Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 02:14 PM

37 posts, read 35,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight08 View Post
I'm a somewhat recent grad, who just left a lesser paying entry level job. I just started my new job downtown and I'm hoping to find a nice 1BD 1BA in the Vinings/Smyrna/Dunwoody areas. I'm single with no kids, but I'm currently paying back student loans. I prefer a safe area that's close to the city, and has a fair amount of fun things to do.
sup james
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 02:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
You will be fine. You will learn how to live within proper means, an art lost on many young grads that they will surely regret later in life. How much do you think the typical fresh grad makes? Atlanta does have teachers, police officers, and firefighters. Look up their salaries some time. If you can't do it, your spending is not in sync.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:38 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You will be fine. You will learn how to live within proper means, an art lost on many young grads that they will surely regret later in life. How much do you think the typical fresh grad makes? Atlanta does have teachers, police officers, and firefighters. Look up their salaries some time. If you can't do it, your spending is not in sync.
Those folks get special discounts on rent in many cases.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:57 PM

Where do teachers get discounts on rent?

Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Where do teachers get discounts on rent?
It's quite common actually; they tend to fall into the same category as police and firefighters: https://www.google.com/#q=teachers%2...iscount%20rent

Old 02-02-2017, 11:03 AM

I've never actually known a teacher to receive a discount on rent, but the point is there are plenty of professionals out there surviving on similar incomes. Newspaper reporters, junior publicists, human resource professionals, even first year architects and engineers sometimes don't make much more than that. The point is that $39k is perfectly livable. It just means you won't be on the Beltline ubering everywhere and eating every meal out. And the majority of Americans don't do those things, this board is really skewed.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:05 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times
You can live on it, but I wouldn't say "comfortably".

Old 02-02-2017, 05:33 PM

1,180 posts, read 984,841 times
I lived comfortably on that in the Chamblee area.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 PM

225 posts, read 369,129 times
You can live on 39k a year in Atlanta.

Here are some tips I used after graduation. 1 year out of school now.

1. 39k is not your true income, figure out your net income after taxes and deductions. I would start planning after my first paycheck. You know exactly what you are going to be making - the overtime.

2. Make a budget you would like to spend every two weeks or a month. Your apartment shouldn't be anymore than 30 percent, I like to shoot for 25 percent, of NET income.

3. Check out some income-based properties in the CITY.
a.) One that many people do not know about is SKYHOUSE SOUTH.
b.) There are similar properties such as Skyhouse in downtown, midtown, west midtown (west highlands), and Buckhead. You just have to call around and see. NO PROMOVE will not have them. sn: I wish I could have gotten them.

4.) Do not sweat 39k. Many people do not realize making 50k, you are still making close/midpoint to a 1,000 when adding deductions, taxes, savings, and being single. (story of my life). And I make a little extra. Its not hard by any means but I was expecting more coming out of college. I was more so looking at Gross instead of Net. OOOOOOH boy was in for a shocker when I received my first pay check. IMHO, you are probably making 100 to 300 dollars less than somebody making 45k, or 50k.

5.) Just live way below your means and you will be fine. Look for deals when you go out: 25 cent wings and 2 wells. I use to live off of these deals especially on the weekday and weekends. I use to spend only 10.00 and still had a great time. Furthermore; most restaurants and bars have deals all the time.

6.) Its hard out here for us millennials but we are a hopeful and mobile group.

7.) Forgive me for any run on sentences and grammar issues

8.)Good Luck

Old 02-02-2017, 08:12 PM

I had a similar situation, and can provide this advice: set up a special savings account. When you do have the opportunity for overtime, just live like you never got it at all and put all the extra money in the savings account immediately. That way, it is there when you need it instead of squandered. Trust me, the down payment of my house was made up almost entirely of overtime. Without that savings, I don't know where that money would have gone. And I bet I would have been stuck paying PMI instead of having 20% to put down on decent home. Also max out the 401(k) contribution percentage that your employer matches. It hurts, but you'll be thankful when you start to watch it really take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta