GA

Senior Independent Living - Peachtree City GA

Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 AM

Apologies to atlantagreg. This was my first post in five years and was not sure if it had somehow been deleted when I didn't see it. Hence the duplication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta