Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 06:07 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,237,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlmike View Post
You and others are trying to paint a picture of drug sellers are such oppressed people and need so much help. You are being dishonest by doing so.

They sell drugs because they have decided to take the easy way out, after all in the black community drug dealers are glorified and treated like kings. The biggest issue in this country right now is people not taking responsibility for their OWN actions. Blame everybody else and "the system". Kids tattoo their foreheads and dress like thugs, but its somehow my fault that their application got trashed after the first interview.
I need a source on this, like, pronto because as long as I've been Black--which is since I was born--I have NEVER heard or seen this.

Are you Black???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 12:04 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,183,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I need a source on this, like, pronto because as long as I've been Black--which is since I was born--I have NEVER heard or seen this.

Are you Black???
He probably got that talking point from Fox News.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:42 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,076,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Are you Black???
I'm sure they are looked up to by some people, but not generally so. I don't really know a lot of drug dealers but I assume regular folks don't admire them. The people they could influence are kids and teens that see them flashing money and looking like they have everything they want...those are the ones I worry about. I see kids in rough neighborhoods being very vulnerable and they often come to a turning point in their lives where they can take one path or the other - and if they choose the right path they CAN improve their lives.

No, I don't believe that most people look up to or admire drug dealers, gang members, or anyone else that lives that kind of life.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:49 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,314,924 times
This conversation is why this bubba state will never legalize marijuana.

I feel like I'm in a Fox News thread with all this talk of sending drugs dealers to prison when rapist only get locked up for months.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:25 PM

244 posts, read 169,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammaster View Post
This conversation is why this bubba state will never legalize marijuana.

I feel like I'm in a Fox News thread with all this talk of sending drugs dealers to prison when rapist only get locked up for months.

OR when gang bangers get 5 years for armed robbery only to be back out on the streets to continue their same lifestyle.

Marijuana? Great, kids growing up poor today can now take great pride in the fact that getting high will soon be legal

I'm not a liberal or conservative.. I am for self reasonability.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:35 AM

482 posts, read 948,110 times
Quote:
You and others are trying to paint a picture of drug sellers are such oppressed people and need so much help. You are being dishonest by doing so.

They sell drugs because they have decided to take the easy way out, after all in the black community drug dealers are glorified and treated like kings. The biggest issue in this country right now is people not taking responsibility for their OWN actions. Blame everybody else and "the system". Kids tattoo their foreheads and dress like thugs, but its somehow my fault that their application got trashed after the first interview.
Let me stop you right here. Drug dealers come in all races and ethnicities. Drug dealing is no more glorified in black communities than it is in any other demographic. Drug dealing is a mentality/class issue not a cultural one. Shame on you. I know many more people with MD, JD, MBA, PHd, etc. behind their names than I do drug dealers. It's ignorance like this that keeps the binds of hate and ignorance in tact. SMH. Please educate yourself before spewing ignorance. We are NOT a monolith.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:38 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,876,605 times
Quote:

I have not painted drug dealers as "oppressed" nor have I shown any way that I glorify drug dealers . From that comment IMO you are being very ignorant and ridiculous in regards to the bold. I also have been black my whole life. I have known many drug dealers and I have never glorified them. I am indifferent of them for the most part, which I do believe that most black people are indifferent to them. I also know that a majority of drug dealers are poor idiots and many are on drugs themselves. Most end up in prison and it is stupid thing to do. I already stated that I feel that many deal drugs because they are lazy and it is an easy way to make money. However, as stated, when they serve time in prison and want to get out of that lifestyle, I do believe they should have the opportunity to do so.

I have painted their children as oppressed when the parents serve time for their crimes.

According to you, once a drug dealer has served time in prison, do you think they should be able to better themselves via education?

If so, how are they going to do that today without financial aid??? They have no job when they get out. They have no money. How are they supposed to take care of themselves and be responsible if they cannot get a job or an education?

And not sure what the whole tattoo thing has to do with black people "glorifying" drug dealers lol. All kinds of people have tattoos now a days (unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of tattoos either and especially not on someone's neck or face). Tattoos are not only put on a drug dealer's forehead or some black thug and plenty of non-black people "dress like thugs."

Also no one said you were at fault for anything. Quit being so defensive.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,237,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm sure they are looked up to by some people, but not generally so. I don't really know a lot of drug dealers but I assume regular folks don't admire them. The people they could influence are kids and teens that see them flashing money and looking like they have everything they want...those are the ones I worry about. I see kids in rough neighborhoods being very vulnerable and they often come to a turning point in their lives where they can take one path or the other - and if they choose the right path they CAN improve their lives.

No, I don't believe that most people look up to or admire drug dealers, gang members, or anyone else that lives that kind of life.
Right; the only place drug dealers are "glorified" and "treated like kings" is in the streets--their turf. Otherwise that statement is soooooooo off that it's just beyond ridiculous. That's what happens when you get all your information about an entire race from misportrayals and caricatures in the media.

Smh...

Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 AM

9,007 posts, read 14,121,504 times
Quote:
That's what happens when you get all your information about an entire race from misportrayals and caricatures in the media
Or from hip hop records.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:26 AM

283 posts, read 377,154 times
Quote:
Marijuana? Great, kids growing up poor today can now take great pride in the fact that getting high will soon be legal
As opposed to people spending years in prison for having a small amount of weed on their person or in their car. You'd figure marijuana can be legalized and regulated in the same manner as alcohol and tobacco, but I guess some folks just don't want that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta