Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 12:22 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I always watch out for pedestrians. IMO way more than most Atlanta drivers BTW. I have been honked at numerous times due to waiting for people to cross the street. Due to me being solidly dependent on MARTA during my college years and almost being hit by cars on a consistent basis (was bumped a few times, luckily wasn't hurt, my spouse has also been hit cycling in GA) I always look out for pedestrians and cyclist.

However, streets I am speaking about are small streets. One that comes to mind is the intersection of Boone Blvd and W. Lake. I used that street to take my kid to school. I many times had to wait 10 minutes for 5 cars to turn left at that intersections, which in a bad traffic time caused big backups in the line.

It is not dangerous go around a left turning car to keep going straight. Pedestrians should not be crossing in front of you going straight anyway. The left turning car would be the one to hit them, not the straight going car.

Again, this is a gripe of mine due to me being from the area I am from. People always move up when they are turning left and give the cars behind them the chance to go straight on green. It is considered common courtesy while driving where I'm from and due to the attitudes in Atlanta about it and ignorance about the law, it is just my biggest gripe about driving there.
Yes, I have seen people pull this maneuver on DeKalb Ave at Whitefoord/Oakdale and have seen peds almost get hit because they are expecting a car to suddenly veer into the crosswalk. It is a dangerous move that can severely hurt someone. As for the back up, if it is a common occurrence, then use an alternative route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 01:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes, I have seen people pull this maneuver on DeKalb Ave at Whitefoord/Oakdale and have seen peds almost get hit because they are expecting a car to suddenly veer into the crosswalk. It is a dangerous move that can severely hurt someone. As for the back up, if it is a common occurrence, then use an alternative route.
How can pedestrians almost get hit by a car going straight through a green light if they are not jay walking?

I think you just don't understand what I am speaking of.

The pedestrian should be going in the same direction (toward the green) as the car and so unless they are crossing the other way (on red/don't walk) then they should not be in any danger except from either a left turning vehicle or a right turning vehicle.

ETA: Like I said, this is a regional thing IMO. I have never seen this sort of scenario (cars waiting for 5-15 minutes behind a left turning vehicle) anywhere else except in the south. I drive frequently in a lot of Midwestern cities and all of them go straight on a green light after a left turning vehicle moves up. It isn't dangerous for pedestrians who are following the cross walk signs.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:28 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
How can pedestrians almost get hit by a car going straight through a green light if they are not jay walking?

The pedestrian should be going in the same direction (toward the green) as the car and so unless they are crossing the other way (on red/don't walk) then they should not be in any danger except from either a left turning vehicle or a right turning vehicle.

ETA: Like I said, this is a regional thing IMO. I have never seen this sort of scenario (cars waiting for 5-15 minutes behind a left turning vehicle) anywhere else except in the south. I drive frequently in a lot of Midwestern cities and all of them go straight on a green light after a left turning vehicle moves up. It isn't dangerous for pedestrians who are following the cross walk signs.
The pedestrian is walking in the crosswalk with traffic, which the vehicle must use to pass (on the right) the left turning vehicle.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:49 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Good thoughts, everyone.

Quote:

Sometimes I will pull forward while waiting to turn left, but there are two practical reasons I don't always do so: (1) This can block the crosswalk, and (2) some intersections have in-lane sensors, which you can't trigger if you're in the middle of the intersection. I've been in circumstances where I've had to wait an entire cycle (even if I had pulled forward), but because the next light cycle started with a green arrow, I was then able to go.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
The pedestrian is walking in the crosswalk with traffic, which the vehicle must use to pass (on the right) the left turning vehicle.
If you are going straight and the left turning vehicle has moved up, the straight moving car, going through green, will not go into the crosswalk.

As stated, it is a regional thing. I see it everyday and no one is hit in the crosswalk going across the street with the green. If the left turning vehicle is up far enough, the car can go around without taking up any of the crosswalk.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:13 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
Quote:
It is not illegal. Most people it seems thinks that it is when it is not and this is an issue that does cause traffic hangups in Atlanta that is my biggest "irk" (other than people being on their phones at lights all the time and not moving when the light changes) 40-6-43 When Overtaking and Passing on the Right is Permitted:

See red above

There is a caveat. It is illegal to pass a car stopped at a crosswalk if a pedestrian is present.
From OCGA
LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Georgia Code Research Tool
§ 40-6-91. Right of way in crosswalks

(a) The driver of a vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching and is within one lane of the half of the roadway on which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. For the purposes of this subsection, "half of the roadway" means all traffic lanes carrying traffic in one direction of travel.

(b) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impractical for the driver to yield.

(c) Subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply under the conditions stated in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-6-92.

(d) Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

- - - -

Also, from 40-6-43, you left out this part that that requires safety if passing on the right
(b) If otherwise authorized, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
There is a caveat. It is illegal to pass a car stopped at a crosswalk if a pedestrian is present.
From OCGA
LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Georgia Code Research Tool
§ 40-6-91. Right of way in crosswalks

(a) The driver of a vehicle shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching and is within one lane of the half of the roadway on which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. For the purposes of this subsection, "half of the roadway" means all traffic lanes carrying traffic in one direction of travel.

(b) No pedestrian shall suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle which is so close that it is impractical for the driver to yield.

(c) Subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply under the conditions stated in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-6-92.

(d) Whenever any vehicle is stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

- - - -

Also, from 40-6-43, you left out this part that that requires safety if passing on the right
(b) If otherwise authorized, the driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon the right only under conditions permitting such movement in safety. Such movement shall not be made by driving off the roadway.
See comments above.

I stated it is a regional thing and something that bothers me about Atlanta and driving. I know full well people aren't going to stop/start their driving habits but it is not dangerous and occurs often in other regions of the country. It has nothing to do with people in the crosswalk either because they are going on green with the straight moving car and the car going straight will not go into the crosswalk. I see it everyday and do it everyday I am driving in those areas. I have never hit anyone at all in my car either in a crosswalk or not.

Also, I'm not going to compare/argue codes. I get enough of doing that via my work lol. But the one I did cite does say what it says and it is not negated by any other conditions except the ones mentioned in that citation. None of what you posted above is in reference to the situation I am describing.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:26 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
Quote:
Up in PA there are tons of intersections with no turn lanes and people pass after someone pulls up far enough. I've never seen anyone go into a crosswalk (or unmarked "crosswalk") to pass.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:46 AM

283 posts, read 360,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Technically the guy who didn't move up is obeying the law if its at a stop light. Its illegal to pass the stop line if you are unable to clear the intersection, thus yielding for his left turn.
Wut? This is false. In fact, they even teach you to pull up into the intersection in driver's ed. When turning left on a non-protected green, you should pull forward then make the turn when you can. This prevents all the backups people are talking about.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:54 PM

11,812 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTrickNet View Post
Wut? This is false. In fact, they even teach you to pull up into the intersection in driver's ed. When turning left on a non-protected green, you should pull forward then make the turn when you can. This prevents all the backups people are talking about.
No... it's true indeed. If an intersection has a "stop line" and is at a stop light, you CAN be given a ticket for pulling out into the middle of it by crossing the stop line before you are able to complete your turn under ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, even an unprotected left turn on green. I know because I was pulled over for this but fortunately given a warning only. The signs that you see "Do not block intersection" are only for reinforcement of an existing law:

Quote:
2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 6 - UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
ARTICLE 10 - STOPPING, STANDING, AND PARKING
PART 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 40-6-205 - Obstructing intersection

O.C.G.A. 40-6-205 (2010)
40-6-205. Obstructing intersection

No driver shall enter an intersection unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection to accommodate the vehicle he is operating without obstructing the passage of other vehicles or pedestrians, notwithstanding any traffic-control signal indication to proceed.
&

Quote:
2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 40 - MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
CHAPTER 6 - UNIFORM RULES OF THE ROAD
ARTICLE 10 - STOPPING, STANDING, AND PARKING
PART 1 - GENERAL PROVISIONS
§ 40-6-203 - Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified places; stopping or standing for collecting municipal solid waste or recovered materials

O.C.G.A. 40-6-203 (2010)
40-6-203. Stopping, standing, or parking prohibited in specified places; stopping or standing for collecting municipal solid waste or recovered materials

(a) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer or official traffic-control device, no person shall:

(1) Stop, stand, or park a vehicle:

(A) On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge of a curb of a street;

(B) On a sidewalk;

(C) Within an intersection;

ect ect..
Its illegal to stop in an intersection.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-23-2016 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta