Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 12:17 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times

Advertisements

So, this actually came out all the way back in October, but I never realized it'd been released, and didn't see any discussion on it, so here's a sparkly new thread about it!

Link to the October 2015 PDF

At a cursory glance, I notice a few things:
The one that jabbed me the most is that the MMPT is written as the 'Georgia MMPT', as opposed to the 'Atlanta MMPT'. Dunno who's decision it was, and i'm most likely overblowing it, but I don't like the change.

Next, that none of the Atlanta approaches include using the Eastside BeltLine. The closest you get, is following either the existing CSX or NS approaches into the city.

Finally, that it's not too expensive. The highest price of the considered alternative, was only $15 Billion. The highest cost for any Georgia section, specifically, was estimated as $4.3 Billion.

I'll keep reading and digging, but it almost looks like an actual plan to get something done. Almost. We're still not due to be done with the Tier-II study and have an actual decision until 2017, but eh, progress I guess. Maybe by then, we'll have some better local transit on the way?

PDF Link
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 01:57 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Good find, fourthwarden.

I like the route proposed to operate along the current right-of-way of the Amtrak Southern Crescent because that route would serve such locations as Clemson, South Carolina and the campus of Clemson University as well as other locations like (the politically powerful Northeast Georgia city of) Gainesville, Downtown Greenville, Downtown Spartanburg, etc.

I also like that the south end of the line is proposed to be at the world-leading Atlanta Airport and that the line will connect the ATL Airport to other major transportation assets like Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport and Charlotte-Douglas International Airport on the way to connecting with the DC-Philly-NYC-Boston Northeast Corridor by way of Greensboro, Raleigh and Richmond.

Also, the decision to change the name of the proposed multimodal transportation terminal in Downtown Atlanta to the "Georgia MMPT" was likely a decision made by the Georgia Department of Transportation to generate more support from Georgia state legislators to fund the project. Calling the project "Georgia MMPT" is likely a public relations attempt from GDOT to generate support for the project from parts of the state outside of Atlanta where the people may not necessarily feel that the project is intended for their benefit.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Good find, fourthwarden.

I like the route proposed to operate along the current right-of-way of the Amtrak Southern Crescent because that route would serve such locations as Clemson, South Carolina and the campus of Clemson University as well as other locations like (the politically powerful Northeast Georgia city of) Gainesville, Downtown Greenville, Downtown Spartanburg, etc.

I also like that the south end of the line is proposed to be at the world-leading Atlanta Airport and that the line will connect the ATL Airport to other major transportation assets like Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport and Charlotte-Douglas International Airport on the way to connecting with the DC-Philly-NYC-Boston Northeast Corridor by way of Greensboro, Raleigh and Richmond.

Also, the decision to change the name of the proposed multimodal transportation terminal in Downtown Atlanta to the "Georgia MMPT" was likely a decision made by the Georgia Department of Transportation to generate more support from Georgia state legislators to fund the project. Calling the project "Georgia MMPT" is likely a public relations attempt from GDOT to generate support for the project from parts of the state outside of Atlanta where the people may not necessarily feel that the project is intended for their benefit.
I see no issue calling it Georgia MMPT, as it would be the most important station in the state and it is in the state capital.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:41 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Connect Atlanta to Florida first.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Connect Atlanta to Florida first.
Charlotte is closer to connecting to the DC and the NEC. While Florida would make sense from tourism, it would require a lot more funding for infrastructure that the state leaders may not be willing to fund.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:24 AM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Good find, fourthwarden.

Athens could add a lot of ridership. It will be interesting to see if they try to combine the Crescent with the Athens greenfield.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:58 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,724,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Athens could add a lot of ridership. It will be interesting to see if they try to combine the Crescent with the Athens greenfield.
I agree, I think Athens should be a stop, or connected somehow if another route is chosen.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I agree, I think Athens should be a stop, or connected somehow if another route is chosen.
I think a separate route can connect Athens. The "brain train" has had a lot of discussion and would have more stops than a high-speed-rail route should have. The route through Athens also goes out of the ways a lot and misses a lot of other critical stops.

We don't need one rail line to go everywhere. We need multiple. Heck, there is a very good chance we can have the "brain train" up long before HSR.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:38 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Good find, fourthwarden.

That's what I thought at fist, also, but it actually ranked pretty low. The Greenfield line, at 220 mph top speed, had the highest estimated ridership as well as the highest estimated annual revenue (page 54). It has a higher top speed than either the Southern Crescent or the I-85 alignments, thus giving it the shortest travel time of the whole batch (page 13). It is the second least curvy route, and is within 210,000 people of the Crecent's population within 30 miles of the stations (page 14). It's also 3rd in number of jobs within 10 miles of its stations (page 15).

Overall, it does the best, performance wise, of any of the 6 routes in the trade studies (page 19). If you look at the travel times for the route, it takes ~3:40 to get from Atlanta to Charlotte (according to Google Maps), and the Greenfield route only take 2:15 to go from end to end. I-85 is the only one that is under 3:40, and that's only by 35 min.

All of that said, Greenfield is the third most expensive route. It costs $8.5 Billion for its 220 mph version. Compared to the I-85 220 mph and 125 mph versions, which cost $15.3 Billion and $13.3 Billion respectively, it's a deal, but the Southern Crescent 110 mph option only costs $2.3 Billion.

I have a sinking feeling that some penny-pinching politicians will look at the costs, and decide to go with the option that's half as fast, to save money, sacrificing useful service for... I dunno, a few more interstate interchanges?

Quote:
I don't know how to feel about the airport connection. On one hand, it does provide a seamless, and contiguous ride for anyone needing to get to the airport from beyond the perimeter. On the other hand, it is somewhat redundant to MARTA rail service. The proposed schedules only show it taking ~6 minutes to get from the MMPT to Hartsfield-Jackson, 10 min shorter than a Red or Gold Line train.

Quote:
No doubt it was a political move. I'm just really tired of the implications that makes. Can't possibly build something good for the state, because it's got the Atlanta name on it. How dare a station bare the name of the city it's in, let alone the state capitol.

Bah.

Maybe it'll get switched back by the time it gets built (if ever).

Old 04-12-2016, 11:37 AM
bu2

24,092 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think a separate route can connect Athens. The "brain train" has had a lot of discussion and would have more stops than a high-speed-rail route should have. The route through Athens also goes out of the ways a lot and misses a lot of other critical stops.

We don't need one rail line to go everywhere. We need multiple. Heck, there is a very good chance we can have the "brain train" up long before HSR.
Gainesville is critical? Athens is not "out of the way."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta