Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:14 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
If they ever do this it will be beautiful, but people won't feel comfortable going to it unless they gentrify those neighborhoods quite a bit.
As someone who's been in the areas, I would feel just fine going to the park. I would be just fine taking the train to Bankhead and walking in.

Development will come, and hopefully we will have figured out a way to not kick out our poor population. I would hate for them to miss how amazing their city is becoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 12:20 AM

770 posts, read 603,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
If they ever do this it will be beautiful, but people won't feel comfortable going to it unless they gentrify those neighborhoods quite a bit.
The fact is as soon as they start construction of Bellwood or even just before, gentrification will be full on.

Look at Memorial Dr for an example and for the largest park in the city, it is going to happen fast.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:49 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Thanks for posting that fourthwarden, that side of town is definitely getting some serious infrastructure investments. This is the most interesting part of the Beltline IMO. What will be the market reaction to this level of investment in some not so great neighborhoods?

Old 12-12-2016, 12:00 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Along Chappell Road from Hollowell (Bankhead) to around Boone (Simpson), there are large swaths of incredibly dilapidated apartment buildings and homes. I thought they were abandoned until I saw that people lived in small sections of them. It's probably the worst I've seen in Atlanta in recent times.

What do you see happening to these areas in the foreseeable future?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7667...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7640...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7652...8i6656!6m1!1e1
No, its the Westside. Nothing will happen there. Not close enough to Marta. Its a black neighborhood.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Along Chappell Road from Hollowell (Bankhead) to around Boone (Simpson), there are large swaths of incredibly dilapidated apartment buildings and homes. I thought they were abandoned until I saw that people lived in small sections of them. It's probably the worst I've seen in Atlanta in recent times.
Are you trolling us? You picked one of our random trap house streets on the westside and ask this question. Its the westside. Most of the side streets between Cascade and Marietta Blvd look like this and that is a very big area of ghetto after ghetto after ghetto. Im not sure if serious here. We all know the Westside will be the last of the last in Atlanta.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Techwood Homes is now Atlantic Station.
????

Techwood Homes | New Georgia Encyclopedia

Are you sure man?

Old 12-12-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Thanks for posting that fourthwarden, that side of town is definitely getting some serious infrastructure investments. This is the most interesting part of the Beltline IMO. What will be the market reaction to this level of investment in some not so great neighborhoods?

I am, perhaps, getting a bit iritated at seeing certain arguments come up over and over and over without any sign of movement despite so much counter arguments (though I know such could be said towards myself).

Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
This IS the part of Atlanta getting that 'corporate welfare', as you love to frame it. Funny, it doesn't much look like a high-performance computing center, nor $6000 a month apartment tower part of town, though I don't see why those parts shouldn't ALSO get some high-capacity transit funding.

Who knows, though, maybe with everything planned, it might be a dense, vibrant, and urban neighborhood again, rather than the blight it mostly is right now.
I'll be glad to modify my observation, fourthwarden. As soon as we see the city offering billions in financial support for projects in this area, like it does for Midtown.

Unfortunately the city has allowed this area to languish for half a century so there's a lot of catching up to do. I guess we'll see.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'll be glad to modify my observation, fourthwarden. As soon as we see the city offering billions in financial support for projects in this area, like it does for Midtown.

Unfortunately the city has allowed this area to languish for half a century so there's a lot of catching up to do. I guess we'll see.
I outlined the projects I knew of off the top of my head. I am certain there are many more. What do you call the millions (if not billions) planned to be spent on projects in this area? Does that just not matter at all? Do the planned (and at funded) heavy rail, light rail, streetcars, buses, roads, bike facilities, trails, paths, and parks not register simply because Midtown is also getting attention as well?

Why?

Midtown is a grown and growing part of the city, dense and urbanizing, and in need of additional transportation options.

Bankhead / Grove Park are underbuilt, historically impoverished areas in need of revitalization.

It just so happens that a project for one, can be to the benefit to the other. In this case, the Midtown Crosstown Streetcar which will serve both, as well as the frequent bus service and Green Line capacity upgrades.

Then there are projects which can benefit the city as a whole as well as the undeserved areas, like the BeltLine, the Westside Reservoir, and the Proctor Creek greenway.

For more local projects, there're all the street upgrades.

Why is it that, because a project happens to serve more than one area, it is suddenly not meant for those worse off, and is, apparently, only for the already booming parts of town?

The fact is, MARTA and the city ARE dedicating millions, if not billions, to this area, and we will likely only see more spent on it as the area begins to fill in again.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:33 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,467,298 times
What's really irritating is that from the several houses in the first photo, the homeowners obviously make an effort to at least keep their yards neat, even if they don't keep fences in top shape (probably an issue of $). They obviously take some pride in their homes. And yet the owners of these apartment buildings and empty lots don't bother to mow the yards or clean up graffiti. Why doesn't the city impose fines for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta