Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 08:00 AM

55 posts, read 69,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
One of my older maps with the South Fulton line in place along with Gwinnett.
Most believable map I've seen so far....Cobb needs it I work at the suntrust park complex and 2018 it's gonna be crazy and a traffic nightmare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
One of my older maps with the South Fulton line in place along with Gwinnett.
Are you going to include any of the new infill stations?

Old 11-15-2016, 08:39 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Are you going to include any of the new infill stations?
I need to remake these maps to display the CoA extensions as well, so yeah, eventually.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Fulton County Commission Chairman John Eaves says there could be a vote as early as next year for more transit projects which would cover the parts of Fulton that aren’t in the City of Atlanta. He said he sees the makings of a “true regional transit” system.

“We’re poised to take the baton of what the city has done by taking rail, MARTA transit expansion further throughout the county,” said Eaves, also speaking at the UPS announcement last week. That could include rail out to Fulton Industrial Boulevard in the west, and other expansions leading to Gwinnett and Cobb counties.
After Atlanta votes for more MARTA, neighbors may follow

Old 11-15-2016, 09:57 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,790 times
I like your correction at the end of the article

Exciting times for transit in Atlanta and hopefully the metro. Here's hoping that Trump continues to back down from his bombastic statements and moderates to support transit. I get the feeling the Rs are going to start feeling the pressure from the bidness community to stop blocking transit at every turn. But I'm an optimist...

Old 11-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
“We’re poised to take the baton of what the city has done by taking rail, MARTA transit expansion further throughout the county,” said Eaves, also speaking at the UPS announcement last week. That could include rail out to Fulton Industrial Boulevard in the west, and other expansions leading to Gwinnett and Cobb counties.

It’s a bit early for details on what mix of buses, light rail or heavy rail might show up on a Fulton ballot. But among the mayors of Fulton County cities north and south, Eaves said, “there’s general consensus of the need of something.”
Of course, that's Maggie Lee's interpretation, but it's something.

Let's see some of the options coming off the top of my head...
  • Connect 400 Red Line Extension Heavy Rail - 9 miles @ $2.2 Billion
    Blue Line Extension to Fulton Industrial Blvd. Heavy Rail - 3 miles @ $0.900 Billion
    Arts Center to Cumberland New Heavy Rail - 9 miles @ $2.5 Billion
    East Point to Palmetto Commuter rail - 18.5 miles @ $0.463 Billion
These are some rather big ticket items, and I don't know how much Fulton can afford on its own without Atlanta.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:43 PM

It appears Robbie Ashe is a busy man since the Atlanta MARTA sales tax.
Quote:
Prior to Thurmond’s remarks, Robert L. Ashe III, Chairman of the MARTA Board of Directors, teed up the issue of future transit expansion in DeKalb County. MARTA is proposing two major projects in DeKalb: A high-capacity corridor along I-20 East from downtown Atlanta to Stonecrest Mall and a light-rail line connecting the Lindbergh Center MARTA station to the Emory/CDC area and Avondale station in Decatur.
Atlanta voters last week overwhelmingly approved a ballot referendum to increase sales taxes to expand MARTA within the city limits, which is expected to raise about $2.5 billion over the next 40 years. Although the DeKalb County Commission had earlier decided against seeking additional MARTA funding for the 2016 election cycle, Ashe said it’s not the end of the line.
“My intention and my hope is to come back to DeKalb County and ask for a half-penny referendum for MARTA,” Ashe told the crowd. “We remain committed to expanding MARTA in DeKalb.”
CEO-Elect Michael Thurmond offers "new vision" for DeKalb County - SaportaReport

Old 11-15-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It appears Robbie Ashe is a busy man since the Atlanta MARTA sales tax.

CEO-Elect Michael Thurmond offers "new vision" for DeKalb County - SaportaReport
Quote:
Thurmond didn’t respond directly to Ashe’s comments about additional sales taxes for MARTA’s expansion. Thurmond, however, praised DeKalb’s leaders and voters for their prescient decision to invest in mass transit more than 40 years ago while, in the same breath, chided them for not doing more to expand MARTA’s footprint over the last two decades.

“How much (MARTA) expansion has occurred in the last 20 years?” Thurmond asked rhetorically. “Not one inch. During that time period I submit to you that we could have built out both lines at half the cost.”
There's positioning taking place, and I think it's very likely we could see both Fulton and DeKalb votes pushed come the 2017 legislative season.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
I thought that we didn't want it on the non-election year (not even a mid-term year) ballot, because the only people that bother to vote are old crotchety types.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:55 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I thought that we didn't want it on the non-election year (not even a mid-term year) ballot, because the only people that bother to vote are old crotchety types.
Yeah, I thought timing the vote like this was a bad idea. I'd rather wait a year and make it happen, especially considering what the turnout will likely be for midterms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta