Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times

Advertisements

well chastain park is in more of a wooded area; it's like a park in the forest (and among the mansions). i don't hang out a lot in buckhead and have never done anything but drive by it, so i can't give you a full vision of what it's like, but from what i've seen is really beautiful. take other people's opinions on chastain, i just don't know a great deal about it firsthand.

piedmont park is sort of like atlanta's central park. it was designed by the son of fredrick law olmstead who built central park. there are a lot of wide open spaces, wooded areas, historic buildings and bridges, etc. it's about 1/4 the size of central park so it's not easy to get lost in, but it's the park i've been going to since i was a little kid; i love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 09:24 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing them bring back that little course at Piedmont park. It was great if you wanted to play a few holes at lunch or slip out the office a little early.

When did they shut that down, around 1980 or so?

oh no. it's a personal pet peeve of mine when they set aside a huge section of a public park for sports. here in alpharetta we've got this beautiful park called wills park that has not one, not two, but TEN baseball fields in a public park right in the middle of the city. they see about an hour of use every couple of days, but the park is completely empty for the rest of the time. i'm okay with sports, but closing off a huge section of a public park for private sporting events is really a waste of space...

Old 07-06-2016, 09:27 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
Piedmont Park is much bigger than just the Botanical Gardens

Print the map and get out and explore!

http://www.piedmontpark.org/visit/Pi...ap%20v2012.pdf

Piedmont Park Conservancy - Park History

Old 07-06-2016, 10:35 PM

770 posts, read 603,940 times
Piedmont definitely, though I think Westside Reservoir very well may be the place in the future. I also think with the development picking up along Howell Mill, Waterworks Park could be in the upper echelon of parks with the city views they have there, if it ever happens.

Chastain doesn't really have the feel of a public park at all, feels more like a private club with all the ballparks, horses, golf course, etc. with a concert venue attached. From my experiences, a couple times, it didn't seem to be very cohesive to walking, running per se. It's pretty in parts in the trails, but it just serves a different purpose.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:36 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,822,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Which is the crown jewel of Atlanta's parks? Those are the two I hear the most about, so I figure it's one of them, but correct me if I'm wrong. I've been thinking about visiting both of them later in the year when the weather simmers down a bit, so what makes them stand out? For that matter, what other parks are there in the city that I don't hear as much about? Inquiring minds want to know.

Depends on what you want to do.

Chastain Patk to me is good just for jogging around the perimeter - 2.49 miles for each lap. It has a golf coarse, tennis courts, youth sports, nannies pushing baby carriages, and plenty of people walking dogs. The security is good when it starts to get late as I have seen. Very friendly guards riding on carts. It's calm but I would not want to have a picnic there.

Piedmont Park is larger and there's more things to do that don't require a membership. A huge plus is that are restaurants, coffee shops, bars, and just general shopping within walking distance. Also, it has a dog park. It is by far my favorite.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:39 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Piedmont Park
Grant Park
Centennial Olympic Park (owned and maintained by state of Georgia thru GWCC Authority)
Woodruff Park
Historic Fourth Ward Park

Old 07-07-2016, 11:06 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
How do you access Lullwater Park? That is, where do you park? Do you park at the parking garage on campus, or at a friend's house, perhaps? I agree that it is lovely, and a great place to meditate. It doesn't seem very accessible.

The Botanical Gardens is my only experience at Piedmont Park. I've never been to Chastain Park. Therefore, I won't vote.

Dresden Park in Brookhaven is my favorite.
Here's a link to the Yelp Lullwater Park site. Some discussion here about parking. Back in the day, there was on street parking on several streets off of Clifton at the park's front entrance. The VA visitors lot is available as well as the various Emory decks. While parking is a pain, the place is gorgeous and worth the parking hassle.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lullwater-park-atlanta

Old 07-07-2016, 11:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Here's a link to the Yelp Lullwater Park site. Some discussion here about parking. Back in the day, there was on street parking on several streets off of Clifton at the park's front entrance. The VA visitors lot is available as well as the various Emory decks. While parking is a pain, the place is gorgeous and worth the parking hassle.

Lullwater Park - 115 Photos & 59 Reviews - Parks - 1463 Clifton Rd NE - Atlanta, GA - Yelp
Lullwater can be easily accessed via 2 bus routes; 6 on Clifton Rd and 19 on Clairmont Rd
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lu...!5m1!1e2?hl=en

Old 07-07-2016, 03:37 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Lullwater Park on Emory's campus is extremely pretty with a lake, beautiful stream and the Emory president's home.
Thank you for reminding me about Lullwater Park. I have always loved that place. You would never know that you're not on the grounds of an English country house.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Sweet, looks like I'll check out Piedmont Park first.

I've actually been to Centennial Olympic Park many times, mostly before or after sporting events, or events at the World Congress Center. One disadvantage to Centennial Olympic Park is that there doesn't seem to be many trees, and, thus, there's not much shade.

I've heard of Grant Park and Woodruff Park too, come to think of it, and I'm guessing that Chastain Park is much more exclusive than the other parks. It seems to have a high profile because of different events they have there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta