Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the prospect of Atlanta becoming a megacity concern you?
Yes; the issues like traffic, congestion, lack of infrastructure, and other things bother me 23 33.82%
No; I see the benefits of gaining more amenities, brands, retail options, infill, services, and increased diversity as a plus to it all 41 60.29%
I don't know much about megacities and the issues presented to cities of that size 2 2.94%
Other 2 2.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:26 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I wonder if the Atlanta metro could ever do something like this (Twin Cities Metropolitan Council)?

http://www.metrocouncil.org/About-Us...e-Council.aspx
I would hope so. Unfortunately, metro Atlanta's municipalities operate in a very feudal manner. Very little cooperation between them. When MARTA was being built, only Fulton and DeKalb approved. The rest of metro Atlanta counties said no to the MARTA rail. It is like every place wants to be its own little bubble. It would be hard to get such a council.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 11:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I would hope so. Unfortunately, metro Atlanta's municipalities operate in a very feudal manner. Very little cooperation between them. When MARTA was being built, only Fulton and DeKalb approved. The rest of metro Atlanta counties said no to the MARTA rail. It is like every place wants to be its own little bubble. It would be hard to get such a council.
Im curious what is the racial make up of Cobb. Is it still predominately white? I ask because most areas boardering Fulton near the river seem to be black. Six Flags up to Paces Ferry seem predominately black areas, but im not too familiar with the areas north of Marietta.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:23 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Im curious what is the racial make up of Cobb. Is it still predominately white? I ask because most areas boardering Fulton near the river seem to be black. Six Flags up to Paces Ferry seem predominately black areas, but im not too familiar with the areas north of Marietta.
Races in Cobb County, Georgia:

White Non-Hispanic Alone (56.3%)
Black Non-Hispanic Alone (24.4%)
Hispanic or Latino (12.3%)
Asian alone (4.4%)
Two or more races (1.9%)

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/county/Cobb...#ixzz4GCG5Mpjz

Old 08-02-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
It's still predominantly White, but not uniformly so. Powder Springs is majority Black. Austell is too. Basically, places along U.S. 278.

I've been to Paces Ferry. It probably seems majority Black because of Cumberland Mall attracting alot of Black shoppers.

Why do you ask?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1502 View Post
It is not very likely that the State of GA will ever be able to tap in to the Tennessee River in the NW corner of GA at the TN state line because of two things:

1. The Tennessee State Legislature passed a law prohibiting the state of GA from tapping into the Tennessee River.
2. The location you are speaking of is actually Nickajack Lake which was created in the late 1930's when the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) built Nickajack Dam. The original river channel is very narrow and a further distance from the GA state line. Also, what incentive does TVA have to discharge water to a state which is not in its coverage area and a Metro area which is more than 100 miles outside of its coverage area.

I'm not trying to be the spoil sport, but what would motivate TVA to give up water which may be needed to operate their dams down river, particularly if we are in a drought situation. The key factor that has to be remembered is that TVA controls the Tennessee River, not as a drinking water source, but primarily as a power source as they provide electricity for a large area which goes from east of Knoxville into Northern Alabama to Paducah, KY.

The sentiments of the TN State Legislature are that giving water to Atlanta will only "feed the beast" and lead to further demands for water later on.

The better solution would be for GA to build reservoirs in the northern part of the state between Chattanooga and Atlanta, but I'm sure there will be environmental opposition to building them.
The state could easily argue that the land never belonged to Tennessee because of misdrawn state lines.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:57 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The state could easily argue that the land never belonged to Tennessee because of misdrawn state lines.
Like I said, that'd be a federal court order to fix. Curious though, would that mean that other states would do the same?

Should we go redrawing the states since we have better mapping and surveying technology now? I mean, that'd be a heck of an effort and undertaking.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
While you make an excellent point that transportation infrastructure is a big challenge for every fast-growing city in the U.S., Atlanta's transportation infrastructure challenges are very unique from other fast-growing areas because of the region's severely-undersized road and transit networks.

Instead of featuring a gridded network of multi-lane north-south and east-west surface roads like most of the other fast-growing metro areas you mentioned (Dallas, Houston, Miami, Denver and Salt Lake City), Atlanta features a regional road network of discombobulated winding two-lane roads supplemented by severely-undersized regional freeway and transit networks.

Atlanta is basically a region of nearly 6.5 million people with a regional transportation network that was built to serve a region of only about 2 million people (maybe 3 million).

How can a region of 6.5 million people like Atlanta be expected to properly function if and when its population reaches 10 million when it currently only features a transportation network built to handle the movements of about 2 million people?

Like others have alluded to, the Atlanta region has generally (but not always) done a very good job of getting by with a severely-undersized and wholly inadequate regional transportation network by encouraging people to live as close to where they work as possible (when possible), encouraging people and companies to telecommute at the highest rates that are humanly possible and by encouraging staggered work times (where people commute to and from work early and late so that peak-hour/rush-hour traffic is dispersed and spread out over a longer period of time and not concentrated within a few hours during morning and evening rush hours making traffic worse during those times).

But adding 4 million more people to the Atlanta region's severely-undersized current transportation network clearly would not be a recipe for long-term success...Especially from a quality-of-life standpoint as time spent sitting in traffic is time that people are not able to do other things (family, community, social, etc).
Atlanta wasn't really built right from the beginning. In some ways, Atlanta growing and becoming a major city was kind of a surprise. I think few people planned for Atlanta to be a major center of commerce. At one time, Savannah was the largest city in Georgia. And many of Atlanta's suburbs are actually older than Atlanta.

Metro Atlanta's infrastructure is not meant to handle 6 million people. However, with alot of cities basically not cooperating, it's a wonder how anything gets done. I-75 almost didn't get built in Cobb County. Basically, the region is discombobulated because it's always been like that.

And the mass transit system stinks for a region of its size. It should cover more areas. I would love to see MARTA expanded. That could alleviate some of the traffic. However, the reason more isn't being done, well, the old "it will bring in the crime" excuse is getting old.

The long, crazy commutes will do a number on one's quality of life. It is stressful. Hard work is expected from anyone. The commutes, however, do a number on a person. The average person spends the equivalent of one work day per week in traffic. And the way metro Atlanta is growing, things are only getting worse. I'm wondering what it's going to take for the region to get its act together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta