Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:56 PM

116 posts, read 120,054 times

Advertisements

Consult an attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:28 PM

146 posts, read 135,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda79 View Post
The dogs are just following instinct. Truly, they don't know better. I grew up in a rural area where people routinely let dogs (of the hunting sort, at that) run loose, because how do you fence off 50 acres?? Common complaints were chasing of cows, chasing of cars, chasing of children...you get the picture. Neighbors just had to work it out. Nobody sued. Nobody called animal control. Then again, this was a small community. But then, think of your street or neighborhood as a small community. Same concept, right?

If it were me, I would first try the whole "kill them with kindness" method. It sometimes helps to establish a good relationship with your neighbors, even if deep down you think they suck as humans. Who is the most rational of the group next door? Who appears to be an authority figure? Establish rapport with that person. The older woman who first apologized seems approachable.

Second, do you milk the goats? Offer a sample of that up...maybe they'll protect the goats once they realize the benefit. : ) Do you garden? Share some of your crop. Are you good at car repairs? Offer to help out. Do the dogs appear friendly? Offer treats. Sometimes when people realize you might be actually be looking out for them, they will let their guard down and respond in kind.

If they don't, then they're just selfish, inconsiderate scumbags and must be dealt with through conventional methods. : )
Totally tried being kind, that;s why I feel like they were walking all over us. Two of my does are pregnant and I informed them of that the first time, which is REALLY why I'm freaked out about their dogs. Who are NOT friendly. If the dogs had walked up to wagging their tail I wouldn't have seen a problem, but they run straight at the goats and bark, when we confronted the dog to GET they turned on us and scared the hell out of me. I completely blame the dog owners, I have two German Sheppards and they are the sweetest that can be.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Your situation sounds intolerable. You may need to consider moving.

NO WAY...God gave me this land and I plan to live on it and God willing die on it. It'd be a FREEZER in hell before I let anyone run me off my land. I would really just like to BUY the damn house and then burn it.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:32 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,076,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK314 View Post
Totally tried being kind, that;s why I feel like they were walking all over us. Two of my does are pregnant and I informed them of that the first time, which is REALLY why I'm freaked out about their dogs. Who are NOT friendly. If the dogs had walked up to wagging their tail I wouldn't have seen a problem, but they run straight at the goats and bark, when we confronted the dog to GET they turned on us and scared the hell out of me. I completely blame the dog owners, I have two German Sheppards and they are the sweetest that can be.

Please don't hurt the dogs (as someone already said). They are innocent in this situation - the owners are at fault. Let Animal Control handle since they said they would. I totally understand and if I lived near something like this I would be afraid for my dogs or other animals, or for myself. But hurting the dogs isn't a good solution.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvers2 View Post
Consult an attorney.

I feel like I should. But I don't know if its just because of my NEW YORK paranoia. I'd much prefer a live and let live, you leave me alone and I'll do the same kind of life, that was the whole point of moving down here.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Any pit bull owner should know better than to let their dog(s) run free like that...they don't need to add to the perception of the breed and the owners of the breed. And SIX pit bulls? That should be illegal...who would rent to someone with six dogs???

Animal control told me that pit bull were considered a "Dangerous Breed", and only 3 are allowed legally per household. But they didn't enter the house and only saw two outside, but their still not supposed to run free like that. They Officer called me and said when I see all the dogs out again to take a picture if possible and call them right away, especially because we have little kids in the area.

I don't really know if the landlord KNOWS they have 6 pit bulls, but if he does then I think the responsibility lies on him.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:45 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,076,834 times
Quote:
Animal control told me that pit bull were considered a "Dangerous Breed", and only 3 are allowed legally per household. But they didn't enter the house and only saw two outside, but their still not supposed to run free like that. They Officer called me and said when I see all the dogs out again to take a picture if possible and call them right away, especially because we have little kids in the area.

I don't really know if the landlord KNOWS they have 6 pit bulls, but if he does then I think the responsibility lies on him.

Good idea.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,839,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
I dont like neighbors either. IN my experience the best way to keep unwanted trespassers off your land is to install a fence.
Exactly! OP, I am sure you have heard the saying that good fences make good neighbors.

Aside from the time that the dogs were around your goat pen, how were the renters to know exactly where their property ended and yours began? Even if they had been walking them on a leash, they not necessarily know just like you did not which is why you hired somebody to tell you.

No damage has been done yet so I don't know what you could sue for. You have been talking about how much money you have spent so invest some in a fence.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleKaye View Post
Exactly! OP, I am sure you have heard the saying that good fences make good neighbors.

Aside from the time that the dogs were around your goat pen, how were the renters to know exactly where their property ended and yours began? Even if they had been walking them on a leash, they not necessarily know just like you did not which is why you hired somebody to tell you.

No damage has been done yet so I don't know what you could sue for. You have been talking about how much money you have spent so invest some in a fence.
I had the land surveyed and there are two set of property stakes in the ground (it's a felony to remove property stakes), one set is about four feet high with hot pink banners. I thought that alone would help make the boundaries. I had a 425x651 fence installed next to the hunting trail (about 6 feet from an already existing property fence).

I don't want to sue for money, I thought I could take someone to court and have a court order to cease and desist. All the attorney's I'm finding online keep talking about how much I want, and all I want are myself, my husband and my goats safe.

I called my fence guy yesterday just o give him a heads up that I might be needing him. I thought the whole point of fences was to contain my animals alone. I guess I still got a lot of learning to do.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:32 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,839,969 times
Quote:
I had the land surveyed and there are two set of property stakes in the ground (it's a felony to remove property stakes), one set is about four feet high with hot pink banners. I thought that alone would help make the boundaries. I had a 425x651 fence installed next to the hunting trail (about 6 feet from an already existing property fence).

I don't want to sue for money, I thought I could take someone to court and have a court order to cease and desist. All the attorney's I'm finding online keep talking about how much I want, and all I want are myself, my husband and my goats safe.

I called my fence guy yesterday just o give him a heads up that I might be needing him. I thought the whole point of fences was to contain my animals alone. I guess I still got a lot of learning to do.

The felony for removing a property stake sounds ridiculous. I been in a lot of fenced in yards that I am sure had to be surveyed as well, but I have never seen a property stake remaining.

Every house I have lived in had a fenced in yard. Even when I had a townhouse, the backyard off the deck was fenced in. Depending on the type of fence you get, you can use it for privacy which is nice. Even if you only get a chain link fence, at least it would be a barrier and a clear indicator of what is yours. Fences are not just for containing your animals; that almost sounds like you are looking for a cage.

Now, if there other things that find a nuisance like the noise level you mentioned or possible drug use by the new tenants which somewhat by saying you saw a guy smoking a cigar by their back door, then call the police. It seems like the houses must be pretty close together if you could see what he was smoking. You'll make some enemies with that approach, but if it is truly justified then do it. I mean if I found my neighbor broke bad and had a meth lab in the house, I would not hesitate to call the police. I cannot imagine under what circumstance I would call if I thought they were smoking a blunt on the back porch.

Bottom line - get a fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta