Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:35 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
When it comes to illegal immigration in the US I believe pretty much anyone that is a descendant of an European white person shouldn't say anything...
Hmmm. I suspect most of us came to the US legally through formal immigration channels. You seem to forget that the largest immigration group in the US is German, and they arrived in a couple of large waves in the 19th and early 20th centuries. My own family came here in 1832 from southern Switzerland. All very legal.

Most white Americans are not descended from colonists.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:22 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transit4lifeyo View Post
Step 1: Send those that don't have legal reasons to be here home.

Step 2: Amend the law so that simply squirting out a kid on US soil makes those babies citizens.
That call playing with the constitution

The Fourteenth Amendment

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside"

I find it interesting how conservatives want to repeal the 14 Amendment..... But quick shout about it's the Second Amendment and guns.

Slaves were not born citizens the Fourteenth Amendment grant rights to the former slaves, that those born in the US are Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverse Instantiation View Post
To be fair though,you have to draw a line at some point, else why have borders in the first place? Might as well just let anyone in.

There are people out there who are or have waited years and years or even decades just to be granted residential entry into the U.S. It's unfair to them that some people can just waltz inside the country, than be granted amnesty while they're still waiting for a chance to start a new life and opportunities here in the states.

It's easy to say things like "You're splitting up families", but how about people in sub saharan Africa who are in some cases in even worse conditions who have applied to get into the U.S. and are either waiting or have been denied(and the vast, vast majority do). It's unfair to them.

I used to be the type of person who said "Grant them all amnesty", then I started to look at it from a point of view from legal immigrants or those who have applied and understand it's unfair to them.
No body is saying they was right to come, but don't start spiting up families. there no justification for that either.

If people been living in the US for years have children and etc creates a context. And we have to have a logical way to deal with that. The Parents should be given a fine or Community service and etc. Because now they are actually tied to the US.

Illegal immigration is something that always existed in US as an issue now because of racist motivation the right want to politicize the issue. Again I'm not saying it was right for them to come but this is litteally nothing new, For Decade the Republican Party and the State of Florida has accepted that cubans who rafted to Florida are Americans. This is because The historic Republican Party military stands on Cuban. But now because the US is becoming more diverse and most illegals are Mexicans. Theiy all the sudden conscious and cold heart they don't care their splitting families...

Old 06-01-2016, 08:09 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Hmmm. I suspect most of us came to the US legally through formal immigration channels. You seem to forget that the largest immigration group in the US is German, and they arrived in a couple of large waves in the 19th and early 20th centuries. My own family came here in 1832 from southern Switzerland. All very legal.

Most white Americans are not descended from colonists.
True, but you are missing what the difference is. The process to become a legal resident of this country (let's just forget about becoming a citizen since it's much harder) unbelievably hard, convoluted, expensive, and filled with extreme uncertainty.

After the last wave of European immigration in the 1920s, the laws were changed to make it very difficult for people to immigrate here in massive numbers. With the high fees, massive piles of paperwork, and financial support requirements it has basically limited immigration to those with enough money to deal with the hassle.

I have many friends (and my own spouse) that have immigrated legally, so I'm no advocate for illegal immigration given what we've been through. But I understand why people do it. If you are poor and have no prospect for a better life in your home country, this country has always been a beacon for you. I'm sure it's what drove your ancestors here, and it is the same thing driving illegal immigrants here today. The only difference is that system is now rigged to keep them out.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:41 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
This is a little off topic but it's just such a fascinating graphic.

This shows people who have migrated here legally.

Click this link for the interactive version: Insightful Interaction

Old 06-01-2016, 11:50 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
True, but you are missing what the difference is. The process to become a legal resident of this country (let's just forget about becoming a citizen since it's much harder) unbelievably hard, convoluted, expensive, and filled with extreme uncertainty.

After the last wave of European immigration in the 1920s, the laws were changed to make it very difficult for people to immigrate here in massive numbers. With the high fees, massive piles of paperwork, and financial support requirements it has basically limited immigration to those with enough money to deal with the hassle.
I was mainly just responding to jero23's comment, but you're right that I may have missed the underlying meaning.

I also completely understand why people do it, and I wish there was a relatively smooth and seamless way to integrate good people into the country legally as citizens.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:45 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I was mainly just responding to jero23's comment, but you're right that I may have missed the underlying meaning.

I also completely understand why people do it, and I wish there was a relatively smooth and seamless way to integrate good people into the country legally as citizens.
The reality is that Mexican border runs go both ways, I read an article that the annual there net migration is negative. The majority of illegal immigrants were born here, or have been here for years. The answer to your question, is to make employers accountable and arrest business owners who employ undocumented workers. That would put an end to your illegal immigration problem, but your grocery prices will probably quadruple.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
The reality is that Mexican border runs go both ways, I read an article that the annual there net migration is negative. The majority of illegal immigrants were born here, or have been here for years. The answer to your question, is to make employers accountable and arrest business owners who employ undocumented workers. That would put an end to your illegal immigration problem, but your grocery prices will probably quadruple.

That is exactly right. Go after the people who hire illegal immigrants.

They should not only be arrested but required to do the work they are hiring others illegally to do, at the same rate of pay.

If grocery prices go up so be it. We can't have it both ways.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:41 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This is a little off topic but it's just such a fascinating graphic.

This shows people who have migrated here legally.

Click this link for the interactive version: Insightful Interaction

Wow. I knew that immigration had plummeted in the last few years, but didn't realize it was by that much.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:27 AM

341 posts, read 266,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transit4lifeyo View Post

Step 2: Amend the law so that simply squirting out a kid on US soil makes those babies citizens.
Huh?ANYBODY born in USA is a citizen regardless where your parents are from born or how they got here the mind your on usa land your birth is in america,your citizen their NEVER be a law to change this or STOP it.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:29 AM

341 posts, read 266,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like the judges here are tough.
Not surprised atlanta and georgia as whole is a conservative state its behind in times and their not used to these scary immigrants from another planet.Grow up Atlanta rest of america is moving ahead..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta