Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 06:30 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,855,866 times

Advertisements

Along Chappell Road from Hollowell (Bankhead) to around Boone (Simpson), there are large swaths of incredibly dilapidated apartment buildings and homes. I thought they were abandoned until I saw that people lived in small sections of them. It's probably the worst I've seen in Atlanta in recent times.

What do you see happening to these areas in the foreseeable future?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7667...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7640...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7652...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by equinox63; 12-11-2016 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 06:45 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,279,120 times
Gentrification, eventually, maybe. But it will take a few decades. The Beltline and MARTA rehabilitation and such will be a part of that. First, English Avenue will start to change, just because of its in-town location. Then Bankhead, then Grove Park.

Or, maybe that whole strip won't change and it will always be the 'hood.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:52 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,837,963 times
The two Atlantas.

One of them is getting $6.5 billion in streetcars and billions more in corporate welfare for high performance computing centers, retractable roof football stadiums and $6,000 a month apartment towers.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:54 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,323,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The two Atlantas.

One of them is getting $6.5 billion in streetcars and billions more in corporate welfare for high performance computing centers, retractable roof football stadiums and $6,000 a month apartment towers.
Yeah, because one of them is where people actually want to live and won't be shot by a thug.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:13 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,753,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Yeah, because one of them is where people actually want to live and won't be shot by a thug.
Bankhead isn't dangerous. If you think Bankhead is dangerous I'd hope you never step foot in East Cleveland or South Chicago, or parts of New Jersey.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Bankhead isn't dangerous. If you think Bankhead is dangerous I'd hope you never step foot in East Cleveland or South Chicago, or parts of New Jersey.
I used to live in New York and lived in New Jersey for a year during a job transfer. I didn't step foot in certain parts of NJ - Paterson, parts of Newark were horrible. I also think Bank head is dangerous. Unsure of your point? There are dangerous areas everywhere.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Truth be told, people thought the same thing about O4W, Kirkwood, East Lake, Summerhill, etc. some years ago... Techwood Homes is now Atlantic Station. Do you remember what was there before White Provisions? Or the Edgewood Shopping Center, or the Eastside Trail?

It wasn't pretty...

Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Gentrification, eventually, maybe. But it will take a few decades. The Beltline and MARTA rehabilitation and such will be a part of that. First, English Avenue will start to change, just because of its in-town location. Then Bankhead, then Grove Park.

Or, maybe that whole strip won't change and it will always be the 'hood.
You think acres and acres of empty, boarded up apartment complexes will just sit there forever? All it takes is a millionaire/billionaire to buy them all up and make them something desirable. After all, this area is literally a stone's throw from the Bellwood Quarry.

Bellwood Quarry Will Eventually Be Atlanta

Old 12-11-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
You think acres and acres of empty, boarded up apartment complexes will just sit there forever? All it takes is a millionaire/billionaire to buy them all up and make them something desirable. After all, this area is literally a stone's throw from the Bellwood Quarry.

Bellwood Quarry Will Eventually Be Atlanta
If they ever do this it will be beautiful, but people won't feel comfortable going to it unless they gentrify those neighborhoods quite a bit.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:08 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,700,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The two Atlantas.

These streets, specifically, are .33 to .5 miles from the BeltLine Light Rail. They are .6 miles away from Bankhead, and thus the Crosstown Midtown Streetcar / Light Rail Line. They are .3 miles from a planned frequent bus route. That's from this past MARTA referendum.

From the Atlanta TSPLOST, North Ave is set to get a Greenway makeover with traffic calming, green stormwater infrastructure, street trees, wayfinding, and bicycle infrastructure. Chappell Rd itself is set to get resurfacing, sidewalk installation and repair, street trees, granite curbing, ADA compliant crosswalks and ramps, and lighting. Oh, also the BeltLine right of way is quite close by.

From the Renew Atlanta bonds, Joseph E. Boone is getting complete street improvements including milling, repaving, and restriping to include bicycle lanes as well as sidewalk and pedestrian safety improvements.

Then there's the Proctor Creek Greenway, and the Westside Reservoir projects, which are rather massive undertakings of their own, and are within a mile from the area.

Therefore...

This area IS getting part of that massive transportation investment. It IS getting streetcars and light rail in the area, as well as a decent pile of other projects.

This IS the part of Atlanta getting that 'corporate welfare', as you love to frame it. Funny, it doesn't much look like a high-performance computing center, nor $6000 a month apartment tower part of town, though I don't see why those parts shouldn't ALSO get some high-capacity transit funding.

Who knows, though, maybe with everything planned, it might be a dense, vibrant, and urban neighborhood again, rather than the blight it mostly is right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta