Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2015, 05:58 PM

7 posts, read 17,006 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people say that Lovett and Westminster are very similar schools, but when I visited both of them for open houses and tours, they seem to be very different. I'm not from Atlanta so I have no affiliation with either school, but want to know which school really is better overall? We have a child we are applying out for kindergarten/pre-first this year and I'd like to know what others think is the better school. Anyone who can share experiences at each school would be wonderful and so helpful. Does your child love the school? Do you, as the parents, love the school? Why? What makes each the school special? Etc. Any info would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 01:04 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,144,225 times
If you do a search you will find more info than you ever wanted. They are not all that similar, just usually similarly considered as a candidate school by some parents, so they tend to fall in the same group by some.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:47 AM

403 posts, read 619,164 times
Which one did you like better when your toured? See which one you child feels more comfortable at when they do the observations...You'll get a lot of different opinions here, but not many objective ones...pragmatically not many kids get into both for pre-first/K especially with all of the legacy and sibling applications and not much empirical data on the kids.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
They are very different schools. However, when some parents apply their children to private schools, the end goal is admissions. Thus, they cast a wide net and hope that whichever acceptances they get will fit the child/work for the family.

I don't necessarily think one is better than the other, especially for elementary school, but they have different feels.

Apply to both if you liked each of them and then see what happens in terms of admissions.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:30 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolATL View Post
I hear a lot of people say that Lovett and Westminster are very similar schools, but when I visited both of them for open houses and tours, they seem to be very different. I'm not from Atlanta so I have no affiliation with either school, but want to know which school really is better overall? We have a child we are applying out for kindergarten/pre-first this year and I'd like to know what others think is the better school. Anyone who can share experiences at each school would be wonderful and so helpful. Does your child love the school? Do you, as the parents, love the school? Why? What makes each the school special? Etc. Any info would be great!
The school that is the better of the two is the one that offers your child admission.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:50 PM

5 posts, read 14,107 times
One major issue at Lovett is that in the Lower School (elem), there is a very high teacher-turnover rate and many of the teachers do not have a degree in education (not even a BA). Additionally, they hire teachers who have have little to no teaching experience.. So don't just focus on the Pre-K & K teachers and classrooms when you take the tour; observe, question, and assess the quality of the 1st thru 5th grade teachers- especially the co-teachers. Because in a very short time, your child will be in those classes. I personally am not interested in having my child taught by someone with no degree in education and no experience teaching. The high turnover is also a red flag. This year alone, Lovett has hired 20 brand new teachers (there are only 70 lower school faculty members total). That is the norm there. Many of the other teachers have only been there for a year or two- go look at the LS staff on their website.
At Pace, Paideia, Westminster, etc...the elementary school teachers are highly educated/experienced and have worked at the school for decades. These are the teachers you want building your child's educational foundation- the ones who have the passion, dedication, intelligence and desire to be great educators; they are a part of the school's fabric. At Lovett you will find a lot of 23, 24, 25 year old pretty white girls who are basically being trained to be teachers by Lovett at your child's expense.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:23 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
We chose Westminster for its academic rigor.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:19 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,897 times
Quote:
One major issue at Lovett is that in the Lower School (elem), there is a very high teacher-turnover rate and many of the teachers do not have a degree in education (not even a BA). Additionally, they hire teachers who have have little to no teaching experience.. So don't just focus on the Pre-K & K teachers and classrooms when you take the tour; observe, question, and assess the quality of the 1st thru 5th grade teachers- especially the co-teachers. Because in a very short time, your child will be in those classes. I personally am not interested in having my child taught by someone with no degree in education and no experience teaching. The high turnover is also a red flag. This year alone, Lovett has hired 20 brand new teachers (there are only 70 lower school faculty members total). That is the norm there. Many of the other teachers have only been there for a year or two- go look at the LS staff on their website.
At Pace, Paideia, Westminster, etc...the elementary school teachers are highly educated/experienced and have worked at the school for decades. These are the teachers you want building your child's educational foundation- the ones who have the passion, dedication, intelligence and desire to be great educators; they are a part of the school's fabric. At Lovett you will find a lot of 23, 24, 25 year old pretty white girls who are basically being trained to be teachers by Lovett at your child's expense.
You must feel strongly to have joined city data to make this comment.

I would suggest everyone do a lot of research for any of these schools - as $20K+ for that age is a lot of money. A lot.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:21 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

I would suggest everyone do a lot of research for any of these schools - as $20K+ for that age is a lot of money. A lot.

A-to-the-men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: