Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 AM

10,063 posts, read 14,434,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Having grown up in NJ and lived there until last summer, I couldn't agree more. I really didn't see it when I first got here, but the more time I spend here, the more I see it. Downtown and midtown are around the same size, density and traffic scale as Newark and Jersey City- they don't even come close to Manhattan. Then you've got small commercial hubs like Galleria, Pill Hill, etc., that are similar to small office park areas like Bedminster and Parsippany. The in-town neighborhoods remind me alot of some of the central NJ towns like Westfield, Scotch Plains, and even Woodbridge. You've got the rougher areas like SWAT that are similar to New Brunswick or Elizabeth, and then you've got the semi-rural counties like Cherokee and Forsyth that are extremely similar to what places like Hunterdon County were 10-15 years ago, or Sussex County is now. It's almost scary.

To compare Atlanta to Manhattan in virtually any way is pretty laughable.
Right! Good points. I really don't think any city other than Chicago, can compare itself to NYC. Even then, Chicago pales in comparison. NYC can be compared to London, Shanghai, Tokyo, etc. Atlanta is more on par with Dallas, Phoenix, Columbus, and even Nashville for comparison's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 AM

8 posts, read 54,279 times
I agree that the feeble attempts to compare Atlanta to other cities only detract from our city's reputation. Atlanta is its own place, and a unique one. While I really enjoy traveling to New York and Miami, I love having Atlanta as my home base. I agree with South-to-West that the city itself has a lot to offer--great museums, entertainment, colleges/universities, and shopping, good career opportunities, and a reasonable cost of living. I feel as though the ever-expanding suburbs are too often mistaken for the Atlanta proper, which makes Atlanta seem less cosmopolitan than it really is.

E.A.
AroundMidtown.com

Old 02-24-2008, 09:59 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
Water and tourism aren't the only qualities I think of when I think of a cosmopolitan city.

In terms of the Southern United States, then sure it's cosmopolitan. What else do we have in the south? Jacksonville? Nashville? Birmingham?

Yes, Atlanta houses many business meetings and conventions - which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Having worked for CCNA when I first moved here, I thought it was funny to hear the out-of-town business travelers gripe about how much they disliked coming to Atlanta for meetings... it was kind of like a "get in, get out" thing. Again, just my personal experience. And if it's such a HUGE business and transportation hub - BUILD ANOTHER AIRPORT. The business travelers really hurt the "common" vacation travelers in the sense that they (businessmen/women) are going to pay whatever airfare it takes to get here. Couple that with the Delta 'stronghold' and you've got quite the debacle if you want to travel for leisure. I think flying in and out of ATL for personal recreation is incredibly expensive.

Yes, Atlanta has a unique music scene. Yes, the music has an international scope. I was in Greece and Spain long enough to hear nearly every American rap song mixed with some house/techno/trance beat. Again my personal opinion is it would be a stretch to think Europeans, Japanese, etc are listening to this music and associating it with the city of Atlanta itself rather than just "American music". I'm pretty sure Americans associate Luda with ATL... but I doubt that's happening elsewhere outside North America.

The immigrants from Asia, Mexico, Caribbean, Latin America are moving here largely because they've heard about the lower taxes and cheaper real estate. Which is all well and great... but Buford Highway doesn't exactly translate into unique cultural places like the Chinatowns of NYC, SF, Vancouver, and so forth with other nationalities. I had a better cultural education at a Korean BBQ and Karaoke Bar in Gainesville, FL than I did on Buford Hwy. Do these other nationalities have festivals or celebrations here in Atlanta? Or anything that would serve to educate others about their own culture? I'm asking that as an honest question... The only thing I've seen that isn't a celebration of African Americans or the white American South is Marietta's little Greek festival... but perhaps I'm not checking "Opening Day Atlanta's" website enough.

I'm not trying to say Atlanta essentially SUCKS. Many have told me it's a great place to work, raise children, and afford a home. But as an outsider looking in... I just would say Atlanta has a long, long way to go to be considered a truly sophisticated, cosmopolitan, "worldly" city. Right now, I'd probably compare Atlanta to a city like Houston or maybe Dallas, though I think Houston is a better parallel.

Maybe years down the road when walkability, expansive public transportation, a real downtown, and other factors materialize... but right now? No, not really. That notion is a bit grandiose.

Last edited by mg83; 02-24-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundmidtown View Post
I feel as though the ever-expanding suburbs are too often mistaken for the Atlanta proper, which makes Atlanta seem less cosmopolitan than it really is.

E.A.
AroundMidtown.com
If you want Atlanta proper, the City of Atlanta, to be "separate" from the burbs, then I'd really hope Atlanta gets a handle on the crime inside the city limits. The burbs are really the only reason Atlanta doesn't get a nod as "MoSt DaNgeRoUs MSA!!11"... for what it's worth.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:23 AM

422 posts, read 758,651 times
I think Atlanta is fairly cosmopolitan. It's no New York or Chicago, but I think it blows away most of America's second tier cities like Houston, Detroit, Dallas, etc. in this respect.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Water and tourism aren't the only qualities I think of when I think of a cosmopolitan city.

In terms of the Southern United States, then sure it's cosmopolitan. What else do we have in the south? Jacksonville? Nashville? Birmingham?

Yes, Atlanta houses many business meetings and conventions - which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Having worked for CCNA when I first moved here, I thought it was funny to hear the out-of-town business travelers gripe about how much they disliked coming to Atlanta for meetings... it was kind of like a "get in, get out" thing. Again, just my personal experience. And if it's such a HUGE business and transportation hub - BUILD ANOTHER AIRPORT. The business travelers really hurt the "common" vacation travelers in the sense that they (businessmen/women) are going to pay whatever airfare it takes to get here. Couple that with the Delta 'stronghold' and you've got quite the debacle if you want to travel for leisure. I think flying in and out of ATL for personal recreation is incredibly expensive.

Yes, Atlanta has a unique music scene. Yes, the music has an international scope. I was in Greece and Spain long enough to hear nearly every American rap song mixed with some house/techno/trance beat. Again my personal opinion is it would be a stretch to think Europeans, Japanese, etc are listening to this music and associating it with the city of Atlanta itself rather than just "American music". I'm pretty sure Americans associate Luda with ATL... but I doubt that's happening elsewhere outside North America.

The immigrants from Asia, Mexico, Caribbean, Latin America are moving here largely because they've heard about the lower taxes and cheaper real estate. Which is all well and great... but Buford Highway doesn't exactly translate into unique cultural places like the Chinatowns of NYC, SF, Vancouver, and so forth with other nationalities. I had a better cultural education at a Korean BBQ and Karaoke Bar in Gainesville, FL than I did on Buford Hwy. Do these other nationalities have festivals or celebrations here in Atlanta? Or anything that would serve to educate others about their own culture? I'm asking that as an honest question... The only thing I've seen that isn't a celebration of African Americans or the white American South is Marietta's little Greek festival... but perhaps I'm not checking "Opening Day Atlanta's" website enough.

I'm not trying to say Atlanta essentially SUCKS. Many have told me it's a great place to work, raise children, and afford a home. But as an outsider looking in... I just would say Atlanta has a long, long way to go to be considered a truly sophisticated, cosmopolitan, "worldly" city. Right now, I'd probably compare Atlanta to a city like Houston or maybe Dallas, though I think Houston is a better parallel.

Maybe years down the road when walkability, expansive public transportation, a real downtown, and other factors materialize... but right now? No, not really. That notion is a bit grandiose.
Nobody is trying to put it on the same level as NYC, LA, London, or Paris; but Atlanta is a very cosmopolitan city and one of the more cosmopolitan cities in the US. Also on a side note, you can find a lot of Korean BBQ places along the Buford Highway.

As far as festivals, there is a huge Carribean festival Downtown on Memorial Day weekend, as well as another large Latin American festival.

In regards to walkability, Atlanta is becoming increasingly more walkable. The neighborhood that I live in is very walkable, as are the surrounding neighborhoods. However, I can see how your perception is very different since you live in Vinings and commute to Alpharetta.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Aside from neighborhoods like VaHi and Decatur... I mean what else is REALLY walkable? Meaning, you technically wouldn't even need a car... there just aren't many in Atlanta. It's not how the city was designed or how the city has been shaped in the last 2-3 decades.

I don't commute to Alpharetta anymore. At my current job, I'd never be able to live anywhere south of maybe Buckhead... the daily commute would just make me an incredibly stressed out and angry person, thus living where I am now isn't TOO bad. That's the way it works here.

Yes, I've been to the Korean bbq places on Buford Hwy, what I said before still stands. If Buford Hwy is really all Atlanta has to show in terms of culture outside "Southern" and "African American"... well, again, it has a long way to go.

I feel like there are a few tiers of cosmopolitan US cities, NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, DC and LA. Second tier I'd include places like Boston, Seattle, Miami, San Diego, maybe Minneapolis. Third I'd put cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc. I don't know exactly where to put Philadelphia..

Again, my own opinion. But I'm sure a lot of people (outside Atlanta) would tend to agree...

Old 02-24-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Aside from neighborhoods like VaHi and Decatur... I mean what else is REALLY walkable? Meaning, you technically wouldn't even need a car... there just aren't many in Atlanta. It's not how the city was designed or how the city has been shaped in the last 2-3 decades.

I don't commute to Alpharetta anymore. At my current job, I'd never be able to live anywhere south of maybe Buckhead... the daily commute would just make me an incredibly stressed out and angry person, thus living where I am now isn't TOO bad. That's the way it works here.

Yes, I've been to the Korean bbq places on Buford Hwy, what I said before still stands. If Buford Hwy is really all Atlanta has to show in terms of culture outside "Southern" and "African American"... well, again, it has a long way to go.

I feel like there are a few tiers of cosmopolitan US cities, NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, DC and LA. Second tier I'd include places like Boston, Seattle, Miami, San Diego, maybe Minneapolis. Third I'd put cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix, etc. I don't know exactly where to put Philadelphia..

Again, my own opinion. But I'm sure a lot of people (outside Atlanta) would tend to agree...
I wouldn't call San Diego or Miami walkable either. Inman Park, Lake Claire, Decatur, Candler Park, Morningside, Cabbagetown, and Midtown are all very walkable neighborhoods. True, living without a car would be difficult in Atlanta, but no more difficult than in Miami or San Diego. I walk all of the time from my apartment to everywhere around here.

As far as other Immigrant communities in Atlanta, there are plenty such as Lawrenceville Highway/Scott Boulevard (South Asian), Clarkston (Ethiopian/Somali), parts of Stone Mountain (West Indian), parts of East Cobb (Brazilian), Windy Hill Road (Mexican), Roswell Road (Iranian/Persian). Also, immigrants have settled in a lot of different areas of Metro Atlanta.

As far as tiers, there's no way that Seattle, Miami, or San Diego would be on a higher tier than Atlanta. If we're talking about aesthetics then that's one thing, but as far as cosmopolitanism, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta are very cosmopolitan cities with a diverse population, strong business climate, major transportation hubs, and institutions of higher learning. Also Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta round out the 10 largest metros in the US and are second tier cities in the US.

I think your arguments reflect why you personally don't like Atlanta rather than an objective analysis on how cosmopolitan the city is.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Black Americans come here to visit the MLK sites and a few other sites or events. The convention attendees do not count as that's business. So correct - with the exception of one group of people, no, for the most part Atlanta is not a " vacation destination".
Well the Florida beaches aren't truly a vacation destination since the only group of people to go are whites who want to get a tan, while us people of color really don't see the need to go.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:05 PM

136 posts, read 460,812 times
When I think of cosmopolitan cities, I think of a unique culture and heritage. A vibe where you can walk or travel anywhere in the area and realize that you are distinctly in THAT particular city. Places like Boston, New York, San Francisco, and to a lesser extent Washington DC (inside the diamond). All cities, even the ones listed above, have their regualr generic suburbs but maintain a distinct uniqueness in the urbanized areas. It's a situation where if i was suddenly dropped off without knowing where i was, I could immediatly recognize the city, by not only landmarks but distinct cultural traits. Atlanta, I feel, kind of lacks this quality. The overall vastness of its suburbia, and lack of a central urban core as a 24 hour focal point make it so. Atlanta is to spread out to accomplish "cosmopolitan" but it is a decent city nontheless. However sometimes I do feel like Meg83 as some aspects of living this city get on my nerves
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta