Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,002 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some guidance on choosing the best public school in the Atlanta area for my son who is on the autism spectrum (high functioning). He has done very well in a mainstreamed pre-school environment with support from his occupational therapist weekly after school. He will be going into Kindergarten next year, and we're looking to move into a good school district to support his needs. Our current district and elementary school don't seem sufficient. Where are the best elementary/middle/high schools in Atlanta for children on the spectrum? My husband and I both work in Midtown, so ideally we will move somewhere with less than a 30-40 minute commute.

Are there any good private schools in the area that are great for very high-functioning children who are still on the spectrum? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 01:14 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
It would help me to know what school you aren't sure will work so I can have a sense of where your head is right now.

I would start by having a conversation with his team -- I presume he has services other than OT, right?

What do they think an ideal K class (and beyond) looks like for him?

Hawthorne Elementary School (in DeKalb) came immediately to mind because of the feeder pattern from Coralwood. However, the school has had a fair amount of leadership turnover and sometimes people are happy with it and sometimes not.

If he is totally mainstreamed with little support, likely any elementary school that appeals to you is doable.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:47 PM

761 posts, read 907,256 times
Fayette County/ Peachtree City has excellent schools and one of the best private schools in Atlanta for Special Needs children is the Joseph Sam's School in Fayetteville, but if your son is high functioning he would probably do great in a regular school. The commute to midtown from the northern part of Fayette County is about 40 minutes.

The Joseph Sams School | Serving Children with Special Needs

I'd also look in North Fulton (Roswell, Alpharetta, John's Creek), East Cobb (Walton, Lassiter, Pope), or the City of Decatur.

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

Old 08-05-2016, 06:59 PM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
There is Tapestry Public Charter in DeKalb (Doraville). It is MS/HS. But you have to get in via the lottery.

This is their mission statement:
The mission of Tapestry Public Charter School is to offer an inclusive, individualized learning environment that is academically engaging, both for neurotypical students and those on the autism spectrum, and to create a positive school culture that empowers all students to take possession of their innate talents and become creative builders of their own future.

Among the private schools, there are a bunch of special needs schools on the northside, all of which target slightly different populations. As lastminutemom suggests, check with your service providers. The Marcus Autism Center in DeKalb is another place you might get information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta