Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 05:35 PM

561 posts, read 781,322 times

Advertisements

I live near this area and there are plenty of joggers every morning (men and women). It's a major city, so certain crimes may happen, but it's not a war zone or anything. If you watch your surroundings as every person should do, you will likely be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 08:13 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
What is her bias against gentrified areas?
Nothing. She prefers them. She would just rather get in before the gentrification occurs so she gets instant equity. Can't blame her, though I am less willing to take risks in transitional neighborhoods

Old 11-23-2016, 08:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Nothing. She prefers them. She would just rather get in before the gentrification occurs so she gets instant equity. Can't blame her, though I am less willing to take risks in transitional neighborhoods
There is no guarantee that these transitional areas will flip. Look at Capital View and Capital View Manor.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:14 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is no guarantee that these transitional areas will flip. Look at Capital View and Capital View Manor.
That is true, you never can tell. We know some folks who moved to Capitol View Manor and Sylvan Hills back in the late 80s when many thought they would be the next Virginia Highland. They sure look the same from the street.

However, they didn't catch fire in the same way.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:30 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,424 times
I've lived in Grant Park closer to the park for about 6 years, and am in the process of moving a bit westward now (although still in Grant Park). I would highly recommend it. Just 6 years ago, people would say "for safety" to stay east of Hill St (I wouldn't necessarily have agreed, but that follows the lines of what others have brought up - perception of safety vs reality), but that has changed as Grant Park has become pretty expensive and more people have started to buy homes and renovate on the outskirts of the neighborhood, moving into Peoplestown and Summerhill. For me, if I was buying west of Hill St, I would look in the area north of Atlanta Ave - south of Atlanta and west of Hill can still be a little dicey in areas - definitely more block by block. Generally speaking, the closer to Grant Park (starts at Hill St), the more expensive, the closer to Hank Aaron, the cheaper it gets. In her price range, she can easily afford the majority of homes for sale in this area, both in Grant Park and further west towards Turner Field. As others have said, I would imagine the area is going to rapidly develop when the GSU/Carter project starts at Turner Field. The abandoned buildings along Georgia are already under contract, which will be great for starting to get some retail/restaurant in that area.

In terms of jogging, I'd say more than likely she'll feel safe along all of Georgia Ave. For Atlanta Ave, my perception of safety is better the closer you get to Grant Park - I would probably feel more uneasy walking after dark on Atlanta Ave past, roughly speaking, Martin St. But again, that's all very personal, she will have to check the area out for herself. Feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to share my experiences in the area.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:31 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That is true, you never can tell. We know some folks who moved to Capitol View Manor and Sylvan Hills back in the late 80s when many thought they would be the next Virginia Highland. They sure look the same from the street.

However, they didn't catch fire in the same way.
If there is a recession, up-and-coming areas tend to get hit harder than gentrified areas, but a lot of money will be going in around Turner Field to the west (even if there is a recession) and there is Grant Park to the east, so there is a lot more to support "west Grant Park" weathering a storm than other up-and-coming areas. That said, if "west Grant Park" values rise it will only help the increase the values of gentrified areas of Grant Park even more--So, if she likes Grant Park on the Park, and can afford Grant Park on the Park...

Old 11-30-2016, 07:33 AM

14 posts, read 9,794 times
I would absolutely buy in Peoplestown. There's much going to happen with the Turner field turnover.

As to safety, I would suggest to maybe airbnb for the first month in Peoplestown, to get a feel for the neighborhood, as first impression can be different from the feeling after a month.

Also, maybe get a big dog or find a neighbor, who has a big dog and would allow her to take him/her out on a regular basis. I have a big dog and the feeling of security I have is something I can't really put into words. I walk through the middle of unlit Grant Park at 6am and I feel safe, having him by my side. He would immediately show me if someone else was close. I would not do the same alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta