Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:19 AM

6 posts, read 10,690 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband is being relocated to the Atlanta area. His job for the next five years will be downtown at SunTrust bank. After, he will start to travel again and will need to drive to the airport frequently. I have looked at Marietta, Suwanee, Johns Creek, and Peachtree City. I think all of them have a lot to offer, good schools, nice houses, plenty of kids, etc... I don't know commute times. I have been reading the forums and I am thinking Peachtree City is probably the best fit for us. Also...We are an "older" couple (50's) with younger children 9, 11, 18. So we will retire wherever we end up buying this time. I am also looking for a community with sports camps (soccer, basketball) for my son to help him with this transition. He will be going into the sixth grade, and he is having a hard time with the move. I would like him to meet some kids and get involved with sports prior to starting the school year. Any information is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:49 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
If he needs reasonable access to the airport/downtown, Peachtree City seems like the logical choice.

Suwanee/JC to downtown or the Airport during rush hour is an absolute nightmare.

Marietta/East Cobb would be my second choice after PC.

Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 10,690 times
Thank you, flamadiddle! It is difficult for me to understand the commute times of Atlanta without actually being there. I appreciate your help!

Old 04-28-2016, 10:24 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
PTC. North side traffic is a lot worse.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:45 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
You can't go wrong with Peachtree City. It's a very family-frendly, kid-centric community with a lot of resort / reitrement amenities as well. Kids love the bike paths / cart system too. And as others have mentioined, the commute to downtown and the airport is much less painful than northern suburbs. The schools in PTC are also excellent.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:48 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieffm View Post
Hello everyone! My husband is being relocated to the Atlanta area. His job for the next five years will be downtown at SunTrust bank. After, he will start to travel again and will need to drive to the airport frequently. I have looked at Marietta, Suwanee, Johns Creek, and Peachtree City. I think all of them have a lot to offer, good schools, nice houses, plenty of kids, etc... I don't know commute times. I have been reading the forums and I am thinking Peachtree City is probably the best fit for us. Also...We are an "older" couple (50's) with younger children 9, 11, 18. So we will retire wherever we end up buying this time. I am also looking for a community with sports camps (soccer, basketball) for my son to help him with this transition. He will be going into the sixth grade, and he is having a hard time with the move. I would like him to meet some kids and get involved with sports prior to starting the school year. Any information is appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieffm View Post
Thank you, flamadiddle! It is difficult for me to understand the commute times of Atlanta without actually being there. I appreciate your help!
If you think that Peachtree City is probably the best fit for your family then chances are it probably is, particularly with your husband commuting to (and from) SunTrust Plaza in Downtown Atlanta and needing to frequently commute to and from the airport (...Peachtree City is the closest and easiest trip to/from the Airport of all the areas you mentioned).

Peachtree City is a great suburban community (high quality-of-life, great schools, low crime) that lies in the least-congested quadrant of the Atlanta metro area by way of I-85 South which experiences fewer frequent rush hour traffic delays than the other radial freeway routes, especially the ones to and from the areas that you are considering on the Northside (Marietta and (ESPECIALLY) Johns Creek and Suwanee).

Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 PM

48 posts, read 90,979 times
Traffic is tough here regardless. You could live IN the airport and have traffic.

I like Johns Creek as a long term option, I think the northern suburbs represent a more complete picture and give you far more to do. East Cobb is a no-brainer also (not Marietta like near the Square but East Cobb as it turns into Roswell)

But PC makes the most sense for your criteria. Even though it's kinda boring in my opinion lol. Live a little.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:54 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDreams404 View Post
Traffic is tough here regardless. You could live IN the airport and have traffic.

I like Johns Creek as a long term option, I think the northern suburbs represent a more complete picture and give you far more to do. East Cobb is a no-brainer also (not Marietta like near the Square but East Cobb as it turns into Roswell)

But PC makes the most sense for your criteria. Even though it's kinda boring in my opinion lol. Live a little.
Places aren't boring -- PEOPLE are boring. And life is what you make it anywhere. You say "PTC fits your criteria" but then turn around and tell the OP she's making a mistake. This is SOUTHSIDE BIAS plain and simple. And I, for one, am growing pretty tired of it.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:41 PM

48 posts, read 90,979 times
I said it makes sense although it's boring and to not be afraid to live a little. If you're going to make a point you shouldnt have to twist people's words to make it. I didn't "turn around" and do anything.

I'm sorry living out in basically Newnan doesn't sound fun to ME. Good luck going to top golf out there or Andretti's out there. I just PERSONALLY don't see the point of moving to Atlanta if you're going to pick a neighborhood that more closely resembles Carrollton lol.

I didn't say there was NOTHING to do and that there were zero redeaming qualities about PC, I just said it was "kinda boring". And considering the sheer disparities in resources, restaurants, and entertainment, its not a stretch. Some places just have more to do. Sorry.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:00 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
If they want things to do at your door step then live in town. If you want the idealized sububan life with a realitively easy drive into town and things to do then live around PTC. If you want traffic live on the north side. :-D

(This is from a couple years ago, traffic is worse than this now. But still mostly north side.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta