Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:10 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,717,744 times

Advertisements

Hi Atlanta forum!

I will be visiting family in late November, but will also need to get in a long run (anywhere from 10-18 miles..not sure yet) on a Friday or Sunday. Being from Austin, I am a big fan of the loop around Lady Bird Lake. I would like to run in a populated, yet safe area where I might see some other people, but not be on top of them. Where I'm from there can be some concerns about people attacking solo female runners, so safety is super important. I have found a few options such as the Silver Comet Trail, and Nancy Creek Trail which is very close to where I will be staying. I want to make sure I find the right spot to be safe and near some bathrooms or places to stop and grab some water. I'm not opposed to driving to get somewhere nice, and even cliche where I might be able to "see" Atlanta on my run.

Any suggestions? Any threads I might have overlooked while doing my search? (And I apologize if this has been asked before and welcome any redirection)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 09:20 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,717,270 times
A few options here

https://pathfoundation.org/trails/trail-descriptions

Old 10-09-2017, 07:30 AM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
I would check with a local running club, like maybe these folks:

About » Run With MARC » Metro Area Running Club

Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Hi Atlanta forum!

I will be visiting family in late November, but will also need to get in a long run (anywhere from 10-18 miles..not sure yet) on a Friday or Sunday. Being from Austin, I am a big fan of the loop around Lady Bird Lake. I would like to run in a populated, yet safe area where I might see some other people, but not be on top of them. Where I'm from there can be some concerns about people attacking solo female runners, so safety is super important. I have found a few options such as the Silver Comet Trail, and Nancy Creek Trail which is very close to where I will be staying. I want to make sure I find the right spot to be safe and near some bathrooms or places to stop and grab some water. I'm not opposed to driving to get somewhere nice, and even cliche where I might be able to "see" Atlanta on my run.

Any suggestions? Any threads I might have overlooked while doing my search? (And I apologize if this has been asked before and welcome any redirection)

Thanks!
I'd recommend the Stone Mountain Trail in the link above. The stretch along Freedom Parkway into Candler Park is nice with a good view of the skyline. If you are coming from the direction of downtown, you can also veer off the main trail at the Golf Course and follow the concrete path to the Olmstead linear parks along Ponce de Leon. Olmsted Linear Park Alliance You could head into downtown Decatur along Ponce where there are plenty of commercial establishments. If you are doing closer to 18 miles, you could loop by Emory University's Lullwater Lake (taking Clairmont from downtown Decatur is the straightest route) before heading down Clifton or Lullwater Road back down to Ponce de Leon and the linear parks. https://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking...rsity-atlanta/

Other than the Belt line, you won't find anyplace nearly as busy as Town Lake. The Beltline is relatively short. There's a nice view of the skyline and commercial establishments nearby, but its mostly hemmed in by overgrown areas with chain link fences. Piedmont Park, Atlanta's main park, is at one end of the east Beltline, and is a nice place to run, but you would either combine Beltline/Piedmont Park with running through neighborhoods or do a double loop to get to 10 miles.

The biking community seems much more active here than the running community, so almost all the trails are concrete. You can find soft surfaces in the linear parks and around Emory University. No cinder trails anywhere.

I might recommend Downtown Decatur-Emory University-Druid Hills-Virginia Highlands to Piedmont Park for a "pretty route" through neighborhoods, but with the irregular street grid, you would probably get lost!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 AM
bu2

Not that its a great route when the roads aren't closed, but FYI, this is the Peachtree Road Race course (10k point to point held July 4th with 60,000 entrants starting near zip 30319). https://www.atlantatrackclub.org/par...se-information

Old 10-09-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'd recommend the Stone Mountain Trail in the link above. The stretch along Freedom Parkway into Candler Park is nice with a good view of the skyline. If you are coming from the direction of downtown, you can also veer off the main trail at the Golf Course and follow the concrete path to the Olmstead linear parks along Ponce de Leon. Olmsted Linear Park Alliance You could head into downtown Decatur along Ponce where there are plenty of commercial establishments. If you are doing closer to 18 miles, you could loop by Emory University's Lullwater Lake (taking Clairmont from downtown Decatur is the straightest route) before heading down Clifton or Lullwater Road back down to Ponce de Leon and the linear parks. https://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking...rsity-atlanta/

Other than the Belt line, you won't find anyplace nearly as busy as Town Lake. The Beltline is relatively short. There's a nice view of the skyline and commercial establishments nearby, but its mostly hemmed in by overgrown areas with chain link fences. Piedmont Park, Atlanta's main park, is at one end of the east Beltline, and is a nice place to run, but you would either combine Beltline/Piedmont Park with running through neighborhoods or do a double loop to get to 10 miles.

The biking community seems much more active here than the running community, so almost all the trails are concrete. You can find soft surfaces in the linear parks and around Emory University. No cinder trails anywhere.

I might recommend Downtown Decatur-Emory University-Druid Hills-Virginia Highlands to Piedmont Park for a "pretty route" through neighborhoods, but with the irregular street grid, you would probably get lost!
Thanks for the detailed response. I knew I wouldn't find something exactly like Town Lake but doing some research I see there are lots of trails and spots to run, just not any extra long spots that directly connect.

I'd welcome more suggestions!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM
bu2

Oh, and be prepared for hills. It won't be like running on flat Town Lake. More like doing a run to Mt. Bonnell.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Oh, and be prepared for hills. It won't be like running on flat Town Lake. More like doing a run to Mt. Bonnell.
Good thing I'm getting ready for the Austin Full! (I like Town Lake for the lack of hills...whoops...)

Old 10-09-2017, 09:04 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,717,270 times
Alpharetta Big Creek Greenway is another option.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:25 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions? My trip is this weekend and will need to do a 9 mile run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta