Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 07:56 AM

343 posts, read 686,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
There are 40+ skyscrapers being built in our urban core. We just got two new stadiums. Our inner city rents and home prices are skyrocketing. Neighborhoods in and around midtown/downtown are so hot homes stay on the market for days if not hours. Millennials and young professionals are flocking to Atlanta, and companies are relocating there. We have new food halls, a beltline similar to NYC Highline, and Bon appetit magazine just named an Atlanta restaurant the best new restaurant in America. Where on God's green earth are you getting your ideas about Atlanta becoming undesirable?
Thank You, I was hoping Atlanta's downtown is increasing appeal again. I had my eye on Atlanta to move there at one point, 10 plus years ago, but I wanted city not suburbs and the main city, around where the Olympic area, was not the place to live when I was looking.
Maybe I should've bought then, if it's skyrocketed

Last edited by chrharris; 08-31-2016 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Word correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 08:13 AM

Default New York in warm weather?????

So, if I said I was looking for NYC in warm weather and being that, from you comments, Atlanta's urban area is growing, what zip code should I search to live? And I don't want to have to own a car?

Old 08-31-2016, 08:14 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Some people on this thread are rude. The op had a legitimate question. THey heard some misinformation and wanted to get clarification. Instead of being a jerk one should just answer the question or not respond at all especially with off topic nonsense about what another state is doing.
A "legitimate question" with an extremely flawed premise. Anyone with a working set of eyeballs should know that such a statement was patently untrue from the get-go. And yes, to use a phrase like 'tanking appeal' in your thread title is aggressively negative and you should expect pushback.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:27 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,181,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A "legitimate question" with an extremely flawed premise. Anyone with a working set of eyeballs should know that such a statement was patently untrue from the get-go. And yes, to use a phrase like 'tanking appeal' in your thread title is aggressively negative and you should expect pushback.
Their post wasn't negative or aggressive at all. Some of the responses on the other hand were. Instead of getting defensive the proper response would have been to educate the op as others did without being negative.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,307,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
Your are correct, I should have finished it with a question mark. My apologies. I was taught punctuations are important and I forgot it.
Even with a question mark it's making a statement. It says Atlanta is tanking, and asks why.

Atlanta is obviously not tanking. ON the contrary, it is experiencing the biggest boom that has happened in any of our lifetimes. What has led you to believe it is losing appeal

Old 08-31-2016, 08:44 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
For you guys that live there, is this the case?
No, that's not the case at all.

The city proper has been resurgent for the last 30 years or so and it is considered highly desirable. Intown areas like Midtown, Buckhead and the Beltline are bursting with new development.

We're blessed to have tons of beautiful suburban areas and they are also terrific places to live. There's traffic but it's no different from any other big city.

Unlike many areas, the city of Atlanta has a large heavy rail transit system. So if you're the type who likes to commute into the central city you can simply opt to live near a station. In addition, we have a number of other huge employment centers so it's just as easy to live in the suburbs if that's your preference.

I'd say come on in, the water's fine.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,913,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Well of course two-three years ago it was true. Atlanta was one of the worst hit by the recession and one of the slowest to come out of it. The two centrally located school districts (APS, DCSS) in the area had their superintendents indicted. One of those districts and one other (Clayton) in the central area were under probation. County commissioners from two of the 5 core counties (DeKalb, Gwinnett) were convicted and thrown in jail. The whole metro area was not viewed as a good place to go to at that time.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:59 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,322,696 times
Quote:
Thank You, I was hoping Atlanta's downtown is increasing appeal again. I had my eye on Atlanta to move there at one point, 10 plus years ago, but I wanted city not suburbs and the main city, around where the Olympic area, was not the place to live when I was looking.
Maybe I should've bought then, if it's skyrocketed
It has changed greatly in 10 years. It is gentrifying very, very quickly. Visit and look around midtown, buckhead, Virginia Highland, inman park, morningside, Lenox, grant park, Kirkwood or Decatur. All of these offer what you're looking for, but prices have risen so much the entry point is at least half a million in many of these neighborhoods, and some are closer to a million.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No, that's not the case at all.

The city proper has been resurgent for the last 30 years or so and it is considered highly desirable. Intown areas like Midtown, Buckhead and the Beltline are bursting with new development.

We're blessed to have tons of beautiful suburban areas and they are also terrific places to live. There's traffic but it's no different from any other big city.

Unlike many areas, the city of Atlanta has a large heavy rail transit system. So if you're the type who likes to commute into the central city you can simply opt to live near a station. In addition, we have a number of other huge employment centers so it's just as easy to live in the suburbs if that's your preference.

I'd say come on in, the water's fine.

Thank You, so if I were to say I don't want to commute to downtown, I want to chuck the car and only need transit to get out, not in, and live in the middle of everything, what zip code would that be in Atlanta?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:33 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
Thank You, so if I were to say I don't want to commute to downtown, I want to chuck the car and only need transit to get out, not in, and live in the middle of everything, what zip code would that be in Atlanta?
I haven't looked up the zip codes but I'd say you probably want Perimeter, Midtown, Buckhead or Decatur. If you don't mind taking the bus you'd could also consider Virginia Highland, Grant park, East Atlanta, somewhere on the Beltline or what they are now calling "west Midtown."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta